Menu

American Girl with Time travelers

I posted yesterday about curriculum for American Girl. While looking at what I have for each time period I found my Time Travelers curriculum I forgot I had. These two together look like it could make a great way to study American History. 5-6 weeks in a time period will cover a great amount of history.

Felicity plus Colonial Life and American Revolution (10-12 weeks)

Kirsten plus Early 19th Century (5-6 weeks)

Addy plus The Civil War (5-6 weeks)

Samantha and Kit plus Industrial Revolution through the Great Depression (10-12 weeks)

Molly plus World War II (5-6 weeks)

Our school year might be 42 weeks but I don't find this a problem, we school year round with breaks here and there.

I've never heard of Time Travelers curriculum. I'll have to check that out. DD doesn't like history, but she loves AG and all the books. I don't think she realizes she's doing history when she read them.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/

We did the Explorers a while ago and had fun. Lots of hands on but easy to get supplies.

Sounds like a great idea. Are you planning this for next year? I am thinking about trying something similar for next year. Would love an update as you plan.

Yes, next year dd will be in 3rd. I am one to start next years planning as soon as the new school year begins. Since I will be doing my own thing, so to speak, I want to start gathering and making tentative plans now to see where this might lead. Just from a cursory view yesterday it looks like it could really be a great year, lots of hands on, lap booking and American Girl involvement. Using the Welcome to ____ World book will be our jumping off point. From there I will add in time traveler where needed or to just add in something I want to cover. I will definitely make the different period dresses (or buy used) for her AG doll as we cover a time frame. There are craft books, cook books, and paper dolls for each of the AG dolls, so these will be used also.

I will be happy to update you once I actually put a schedule down.

We are doing Time Travelers this year (a few lessons from New World Explorers, since we covered most of this last year; plus all of Colonial Life and American Revolution) along with Sonlight Core D. You could add some of their books and have a great year of study!

AG actually has Learning Guides that go along with each series of books. They are a little "light" but my 8 year old DD was very excited when I printed one off for her this week. :001_smile:

https://t3400.myubam.com/p/1671/historical-house-complete-collection-6

Have you seen these other books that are similar to AG girl books. I bought these too, because I know how much my oldest dd loves the AG books.

I am getting sooo excited about this idea of yours!! Thanks so much. '

I just love all the brainy ideas you all give on here!!!

I found my Time Travelers curriculum I forgot I had. These two together look like it could make a great way to study American History.

This is exactly what I'm planning for my DD this year! (We will start in a couple of weeks.) I also have some of the My America and Dear America books; Scholastic sells a 70-page Teaching Guide pdf for the DA books, which I picked up for $1 (along with lots of other lapbooky-type American history activities) during their last Dollar Days sale. I also bought a subscription to Cicero (through HSBC), and we have lots of documentaries. (DS will be skipping the AG stuff. ;) He'll do TC courses instead.)

Using the Welcome to ____ World book will be our jumping off point.

I've been so impressed with these books! I have all of them except Kit (still looking for a cheap used copy of that one). I wish they had continued the series, I would love to have them for all the AGs.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno