Menu

What is your best advice for a beginner?

bttrflyvld

We are Just starting out. My daughter is pre-k and we have had a lot of fun so far this year. Planning our our year though, I found that I starting too much! There is so much great stuff out there it's easy to get carried away. I did recognize what I was doing and backed off. I know their will be bumps in the road and you have to transition as needed, but I was wondering if you had 1 bit of advice that I could learn from you?

1.) Most people change curriculum/philosophies several times before finding their grove.

2.) Sometimes what works for years suddenly doesn't work anymore. That is okay.

3.) Don't curriculum hop, but don't stay committed to a curriculum once you know it isn't working.

4.) The first year is the hardest. Really. It doesn't matter what age your child is when you start, that first year is hard.

5.) It does get easier. Really. It does.

6.) Relax and have fun. The time goes by fast.

7.) Every family is different. What works for one may/not work for your family.

1.) Most people change curriculum/philosophies several times before finding their grove.

3.) Don't curriculum hop, but don't stay committed to a curriculum once you know it isn't working.

4.) The first year is the hardest. Really. It doesn't matter what age your child is when you start, that first year is hard.

:iagree:

Put the relationship first - above all else. Don't assume a curriculum is 'bad' because your child whines or cries about doing school (at least early on). The best advice I was ever given was from my husband, and that was to take the emotion of out it. Just because your child might be a roller-coaster of emotion from time-to-time does not mean that YOU need to be! :tongue_smilie: If that does not make sense now, it might someday!

Put the relationship first - above all else. Don't assume a curriculum is 'bad' because your child whines or cries about doing school (at least early on). The best advice I was ever given was from my husband, and that was to take the emotion of out it. Just because your child might be a roller-coaster of emotion from time-to-time does not mean that YOU need to be! :tongue_smilie: If that does not make sense now, it might someday!

:iagree::iagree: Both these are excellent advice. Be sure to enjoy the ride because much of it is discovering as you go.

Welcome to the homeschooling world!:001_smile:

Relax! Enjoy this time together and allow spontenaity to guide you! You won't be able to do that as easily or often in the later years. Also, remember that just because they *can* learn something doesn't mean they should (or that it's the right time). Playing, experiencing the world (unstructured) is so very important for their learning and development that curriculum shouldn't replace it - only add to it.

Best wishes!

My top advice is...RELAX. (Giving this advice to myself as often as possible...STILL.) Your children have a natural proclivity to learn. They may not learn WHAT you think they should be learning WHEN you think they should be learning it, but they will learn. Learning is what God made children to do :).

Welcome, and have fun!

We are Just starting out. My daughter is pre-k and we have had a lot of fun so far this year. Planning our our year though, I found that I starting too much! There is so much great stuff out there it's easy to get carried away. I did recognize what I was doing and backed off. I know their will be bumps in the road and you have to transition as needed, but I was wondering if you had 1 bit of advice that I could learn from you?

The two bolded words above do not go together, IMHO. She is still a young child, so have a few resources on hand in case she asks for something specific (like learning to read), and plan some fun, no-stress educational activities. She still has twelve full years (beginning two years from now) to learn all things academic. She only gets to be a young child exploring her world once.

Develop good habits. That's you, the kids, the house, discipline, cleaning routines, cooking, caring for self, anything. Just sayin'. :D

:iagree: There are hundreds of posts here from people who are miserable and living in chaos because they didn't get/use the opportunity to develop these habits in themselves and their family members before homeschooling became a full-time profession. Take advantage of the time you have now, you won't get another chance at it.

With young children, especially babies and toddlers: Flexibility! What starts working may stop a few weeks later. Last week, my preschooler wanted to do an entire page of handwriting. Today he did three lines. Last week my toddler took two naps a day. This week she's been taking one three hour one. Who knows what she'll do tomorrow. My first grader varies between being able to handle a lot and get it all done in a day to resisting and not wanting to do anything. For a preschooler especially, STOP all formal lessons as soon as they start to shut down. There's a fine balance between stretching their limits and breaking those limits. Learn where that line is with your daughter and stop once she's past the limit.

Learn how to make things your own. Tweak the schedule, organization, teaching methods that work for you. There are a TON of good ideas out there. I used to be frustrated that I couldn't take someone else's method and copy it. There is a learning curve that you'll figure out as you go along. If you're a perfectionist like me, don't let this cripple you.

More reading, more reading, and more reading.

Great advice! Thanks everyone.

Develop good habits. That's you, the kids, the house, discipline, cleaning routines, cooking, caring for self, anything. Just sayin'. :D

:iagree: at the age yours is at, having them mind you is paramount. Also, I know that is can be hard to see the forest for the trees at the beginning... Remember you have about 13 years to do this. It all doesn't need to happen in Pre-k;). Decide on your basics for this year, maybe some reading instruction, learning games, math basics, learning to obey cheerfully and putting their things away when they are finished using them. Throw in lots of read alouds and you will be golden. Then, next year assess what is important for that time. Over the long haul, you will have ups and downs, but keeping academics and character training balanced will give you lots of fruit to enjoy along the way...

Good luck, it is an AWESOME journey!

Wow, that's good advice! I need to remember that one. Thanks!