Menu

9/11 for a 9yo

I think only you can judge that. My 6yo is pretty sensitive in some ways, not in others. Last year, we were watching the news when Osama bin Laden made headlines. We ended up talking all about it. And then as 09/11 approached, we not only looked at pictures, but watched videos of what happened. He's had no ill effects from it and I think it helped him be able to process what happened, but I know many children wouldn't be able to (or at least I know many parents who say they couldn't).

No advice, but I wanted to say thank you for talking about it with her. I have a teen cousin who a few years ago posted some very insensitive things on her Facebook page and when I pointed out how rude it was she claimed that she didn't remember anything of the day (even though she was old enough when it happened) and no one had talked to her about it and how it wasn't a big deal.

So thank you.

No advice, but I wanted to say thank you for talking about it with her. I have a teen cousin who a few years ago posted some very insensitive things on her Facebook page and when I pointed out how rude it was she claimed that she didn't remember anything of the day (even though she was old enough when it happened) and no one had talked to her about it and how it wasn't a big deal.

So thank you.

I appreciate this. Someone came and put memorial flags on our mailboxes, so I was explaining to Rebecca that we needed to leave them up for a while.

the heroic adventures of the john j. harvey fireboat is a good starting place. I floundered across it when we were reading about fireboats with my then four year old - had NO idea. it doesn't talk about the why's, just the "this is what happend, and this is what the john j henry did to help."

eta: my dd was in school in NY when this happened, so she was calling me freaking out. (her school ended up shutting down for a couple days because of the dead associated with the school.) she'd only started college two weeks previously. so, my concern about talking about it is a son who can easily work himself into hysterics and panic attacks.

Edited by gardenmom5

Hands of a child has (had) a great lapbook on the topic of 9/11 that I helped my 4th grader with last year. Also we read the book The Little Chapel that Stood. I did not buy the book, i found a link to the book on the internet. (warning, i barely mae it through the book. She loved it though) After 9/11, I picked up the book Understanding September 11, which is written at a kid reading level. I find her reading it frequently.

I know all about the crying part. The other day, I mentioned about the plane that crashed in the field in PA as part of the 9/11 events. The boys wanted to know why the plane was crashed in a field. I started out fine, but by the time I got to the part about the passengers saying good bye to their families on their cell phones, I got completely choked up and couldn't talk for a minute or two.

Don't be afraid to talk about it. My 9yo is quite sensitive also, but we have talked about 9/11 a lot, especially as we live near DC. I have told her my "where I was" story, which was particularly interesting to her as I was watching TV for dh's parents who were at the Today Show when the planes hit.

We have also talked about that being why we have so much security to deal with when we fly. They are trying to keep us safe so it doesn't happen again. Talking about how we are safe goes a long way to helping her deal with difficult or scary topics.

Edited by athena1277

Look, *I* was just able to watch some broadcasts on it Sunday night. Just this year. And I was glued to the TV, with my heart pounding like I was watching it the first time. Which I did, because I got a call after the first plane hit, and I sat and cried the whole morning. We have family and friends in there and we were frantic to find out if they were OK (lots of people from my area commute, and worked in the Towers). My first responder neighbors were driving in to help.

If they are sensitive, I would just keep it to a light list of facts and answer questions. That TV footage will be there forever, they can watch the more graphic shots later as they mature.

I've always talked about it with my kids, but I've been selective on the footage they watch. They don't need to see the people jumping just yet.

Rebecca was awake when the news hit about OBL, so we briefly discussed it, but not the 9/11 part. I really don't want to give her nightmares, but am I doing a fourth grader a disservice by not really informing her about this?

I have talked to my now 8 and 6 YOs about this. In very simplistic terms we told them what happened.

• Bad guys flew planes into two very tall buildings.
  • The buildings collapsed/fell over.
  • Lots of people were hurt, and lots of people lost friends, parents, etc.
  • We also mentioned Washington DC and the brave people on Flight 93.

They both seemed to "get" it, and they asked a few follow up questions. We have yet to show them actual pictures. I cannot believe it was nearly 11 years ago. The pain has not subsided at all with time.