Menu

No SPEND Wk #2

9/4 $9 for an unplanned purchase of underwear :lol:

9/5 $0 so far, with $0 planned

9/6 $8.95 for coconut oil and a chocolate bar (since my coconut oil was cheaper than I had planned I got the girls and I a bar to split :) )

9/7 $99.68 for groceries and $50.32 for gas. Then $7 for milkshakes for dh and I after we went to a funeral last night. (It was SO hot and crowded...the urge hit us)

9/8 hopefully nothing today.

9/9 $0 (other than our tithe which I take out of our bills budget)

9/10 $0

-$65.00 until 9/14

Edited by Apryl H

Not really a weekly summary, but here's where I'm at now. My September goal is $600 for groceries (normally $700/mo but I don't have to go to Costco this month). On September 12 I have already spent $315. Sounds bad I know, but I spend more at the beginning of the month and less at the end. I think I have 3 more weekly shopping trips to fit in this month, so they need to be more in the $90 range.

$190 groceries 9/1

$39 gift for dh bday 9/2

$57 for gas 9/2

$27 on gift for nephew.9/3

$3.50 coffee and donut planned as part of eating out budget 9/4

$3.79 milk 9/4

$7.00 face soap 9/4

$0 9/5

$3.50 9/6 coffee and snack to get me through work. This is budgeted for, however :)

$0 9/7

$137 groceries 9/8

$44 pool filter...needed :( u

$80 dog food for at least 2 months. Budgeted for. 9/9

$45 school supplies. Mostly planned and needed, except for $22 hole punch which ds broke when trying to hole punch cloth 9/9

$0 9/10

My goals are to stay in budget this month and start thinking about xmas.

9/2 $114.69 Stuff for the house- replacing tea towels, mitts, sheets, lightbulbs, etc.

9/3 $13.00 groceries

9/4 $41.07 groceries, 26.12 drum sticks/music book

9/5 $0

9/6 $151.24 groceries

9/7 $20.00 date night dinner

9/8 $58.42 groceries, $10.00 lunch at farmer's market,

9/9 $39.40 business expense

9/10 $39.87 groceries, $95.20 clothing, $11.79 fabric for dd's sewing class

9/11 $50 for dd's sewing class

That puts me at:

$303.60 spent out of $900 possible for groceries = $596.40 left

$277.80 spent out of $450 for all other expenses = $172.20 left (ACK)

$50 activities (pd from a diff. fund)

I have not done a thing for xmas. I can't believe how much I've spent so far.

9/4 $9 for an unplanned purchase of underwear

9/6 $8.95 for coconut oil and a chocolate bar (since my coconut oil was cheaper than I had planned I got the girls and I a bar to split :) )

9/7 $99.68 for groceries and $50.32 for gas. Then $7 for milkshakes for dh and I after we went to a funeral last night. (It was SO hot and crowded...the urge hit us)

9/10 $0

9/11 $19.75 on groceries. (I knew I wouldn't make it until Friday!)

-$84.75 until 9/14

So far this week (since it is only Tuesday) I have spent:

$1.83 on onions. Does it count if I scrounged around the house for change for the onions? Dh in a cleaning frenzy this weekend threw away three perfectly good dry onions. I am not sure what he thought was wrong with them. I have three ceramic cookie jars on my counter top all painted by my MIL in the '70s. I can't throw them away, so I use them for storage of onions, garlic & packaged snacks. I looked in one this morning and there were no onions. I asked Dh where they were & he said,

"Who would put onions in a cookie jar? I thought they must be rotten."

Because cookie jars are the perfect storage place for rotten onions.

Anyway, most of my meals require onion in some form, so I bought them with the contents of the change jar.

Amber in SJ

Yesterday was a BAD day for me. My $10 coupon didn't work at Kohl's (though the same one worked for both dd's). I think the ladies who checked me out were clueless and I was running so very late that I couldn't stop and have them figure it out. :glare: Because we were running so very late for church after Kohl's, we didn't get dinner before church and had to grab fast food on the way home afterwards (we live 30min from church and were already starving).

