Menu

I regret my science choice: it's the 1st day of school

UmMusa

Not sure why I wasn't think along these lines earlier. I decided back in July that my 5th grader would do Logic Biology. She's been kind of all over the place in science the past 2 years, so I think I was thinking to just get her back on the 4 year rotation since she's conveniently in 5th grade.

Now kicking myself. I shoud totally have gone with Physics level from grammar stage like from Elemtal Science since it would be on her level. She's a very young 5th grader and wouldn't find it baby-ish. WhY DIDN'T I PICK PHYSICS??? She's done too much biology in the last two years and hasn't touched on physics much. it makes sense to me today, but I now have a fancy microscope, slides, reference books, and the Elemental Science Teachers/Student books.

Any suggestions? Should I try to sell it and go with Physics? It's just a lot of money to be out.

We use Elemental Science Physics. So far we really like it. My son is in 4th grade. I just asked him, and he gives it a 9 1/2 out of 10. If you did switch, the curriculum itself is affordable. We've written about our experiments on our weekly report for the last 3 weeks if you are interested in seeing how it plays out (the link is in my signature.) The readings out of the Usborne Internet Linked encyclopedia aren't super exciting, but we have checked out additional books from the library that flesh out what the encyclopedia has to offer. He actually doesn't mind reading from it. He loves encyclopedias anyway. I have him read it himself, and he is able to write his narrations pretty easily from what he has read. I love that it follows many of the WTM book suggestions for physics.

Anyway, I know you were asking if you should switch. Only you have that answer :) I thought I could at least offer you one opinion of the program you are considering. We ended up buying the books rather than trying the library.

Edited by waternclay

You are just prepared for next year. I bet you already own the USE if not you can get a used one for pretty cheap. Don't beat yourself up over something so trivial. It is not a waste of money, but rather an investment. I bet the prices on all those things you bought will increase by next year. You were wise to buy them a year early.

Haha thanks for the pep talk!

I guess why I'm really stressing is because she might go to public school next year and I want her to know a little more in the physics department than she does now.

Ok, I should just buy all the stuff for Physics and see what happens with the Biology stuff?

I guess why I'm really stressing is because she might go to public school next year and I want her to know a little more in the physics department than she does now.

I would not let this be your deciding factor. If you're really tired of biololgy stuff, then okay, maybe change. But I'd do so based on you and your children's interest and not a concern over returning to school. At 5th or 6th grade, she'll be fine with whatever science she has under her belt most likely. But that is just my two cents...

Now that I'm looking at elemental science and considering the 4 year cycle, I'm making myself dizzy. My 2nd grader is doing Elemental Earth and Space which is perfect for her. Why don't I just use the higher level encyclopedias and have my 5th grader do the same subject with us this year?? I am so unable to make a decision about this for some reason. I mean, if I'm going to ditch Biology Logic then I might as well piggyback with the Earth/Astronomy and have them both on the same page so to speak!

Now that I'm looking at elemental science and considering the 4 year cycle, I'm making myself dizzy. My 2nd grader is doing Elemental Earth and Space which is perfect for her. Why don't I just use the higher level encyclopedias and have my 5th grader do the same subject with us this year?? I am so unable to make a decision about this for some reason. I mean, if I'm going to ditch Biology Logic then I might as well piggyback with the Earth/Astronomy and have them both on the same page so to speak!

I'm doing both Earth/space with my 2nd grader, and physics with the 4th grader. I thought about doing what you said here too. I basically agonized about it a well. So far it's been easy to do both. We do the 2 day schedule. Both boys always want to see what experiment is happening, so they're learning both on different levels. You could totally do the earth/space with both though, and save some money :-)

I'm doing both Earth/space with my 2nd grader, and physics with the 4th grader. I thought about doing what you said here too. I basically agonized about it a well. So far it's been easy to do both. We do the 2 day schedule. Both boys always want to see what experiment is happening, so they're learning both on different levels. You could totally do the earth/space with both though, and save some money :-)

Yeah, I think it would be easier to be on the same subject... but DD10 is getting all snarky with her 7yr old sister and hates it when she interrupts her or gets excited about something.. she's all "be quiet" with a valley girl accent. I asked the older DD if she could handle doing the same topic as her sister and not get the attitude on when Little Sister gets excited and talks about what she read. Big Sister seems to be very intrigued with the Earth/Astronomy subject that she's willing to play nice.

and now I need to sell my expensive microscope and biology stuff.... or I should wait till I know how far I will homeschool the kids. I feel like this might be mylast year. I"m not digging it and it's making me stress.

We did ES Earth Science and Astronomy last year and really enjoyed it. We still can't bring ourselves to take down the giant solar system we created and hung on the ceiling. There are so many add-on possibilities for these subjects. Bonus points if you live close to a planetarium or space center. Look into a local geology club, too.

If we're voting... ;) I vote save the biology for another year, or even for another child (no money out -- just advance purchasing) and go with the physics! It's not too late at all to change to what you *want* to do, and feel would be the best *fit* for this year. No point in having a knot in your stomach all year, when this is easily changed. Have a super school year, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

But what she does for science next year in public school will not be affected by what she does for science this year. So there's no reason to "stress" over it. Just do what you like, and what your dc like, and enjoy it for this year. It will be fine.