Menu

Help me pick some books for 'spooky' (or fun) October reading for *me*...

For the past few years, I've tried to read some 'spooky' books during October. I'm starting to think about what I want to read next month & would love some suggestions. (Just nothing too extremely creepy, please. :tongue_smilie:) I'm looking for anything that might fall into the creepy/spooky/campy/fun type reading to get into the Halloween mood. I'd love to have 2-6 books to read this year. For sure, one of them will be Dracula (a re-read for me & one my book club is reading this time). A couple I'm considering are John Dies at the End by David Wong and The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan. Has anyone read those? Comments?

Here are some I've read already:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Monsters: Mary Shelley & the Curse of Frankenstein by Dorothy & Thomas Hoobler

Aura by Carlos Fuentes

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker

The Gold Bug (& other stories) by Edgar Allan Poe

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Judgement of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 by Kim Newman

World War Z by Max Brooks

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Thanks! :lurk5:

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

oh, yes!!!! and The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters (this one raised the hair on the back of my neck)

:)

Loved The Historian when I read it a few years ago. Excellent book.

Will have to look up The Little Stranger (though it sounds like it might be too spooky for me, lol).

Surprisingly, "An Irish Country Girl" by Patrick Taylor. It's not a "scary" book, but it has a spooky factor because of a ghost and the main character's ability to see said ghost factor heavily into the story. Great read.

Cool. Will have to look it up!

But depending on your kids you might like them to also do something spooky and go with Jim Weiss Spooky Tales (a 1 hour audio book)

There's no way my kids do spooky. I love Halloween, but my family (dh & kids) hate spooky stuff, so we only do cute/nice Halloween. Oh how I wish I could create the house/yard that scares the stuffing out of you. :tongue_smilie::lol: (But, my family would riot, so I don't.) They won't even go into the specialty Halloween shops w/ me. :tongue_smilie:

There's no way my kids do spooky. I love Halloween, but my family (dh & kids) hate spooky stuff, so we only do cute/nice Halloween. Oh how I wish I could create the house/yard that scares the stuffing out of you. :tongue_smilie::lol: (But, my family would riot, so I don't.) They won't even go into the specialty Halloween shops w/ me. :tongue_smilie:

Well I agree with your kids. :)

You could always give the Jim Weiss a listen than post a detailed review so the rest of us will know how truly scary it is. (I'm to scared to find out)

You could always give the Jim Weiss a listen than post a detailed review so the rest of us will know how truly scary it is. (I'm to scared to find out)

:lol: If I do listen to it, I will let you know. (I rarely do audiobooks, though. Do you know if there is a print version?)

Loved The Historian when I read it a few years ago. Excellent book.

Will have to look up The Little Stranger (though it sounds like it might be too spooky for me, lol).

Cool. Will have to look it up!

You would love my dd. She hasn't done "cute" for halloween since she was 3. The creepier the better for her!

We have a graveyard complete w/ glowing footsteps every year. Spider webs everywhere, and last year she bought a ghost on an invisible string that travels in the air across the yard, complete w/ spooky sounds!

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury?

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan is a newer one I've heard is creepy with a twist.

Blindness by Jose Saramago--the book is much better than the movie! lol

Michael Koryta writes some ghost story novels that are pretty good.

Psychological thrillers, I love Ruth Rendell! Thirteen Steps Down, The Tree of Hands, and A Judgment in Stone are two faves.

I think Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris was very scary!

If you're OK with some graphic content, the female serial killer in Chelsea Cain's books is chilling: Heartsick is the first...

I'll throw in a classic Stephen King: The Shining

I liked The Terror by Dan Simmons (but it's long and the ending was slightly unsatisfying) and am looking forward to his newer horror/suspense called Summer of Night

Hope something here fits the bill!

Here's an interesting list from NPR - top 100 Killer Thrillers. It's a diverse group of books and seems to be a mixture of horror and mysteries. Don't see how they relate to each other. Out of that list I've read 13.

On my shelves I have a few scary ones:

Bram Stoker's Snakes Pass

Dean Koontz Odd Thomas

T.L. Hines The Dead Whisper On

Dan Simmons The Hollow Man

Ted Dekker's The Priest's Graveyard

Here's an interesting list from NPR - top 100 Killer Thrillers. It's a diverse group of books and seems to be a mixture of horror and mysteries. Don't see how they relate to each other. Out of that list I've read 13.

On my shelves I have a few scary ones:

Bram Stoker's Snakes Pass

Dean Koontz Odd Thomas

T.L. Hines The Dead Whisper On

Dan Simmons The Hollow Man

Ted Dekker's The Priest's Graveyard

Cool list! I've read 12 of them. Primal Fear is a great book!

Prior to looking at the list, I would have guessed that I would have read 5 or fewer as I don't consider killer thrillers my type of books.

However, I've read at least a dozen on the list, maybe a couple more (can't totally remember). I've also seen variations of at least 18 of them in movie form....

Thanks for the link. Will have to pull a few more titles from it now that I realize I'm brave enough to handle at least some of them... :tongue_smilie::lol: