Menu

When you need to talk to someone in your house,

do you go to them and talk, or do you call out for them until they come to you? I always go to the person I need to talk to, whether it is ds, dh, fil, or mil. I may call out if I need immediate help with something important. This is not true of some of the people in this house. Ds will call me if he knows I'm in the next room, but otherwise he will come to talk to me where I am. Mil and fil call me until I come to them, no matter what I am in the middle of. I could have my hands in soapy water in the kitchen, and they will call me into the living room to talk about something. They know I am doing dishes or whatever, but they still do it. Dh does a bit of both. I don't recall my parents or other family members calling out for me to come talk to them, unless we were outdoors and they were calling us for dinner. I feel this behavior is rude, unless it is for an emergency situation. What say the hive?

do you go to them and talk, or do you call out for them until they come to you? I always go to the person I need to talk to, whether it is ds, dh, fil, or mil. I may call out if I need immediate help with something important. This is not true of some of the people in this house. Ds will call me if he knows I'm in the next room, but otherwise he will come to talk to me where I am. Mil and fil call me until I come to them, no matter what I am in the middle of. I could have my hands in soapy water in the kitchen, and they will call me into the living room to talk about something. They know I am doing dishes or whatever, but they still do it. Dh does a bit of both. I don't recall my parents or other family members calling out for me to come talk to them, unless we were outdoors and they were calling us for dinner. I feel this behavior is rude, unless it is for an emergency situation. What say the hive?

I'm like you.

I wouldn't call your in-laws' behavior "rude," but it is certainly annoying, on so many levels.

I guess I can go with annoying for the first 1 or 2 times while I'm in the middle of something, but after that I start thinking it is rude...:001_smile:

I'm like you.

I wouldn't call your in-laws' behavior "rude," but it is certainly annoying, on so many levels.

We're trying to break the habit of just yelling through the house. We just yell back and forth sometimes. It's awful. The house is small enough that it works (so to speak) but it's annoying.

I think unless there is a need for a quick response - "Hey! Can one of you kids go out in the yard and shut the dog up?!" - the person who wants to speak to someone else should go find him.

This is quite a bone of contention in our house. My boys just yell. Sometimes I'll ask one of them to go and tell whoever that a meal is ready and rather than go and tell whoever, they stand right next to me and yell. We have quite a big house and mostly yelling is ineffective, and, as I point out to the offender, if I thought it was the right thing to do I could have just stood there and yelled myself. Anyone who yells for me from another room gets ignored, unless there's blood and/or broken bones involved :tongue_smilie:.

Yes, it's rude. Maybe start listening to loud music on an iPod with earphones?

Oh, man, this is one of my pet peeves! I maintain that, barring an emergency situation, one should go find the person one wants to speak to. I hate unnecessary yelling through the house! I think it's rude to expect the other person to stop what they are doing and come find you to see what you want. It makes me feel like I'm a servant answering her boss. Not cool. Ds is getting better about this, but still does it sometimes.

Wendi

Oh, we're definitely yellers. I set a terrible example but I own it.:D I asked DS to tell his sister it was dinner time (she was upstairs) and it took two seconds for him to load up a giant bite of air...:lol:

To his credit, one of these :glare: was all it took for him to rethink his plan. He turned on a dime and walked up the steps.

I call.... but then they come to me to find out what I want... so usually I call child's name and say "Please come". Outside of my immediate family, I go to them unless I'm deep into something messy in the kitchen and really just need someone to hear me (like close family or friends).

We go to the person, no calling out. Why would I expect that the other person to come to me, as if I am more important than they are? That just seems rude.

I could see maybe if they are sickly, and it was hard for them to get up or walk. Then they should be able to call and have you come. And a child might be called, I suppose, though there you are setting an example you might regret.

I think it's a great idea to start wearing earphones. :001_smile:

Do this, "I can't hear you because I am in the middle cleaning up in here! Come sit in this room and we will talk! " if you say it cheery- like no one knows you are annoyed and they stop talking to you unless they want to get off their butts. :D we have an unspoken rule, go to the person you want to talk to unless they are upstairs or in the basement. We are lazy, we call each other on our cell phones. :D

We're pretty strict about not yelling across the house. We might call somebody to dinner, but even then if it requires more than a slightly-louder speaking voice, we'll approach. No yelling, please.

I never realized how stringent we are about this until last week. My son was in the middle of an online class (so couldn't leave his desk) and needed a book. He called out to ask me to get it and was really worried that he'd be in trouble for yelling. I assured him there are exceptions that don't involve blood or floodwaters. :)

I'll call quietly if someone is nearby and I'm in the middle of something work-like--not if I'm just hanging and reading, for example, but if I'm folding laundry or washing dishes and need someone quickly. But if the person isn't close enough to hear me calling quietly, then I go and find them; I don't just keep shouting louder and louder until they show up. I do think that's quite rude. My kids have picked up on the calling part but not on the "If you call me once or twice and I don't come, YOU come to ME!" part.

We don't typically go shouting through the house for people, though it does happen occasionally. I don't mind "occasionally," but I won't allow it to become a habit.

Usually the person who wants to talk goes to the person, although as parents, we do feel we have the right to call the kids downstairs or inside or whatever if it's something important.

My mother usually calls me and expects me to come to her, but she is 84 years old and getting around has become a little harder for her. I'm happy to do that for her.

Sometimes in our two-story house we actually call or text each other on our cell phones if one person is upstairs and the other downstairs!

We're bad, I guess. Both DH and I call the children, and they know to come. I stomp twice on the floor if I need DH. His office is directly below mine and I rarely go down there. He is a very messy person and I am very neat, so it stresses me out to see just how messy his space becomes. This way I don't have to see it and no one gets nagged! :tongue_smilie: He tends to text me quick questions, or comes up if needs something. Sometimes he calls me from the top of the stairs.

I call for the boys if they are upstairs. If they are down, I call down the stairs to them to come up. The boys call each other the same way, but they tend to come to DH or I if they need something. I've never thought about it really until now, it's just the way we do things! So maybe people aren't purposely being rude, just old habits die hard?

I call to the kids. It would take too long for me to round them up, and half the time I don't know where they are. When they aren't with me, they have the run of the house and acreage.

The kids aren't allowed to call for me unless they have an emergency situation. With 5 of them, that happens constantly. Someone has a toilet accident = call to mom. The toddler gets into a top bunk bed = call to mom. They get stuck in a tree or bleed = call to mom.

It depends on what my hands are doing. I'm likely to call out for them if I'm busy, and sometimes I don't know where they are, so once they respond I go there.

People rarely do this to me though. They know where I am (I'm pretty much always in the kitchen.) and come in there if it's important.

It all depends:

Situation A: My arm is up the rear-end of a turkey at 6:00 a.m. If I need dh, I yell my ever loving head off until he gets out of bed and comes. :D

Situation B: The boys are upstairs, I am downstairs, and the oven timer is going off, someone is at the door and I'm on the phone, the dog is going nuts because the rabbit got loose, or I'm soaking my bad ankle - yelling, ahem, I mean calling down, will occur. :biggrinjester:

Situation C: I'm not presently occupied with something I can't put down so I go to them directly.

Faith