Menu

Logic question

We just started homeschooling this year and DD is in 7th. I bought Art of Argument to use for logic. We started reading it today (just the introduction part) and she had no idea what I was talking about. Honestly, some of it was even hard for me to understand, although I am sure I would get it if I kept going. She has always been young for her age if you will. So I think I am going to shelf it for now and try again once she matures a little and gets her reading and vocabulary up to speed, because I think she would then understand some of the terms better. Waiting until 8th should be alright, right?

On the other hand, she loves doing logic puzzles. I bought her a Perplexors workbook that she absolutely loves. I had looked at other Logic workbooks before and most of them seemed too young for her or too easy. Any recommendations for logic puzzle workbooks that are fun but still challenging?

Thanks!

You could try these books (some are available as software) by Critical Thinking Co:

Building Thinking Skills

Mind Benders

Red Herring Mysteries

Critical Thinking Books I & II

We've used them all (except CT II) and are going to try Art of Argument this year for ds12.

There are samples and descriptions on their website.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/index.jsp?code=c

I'm using this with a 7th grader who struggles in many subjects and a very bright 9th grader who has had Traditional Logic I and II. I am reading or summarizing aloud and then we discuss. I quickly dropped the feeling that I had to read every word or expect the younger one to remember the categories. Once you get to the actual fallacies it is easier to understand, so I just summed up most everything up to that point. Now we read one fallacy once or twice a week. Even my 5th/3rd graders are getting something from being in the room while we do it. I also have the Fallacy Detective to refer to if we need more examples. Ideally I would understand this thoroughly and have lots of other examples form real life to give to them, but I'm not there yet. They are still benefiting and I think my 7th grader particularly needs this. I am also trying to do Traditional Logic with her alone in a similar way, not doing the exercises but discussing/reviewing the concepts. We'll see how it goes;I'm not necessarily recommending that you do both. If you want to talk more you can send me a PM.

I am reading or summarizing aloud and then we discuss. I quickly dropped the feeling that I had to read every word...Once you get to the actual fallacies it is easier to understand, so I just summed up most everything up to that point.

I'm just starting Art of Argument with my 7th grader and this is my impression. I'm not going to wade through all the introductory material in detail. He's somewhat familiar with informal logic via Fallacy Detective, so we'll summarize the long-winded bits at the start and then move on to the fallacies ~which, as Kendall said, are more manageable.

With Critical Thinking I, the Instuctor/Teaching guide has tips for teaching and has all the "answers", but it does not restate the questions (it's a very thin book). The Student guide has all the explanations and questions, but no answers. If you are very comfortable with teaching logic, you could omit the Instructor guide, but I found it very valuable. You can get samples of the contents on the critical thinking website.

With my ds11 we did both read aloud together and some he did on his own (his choice). We always went over everything together and tried to get other family members involved (it helped to have different viewpoints). It is written to a classroom audience, but that doesn't really pose a problem.

Hello Anna,

Dd (12 yo) has been working through the "Critical Thinking Series" published by Remedia Publications.

When she is finished with the series, she will be moving onto "Critical Thinking Book 1" by Anita Harnadek.

(Available for previewing at http://christianbook.com)

A fun way to teach logic is to have the student solve mysteries.

Dd is presently enjoying "You're the Detective" by Lawrence Treat.

The Veritas Press website has several mystery books listed in their curriculum syllabus. http://vertiaspress.com

Warm Regards,

Kathy

:001_smile:

No harm at all in waiting; typically, the logic and abstract reasoning portions of the brain (also used for Algebra) don't tend to start maturing in students until age 12-14.

Since your student is young and hasn't had any formal logic before, I'd actually suggest going with the Logic Lift-Off with Logic and Orbiting with Logic first. Just enjoy a page or two a day. Don't be put off by the stated "grade levels", as these are great for gentle intro into topics of logic, thinking logically, and problem-solving -- which are all skills you'll use going through a formal logic program.

Welcome to homeschooling, BTW! And hope you and your family have a *super* year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Hello Anna,

Dd (12 yo) has been working through the "Critical Thinking Series" published by Remedia Publications.

When she is finished with the series, she will be moving onto "Critical Thinking Book 1" by Anita Harnadek.

(Available for previewing at http://christianbook.com)

A fun way to teach logic is to have the student solve mysteries.

Dd is presently enjoying "You're the Detective" by Lawrence Treat.

The Veritas Press website has several mystery books listed in their curriculum syllabus. http://vertiaspress.com

Warm Regards,

Kathy

:001_smile:

Thank you so much! I haven't seen some of those, so I will definitely check them out. Yes, the mysteries are great.......we are doing One Hour Mysteries, and she does like it.

No harm at all in waiting; typically, the logic and abstract reasoning portions of the brain (also used for Algebra) don't tend to start maturing in students until age 12-14.

Since your student is young and hasn't had any formal logic before, I'd actually suggest going with the Logic Lift-Off with Logic and Orbiting with Logic first. Just enjoy a page or two a day. Don't be put off by the stated "grade levels", as these are great for gentle intro into topics of logic, thinking logically, and problem-solving -- which are all skills you'll use going through a formal logic program.

Welcome to homeschooling, BTW! And hope you and your family have a *super* year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you, I will look at those books again closer. We have just started doing things with variables and algrebraic expressions, and she does seem a little lost. If I coax her through, she seems to get it, but figuring it out on her own is not happening quite yet. Of course, it's only been a week with that stuff. Math is her best subject, so I was kind of surprised, but it may just be that her brain has not matured enough yet. The doctor was telling me something about that as well at her check-up over the summer.

That's the great thing about doing homeschooling though.......we can take more time and pace ourselves to the speed she needs!

Thanks ladies!