Menu

Is money the only gift for a bar/bat mitzvah?

Dc are the age when the bar/bat mitzvah invitations arrive. The IRL (non-Jewish) people I asked all said to give money in multiples of 7, $77 being especially propitious. I am looking for some opinions because:

a) $77 is lot of money to me. As a matter of fact, so is $35 (5 x 7), if I don't know the people terribly well, even though I really like them, KWIM?

b) But I don't want to be cheap. I mean, don't want to look cheap.

c) Something in my waspy soul rebels against money as a present -- not quite right.

d) On the other hand, I don't want to be the type who has a pastrami sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise.

So............sugesstions????????

We gave my nieces watches with Hebrew numbers, and those were a big hit. At least, they seemed to like them. :D I don't know where I found them, I must have ordered them online, or found them at an art show.

I don't think monetary gifts are a must, but money gifts are always appreciated, although I thought it was multiples of 18 that particularly meaningful? Maybe it can differ. Half my family is Orthodox (Jewish), part tends toward atheism, part is some sort of non-denominational Christian. Makes for interesting get-togethers. Anyway, not being in the OJ half, I could have the number mixed up.

We gave my nieces watches with Hebrew numbers, and those were a big hit. At least, they seemed to like them. :D I don't know where I found them, I must have ordered them online, or found them at an art show.

I don't think monetary gifts are a must, but money gifts are always appreciated, although I thought it was multiples of 18 that particularly meaningful? Maybe it can differ. Half my family is Orthodox (Jewish), part tends toward atheism, part is some sort of non-denominational Christian. Makes for interesting get-togethers. Anyway, not being in the OJ half, I could have the number mixed up.

I heard 7, but it was from someone in my church, so it may or may not be accurate.......

It is multiples of 18. A lot of kids around here give gift cards to popular stores instead of actual cash.

Can someone explain the tradition to me?

Around here, spiritual or religious milestones are not normally associated with gifts. So, if one is invited to a confirmation open house, baptism, etc., gifts are generally not given except by maybe the closest relatives and the godparents. I'm kind of lost on that.

Is there some unspoken rule that every guest must bring $18.00 or multiples of $18.00? Is it $18.00 per person in a family attending the event - so that would be $54.00 for dh, myself, and youngest who has a Jewish friend and will be invited this spring? I'd like to know so I could figure this out. I was going to make a twin size quilt for him...something really nice in his favorite colors and representing his personal hobbies. Though we aren't what I would call close friends with the parents, ds and their son are "thick", so to speak, and that's why ds asked me to make the quilt. He was even going to do some cutting and sewing on it too which I thought was very sweet. But, maybe that would be considered very poor taste.

:bigear: Faith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah This might help explain the reason and it is nothing to do with the amount of money spent on a guest at the event. So often is a fine fountain pen the gift that there is a joke about this. "Today I become a ...fountain pen."Instead of the statement today I become a man or woman as the case may be. I think any gift given with love will be received in love and gratitude for sharing such a special day. If you are Christian and asked to a bar or bat mitzvah know that whatever gift you bring it is appreciated and loved.

at my bat mitzvah most of the gifts were money, but I also got a necklace with my name (this was the 70s), a thesaurus (this is the only thing I still have), a candle set for doing shabbat, and i think some more ordinary gifts from non-jewish friends. I'm pretty sure my mom bought unabridged dictionaries for at least one of my cousins, and I think several. But i clearly remember kids (in synagogue and family members) comparing how much cash they got (i always had the smallest amount). i dont think they would be offended at a personal gift, esp from someone who isnt jewish, but it is traditional to give money. Its supposed to be almost like graduation, not a birthday, a milestone once-in-a-lifetime thing. i guess second to a wedding? idk, i've only been to one jewish wedding and i had a fever . . . .

the quilt does sound sweet to me though!

FWIW, we had a year of bar/bat mitzvahs when I was in junior high and my parents just said, simply, "We're not paying for gifts. You can attend the events if you want, but we're not giving presents to all those kids." I recall being mortified at the time, but as far as I know, no one ever noticed or cared.

Edited by kubiac

I am Jewish. If you're going to give cash, the relevant multiple is 18, which is the numerical value of the Hebrew word for "life." However, I would not sweat this At All. Cash is definitely appropriate, but so are personal or other gifts, and in any event you should not be extending yourself financially to do this. Some older relatives may (or may not) give more substantial gifts, but for a friend of the kid? I'd go with a book or iTunes certificate and call it good. It's fun to get something that doesn't go straight into the bank anyway.