So $9.10 for a very cool sweater wrap at Kohl's. (Should have been $0 though) and around $8 for fast food off dollar menus for me and the girls.

Otherwise I have been staying within what we have budgeted for each category for the month. Oh, except dd's birthday, I spent an extra $30 for a birthday cake and ingredients for a special birthday dinner.

After I budgeted everything out this month I didn't have enough $ for everything so I chose to not pay my utilities in full (they are good about working with me) because I want to make sure that I have enough $ for gas for work and groceries. I now have $30 to last until 9/21 left over and hopefully I can put some of that towards what I still owe for my utilities. I do have enough meat to last but little to go with the meat. I'm going to do my best to eat only what I have on hand in my kitchen and just figure out how to make a meal out of it. :) I know that I WILL need milk, though, and likely I will need more than what I budgeted for gas. So, here is my hope to save as much of that $30 as I possibly can:

9/11- Unexpected expense of $8 for cub scout dues through Jan. My Mom is supposed to be reimbursing me on this. AND I was running late so I had to go to the expensive grocery store for my mushrooms that I needed for the crockpot and then turns out that I won't even be making that meal until Friday- gah! (the mushroom were part of my grocery budget so they didn't come out of the $30)

9/12- $0 other than budgeted expenses (gas) AND we ate a FREE meal at my daughter's preschool. I'm on the policy council and they feed us AND reimburse us for our gas mileage. I have to make our groceries stretch for another 8 days so having a free meal REALLY helps. Made sandwiches for at work for today and tomorrow. I've been just skipping lunch to save $ but I realized that I'm much grumpier when I don't eat lunch and then I want to snack before dinner and I'm not so nice of a mommy. :) I DID get the tuna for only .60 a can, though, back a couple of weeks ago when there was a sale.

9/13- I was given a bottle of spaghetti sauce and I already have noodles and bread. Spaghetti for dinner most likely.

I'm hoping to record ways that I have saved money out of my budget, too, so that I can keep track of where I have a little wiggle room in my budget. This month I had to not pay the full bill on my utilities, so Im hoping to save a little bit of $ so that I can catch up.

ETA some other details to keep motivating myself.

Edited by lovinmomma

$190 groceries 9/1

$39 gift for dh bday 9/2

$57 for gas 9/2

$3.79 milk 9/4

$7.00 face soap 9/4

$0 9/5

$3.50 9/6 coffee and snack to get me through work. This is budgeted for, however :)

$0 9/7

$137 groceries 9/8

$45 school supplies. Mostly planned and needed, except for $22 hole punch which ds broke when trying to hole punch cloth 9/9

$0 9/10

$0 9/11

$6 9/12 groceries

Edited by Halcyon

$190 groceries 9/1

$39 gift for dh bday 9/2

$57 for gas 9/2

$3.79 milk 9/4

$7.00 face soap 9/4

$0 9/5

$0 9/7

$137 groceries 9/8

$0 9/10

$0 9/11

$6 9/12 groceries

$32 for vit c and d, sudafed medicine...i have a bad cold and had to i to work.

$6 canned goods for charity

$755.80 left for month

We have a tax bill coming up so i am going to need to dip into our emergency fund as it is higher than expected. So i wll need to replenish that...not that it was huge to begin with........we also have a huge medical bill that we are trying to negotiate down, and then figure out payments for.

Edited by Halcyon

Total as of 9/10: $484

9/11: $5 for 3 pregnancy tests and two candies from Dollar General

9/12: $7 for the salads I eat - this will feed me two lunches!

Total as of 9/12: $496

9/13: $40 another xbox controller :glare::glare::glare:, feeder mouse

Total as of 9/13: $536

(update = not pregnant!;))

This thread has just become even more important to me as DH called to say everyone has been put on 1/2 time. The last time this happened was 2008-2010. I can not do this again. We are still recovering. We have one in college with the other 1/2 of her tuition due Dec. 30th. We have one who just got braces. She was supposed to get them on in 2009 but we couldn't afford it; now we have a $180 monthly bill for them.

