Menu

weight of test questions, does this sound right?

I think essay should have more point value, then short answer, then multiple choice and fill in the blank. I'm thinking on a 35 question test, 20 multiple choice and fill in the blank at 2pts each, 10 short answer at 3pts a each, and 5 essay at 6pts each. Does this sound about right or would you weight it differently. This is my first effort at assigning grades. :blushing:

If by "essay" you really mean "paragraph response", then that sounds very reasonable.

If you are talking full page or multi-page responses on the essay portion, I would personally give those more weight because they will take more time for the student to do a decent job.

If by "essay" you really mean "paragraph response", then that sounds very reasonable.

If you are talking full page or multi-page responses on the essay portion, I would personally give those more weight because they will take more time for the student to do a decent job.

:iagree: If the essay questions are really essays, I'd drop the multiple choice to 1pt and make the essays 10pts.

I would think carefully about how long the essays are going to be. Five seems like a lot in an average test if they are full essay questions, if they are one paragraph only then five would be okay. You could test yourself writing the answers to a couple or all of them to see how long they take you.

Yes, the test publisher calls paragraph response answers essay questions. :001_rolleyes: