Menu

Rod and Staff SPELLING users- can you tell me your thoughts on this?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I may not be the best to respond first! I LOVE R & S! We've used it for going on 4 years. I'm NOT a huge fan of their spelling. In my (very!) humble opinion, they seem to be a little behind comparative programs.

To stay in keeping with the curriculum, I simply move mine up two levels. My 4th grader is doing the 6th grade spelling program this year. Here are a few examples of some of his words at the 6th grade level:

closet

cabbage

syllable

headache

excess

exercise

I do LOVE the fact that they still incorporate phonics / rules even in the older grades.

Hope that helps!

Tammie

Spelling by Sound and Structure is my favorite traditional spelling series. The word lists are not necessarily difficult, but they are words that are in the children's vocabularies, and the activities (fourth and up) are very challenging.

As a Spalding geek :D some things that make me crazy, but that is true of every non-Spalding spelling method, lol.

I've used it for years, and we have the entire set in our school closet now. All four of my students use it.

You won't find any fluff or gimmicks here, but the instruction is solid, effective, short 'n sweet, and gets the job done painlessly.

Grades 2-5 are workbooks. Grades 6-8 are textbooks, that don't really require much more writing than the workbooks aside from labeling a notebook sheet. The 7 and 8 books turn the phonetic instruction down a notch and focus on root based vocabulary instead.

The teacher editions include the student pages with answers filled in, extra teaching tips, and sentences for the quizzes.

I don't really have a dislike for this one.

You can see samples at www.rodandstaffbooks.com (a distributor), but keep in mind the strength is not in the word lists; it's in the exercises. This series isn't about memorizing an arbitrary list of words; it's about learning the rules and how to apply them.

Don't try to place your children in R&S spelling by just checking out the word lists--check out the workbook exercies. SilverMoon is right; the strength is in what they DO with those "simple" word lists. The activities (mostly) have the children think through and apply the rules of spelling.

Two of my boys use it a year ahead; boy #3 uses it at grade level.

I find it easy for the older boys to do independently. Big plus for all of us. :001_smile:

Don't try to place your children in R&S spelling by just checking out the word lists--check out the workbook exercies. SilverMoon is right; the strength is in what they DO with those "simple" word lists. The activities (mostly) have the children think through and apply the rules of spelling.

Two of my boys use it a year ahead; boy #3 uses it at grade level.

I find it easy for the older boys to do independently. Big plus for all of us. :001_smile:

:iagree: My oldest is using it a little ahead of grade level, and the words are mostly words that he would need to write. I've seen huge improvement in his spelling during writing because R&S has him thinking about how words are spelled and why (if there is a reason why).

I believe the samples at rodandstaffbooks.com include the entire word lists in the back of the books. I order directly from the publisher though, not the website company. It's a phone call, but they're great to work with, and shipping is a tad cheaper.