I still regularly use my bat mitzvah candlesticks and have a number of Jewish-themed books with early 1980s copyright dates on the shelves downstairs. Do people still give savings bonds as gifts, for anything? I held on to mine for 20 years and then finally cashed them in so DH and I could furnish our first apartment. Thanks, Mom's siblings, for the EKTORP sofa!

Edited by JennyD

Around here, spiritual or religious milestones are not normally associated with gifts. So, if one is invited to a confirmation open house, baptism, etc., gifts are generally not given except by maybe the closest relatives and the godparents. I'm kind of lost on that.

Is there some unspoken rule that every guest must bring $18.00 or multiples of $18.00? Is it $18.00 per person in a family attending the event - so that would be $54.00 for dh, myself, and youngest who has a Jewish friend and will be invited this spring? I'd like to know so I could figure this out. I was going to make a twin size quilt for him...something really nice in his favorite colors and representing his personal hobbies. Though we aren't what I would call close friends with the parents, ds and their son are "thick", so to speak, and that's why ds asked me to make the quilt. He was even going to do some cutting and sewing on it too which I thought was very sweet. But, maybe that would be considered very poor taste.

:bigear: Faith

No, it's not $18 per person. And I think the quilt would be a lovely gift, and he would be very appreciative of the fact that you put so much of yourselves into it.

Besides the gift of fountain pens, watches, and jewelry with your name in Hebrew on it, a religious item is also appropriate for a bar/bat mitzvah: prayer books for the Sabbath or High Holidays, Hebrew Bible (with English translation is nice), candlesticks for the Sabbath (particularly for the girls), a menorah for Hannukah. Money is not the only option.

Hebrew letters have numerical values (not unlike Roman "numerals").

The letter word "Chai" (life) is made up of the letters "Chet" and Yod. Together they have a value of 18. Giving in multiples of "18" is a symbolic way of saying "to life!."

The study of the mystical value of words is called "gematria." Gematria is a bigger focus of Hassidim and many Orthodox that it is in practice with Reform and Orthodox Jews, but for gift-giving and charity given in multiples of 18 is a custom that is widely followed by all.

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah This might help explain the reason and it is nothing to do with the amount of money spent on a guest at the event. So often is a fine fountain pen the gift that there is a joke about this. "Today I become a ...fountain pen."Instead of the statement today I become a man or woman as the case may be. I think any gift given with love will be received in love and gratitude for sharing such a special day. If you are Christian and asked to a bar or bat mitzvah know that whatever gift you bring it is appreciated and loved.

That is hysterical!

I am Jewish. If you're going to give cash, the relevant multiple is 18, which is the numerical value of the Hebrew word for "life." However, I would not sweat this At All. Cash is definitely appropriate, but so are personal or other gifts, and in any event you should not be extending yourself financially to do this. Some older relatives may (or may not) give more substantial gifts, but for a friend of the kid? I'd go with a book or iTunes certificate and call it good. It's fun to get something that doesn't go straight into the bank anyway.

Besides the gift of fountain pens, watches, and jewelry with your name in Hebrew on it, a religious item is also appropriate for a bar/bat mitzvah: prayer books for the Sabbath or High Holidays, Hebrew Bible (with English translation is nice), candlesticks for the Sabbath (particularly for the girls), a menorah for Hannukah. Money is not the only option.

I love these ideas, but I would be a bit nervous that I might get something that was too liberal or too conservative. Or just wrong somehow. Like if someone gave me a particularly saccharine biography of a Christian saint....

Hebrew letters have numerical values (not unlike Roman "numerals").

The letter word "Chai" (life) is made up of the letters "Chet" and Yod. Together they have a value of 18. Giving in multiples of "18" is a symbolic way of saying "to life!."

The study of the mystical value of words is called "gematria." Gematria is a bigger focus of Hassidim and many Orthodox that it is in practice with Reform and Orthodox Jews, but for gift-giving and charity given in multiples of 18 is a custom that is widely followed by all.

Bill

I remember that from doing Bible study with a Torah commentary (Plaut's). The 'mystical' numbers are fascinating. But I had not known about 18 being the number for bar/bat mitzvahs.

-----------

So, I think I will give money -- $36 somehow sounds nicer than $35. Do you give a check or cash? Send it ahead or give it at the event. The one we have been asked to is a two-day event (Saturday & Sunday), of which we will only be able to go to the Sunday part, sadly.

At my Bat Mitzvah it was a mix of money, savings bonds and gifts. The gifts were just normal gifts you would give a teenager. I got a boom box (this was the eighties :tongue_smilie:), a tote bag for traveling, some jewelry, and a stuffed elephant (that I'm not ashamed to admitt still sleeps in my bed). Probably other things too, but I can't remember. I gew up in Conservative Judaism and this was the norm in at least my 20+ bar/bat mitzvah class.