I know the answer is to breathe; in and out, in and out.

Amber in SJ

This thread has just become even more important to me as DH called to say everyone has been put on 1/2 time. The last time this happened was 2008-2010. I can not do this again. We are still recovering. We have one in college with the other 1/2 of her tuition due Dec. 30th. We have one who just got braces. She was supposed to get them on in 2009 but we couldn't afford it; now we have a $180 monthly bill for them.

I know the answer is to breathe; in and out, in and out.

Amber in SJ

:grouphug: i am with you. We have lots of upcoming bills and i am really nervous.

9/4 $9 for an unplanned purchase of underwear

9/10 $0

9/11 $19.75 on groceries. (I knew I wouldn't make it until Friday!)

-$84.75 until 9/14

9/12 $0

9/13 $438: $345 on groceries (Sam's run for the rest of the month or longer) $57 on school materials, $36 on fall clothing for dd, the rest on my lunch and coffee while out yesterday)

This (after bills and payday today) leaves me with $850 in the budget for groceries and misc until the 28th. I'm hoping to put a bit of that into savings next payday. I have $30 budgeted towards fall clothes this payday. I'm trying to get as much at thrift stores as possible, and spread it out a bit over the next month or so. We are also hoping to take a small trip for our anniversary the 2nd week of October so I want to put some aside for that.

$190 groceries 9/1

$39 gift for dh bday 9/2

$57 for gas 9/2

$3.79 milk 9/4

$7.00 face soap 9/4

$0 9/5

$0 9/7

$137 groceries 9/8

$0 9/10

$0 9/11

$6 9/12 groceries

$32 for vit c and d, sudafed medicine...i have a bad cold and had to i to work. 9/13

$6 canned goods for charity 9/13

$51 groceries 9/13

$24 frontline for cat 9/13

$708.82 left for month

I've never done extreme couponing (or much couponing at all mostly because I'm challenged in the organizing department). However, Amazon has this extreme couponing e-book for free right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WPD5SU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007WPD5SU&linkCode=as2&tag=entfreebkpst-20

Thought some of us might be able to use it.

I have just started extreme couponing and my challenge was always the organization when I tried before. I found the Krazy Coupon Lady site to be very helpful with organization.

This is our first month trying the no spend challenge. We aren't fully there this month but I am learning a lot to apply to next month. This post helps to keep me motivated and accountable.

I set aside $20 for our small shopping this week...I only get paid once a month so I do our large shopping at the beginning of the month, need to work on getting that cost down.

We stick to the list on the fridge that we need, I grab only those pages from my coupon binder and head to the store.

This week I bought 1 gallon whole milk, 5 containers of yogurt, 2 strips of yeast, kool aid drink mix packets and butter for a total of $13.77

DH just took the remaining $6.71 to the store as we started baking tonight and realized we needed more brown sugar and regular sugar.

We have not eaten out this week! Have stuck to our meal plan and had pizza tonight made from fresh dough, left over sauce and cheese from wednesday's lasagna.

We are baking sandwhich bread for the next week, zucchini bread for my MIL, and apple cobbler!

$190 groceries 9/1

$39 gift for dh bday 9/2

$57 for gas 9/2

$3.79 milk 9/4

$7.00 face soap 9/4

$0 9/5

$0 9/7

$137 groceries 9/8

$0 9/10

$0 9/11

$6 9/12 groceries

$32 for vit c and d, sudafed medicine...i have a bad cold and had to i to work. 9/13

$6 canned goods for charity 9/13

$51 groceries 9/13

$24 frontline for cat 9/13

$5 gas 9/15

$10 snacks 9/15

$9.10 dining out 9/15

$16.08 school supplies

$24 babysitter for our anniversary

$107.62 groceries 9/16? Doing well staying out of center aisles. Only packaged food purchased was some cereal and a box of cookies for dh.

($140 speeding ticket for dh-he will contest, not due for a couple months, so not counting it

$636.72 left for month(added 100 to our grocery budget as i was being too ambitious)

Edited by Halcyon