Menu

So, if you don't have Memory Work to "show off" :)

SonshineLearner

I admit I'm having some withdrawals from the memory work program that we use to be in... My parents were so sweet and would brag on my son. It's not that they don't brag about him now, but before they had so many more ditties to brag about :) He sounded so "smart".... this year is an evening out year. It just is not the same for me.... Homeschooling is not the same and I'm feeling deflated. It's not about him; he's fine :)

I looked over the memory work to see if I want to continue it and it just doesn't look overly important. I'm not sure about if it's worth it. I think he might have had a happier learning experience if we had never been involved....

I'm trying to encourage "freer learning" time :) I want his little spark back, instead of drudgery at the age of 9 :(

Anyone else trying to figure out what's important for their kiddos?

There is a lot of research on why memory work is important. It grows your brain. This year, after splitting from a group that did a lot of memory work, I have related their memory work to what they are learning. For example, we are learning about creation and the 10 commandments, so they are learning a poem about creation and have memorized the 10 commandments. I have them memorizing countries of the world, Bible verses, and poetry from the IEW poetry program. So, basically everything they are memorizing, they are learning about. It just makes more sense to me.

Beth

Why not memorize some fun stuff? Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization has some good, funny poems. I'm going to have my sons memorize "IF" by Rudyard Kipling - it will be longer than anything else they have memorized. I hope they will be proud of their success in memorizing something that long, as well as enriched by its content.

We are going to be doing more memory drill this year, using MP's guides. And I'm doing some family memory work as well as LDTPM and scripture memory for each child. So memory is getting a more prominent place this year.

I'm not sure about [grand]parental bragging rights... maybe he could write them a nice letter, or make a card? Pictures of what he's done - any projects? Sports? Awards like the National Mythology Exam (I think that's the right name)? Does he like to write fiction? Nanowrimo runs a young writers program, free downloadable workbook to help write a story in November. (I want to do that with DC, I think we will start the workbook planning sections in October, so we are prepared to write the story in November.) You could get it published at a place like Createspace or Lulu and buy a few copies for relatives.

There is a lot of research on why memory work is important. It grows your brain.

Beth

Beth -- could you reference this? I would agree that memory work enhances the neural connections related to it, and involves growing new ones; but it is not clear to me that memory work per se ought to make up a large chunk of early education. I should say DH is a neuroscientist (I stopped my PhD to homeschool, and have a master's), and so we naturally know lots of brain & cognitive scientists, and memory work is not a focus of any of the scientist-parents we know. They are more interested in leveraging any bilingualism, and in music lessons. That said, I haven't searched primary literature lately ...

But still, question of whether memory work has any benefit is different to whether it is important -- and how much of it is desirable -- for a particular child. Well, maybe that's the question :) ...

To the OP: I think the elementary years are sort of investing. If your child was not thriving, and is coming closer to thriving, that is what to look for. Some little ones are like those proverbial bamboos -- they sink roots deep, and build up all sorts of invisible resources, but don't take off for years. It is so important not to judge our successes by what other people think of our children: that leads to a very unhealthy mommy-Olympics!

I wish I had more perspective and support for this. It's so hard and lonely, I think ... esp. because other children may very well be thriving in just that memory-work program that doesn't suit your little one, and their mamas have happy children who also show off well for the grandparents! My older son, Button, is precocious mathematically but oh, goodness, is he a handful and a half. Nobody thinks he is just a delightful, clever little boy. Well, except DH and I on a good day. But we are building up character, and giving lots of love, and providing lots of challenges ... and I'm definitely in the place of figuring out what's best for this kiddo, and not feeling in the sweet spot at all.

I wish I got some sort of reliable assessment for my homeschooling job!

:grouphug:

PS: I've really enjoyed Charlotte Mason resources for support around these sorts of things. Milestones Academy and Simply Charlotte Mason have articles that I've found very healing and also inspiring and useful.

PPS: and ditto to Beth and mtcougar RE doing memory work that's topical, if memory work is something you want to pursue for your own purposes.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Beth -- could you reference this? I would agree that memory work enhances the neural connections related to it, and involves growing new ones; but it is not clear to me that memory work per se ought to make up a large chunk of early education.

I saw it in this book mostly:

http://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-Mind-Proven-Increase-Brainpower/dp/0800731875

It's about adults, but I'm assuming it applies to kids too. It's called neuroplasticity. You could probably read it on the amazon search inside this book.

Beth

In finding what is important for my kids, I look at what is important for me. I put way too much pressure on my older son at a young age, and I backed off very quickly when I saw what it was doing to his overall spirit. Who made the rules about life and learning anyway? I keep this in my mind and always consider the 'why's' in regard to anything we do.

Peace, joy, happiness, and freedom are important to me - and 'learning' and 'school' should never choke any of that out! When you said that your son might have had a happier learning experience had you not been involved - well, if he's feeling stressed, that's about you - not him. I remind myself of that daily when I start to feel tension.

I'm still learning too, but I've backed off a LOT. My kids are bright and beautiful and smart, and while I do want to provide a great education, my #1 priority goes much deeper than what they 'know' or can rattle off for family! :001_smile:

we do memory work, basically as "mental work out" and practice. i want him to learn do do memory work, just like you learn to do a research project, or you learn to learn, or you learn to read for fact not just enjoyment ... i feel memory work is a skill and as such needs to be taught and practiced.

ok so the stuff he is 'using' for memory now may or may not seem all that important, or may seem like ;busy work to show off to pa pa" :D but the skill is vital.

I have a buddy in nursing school; on a test least year they had to ID all 206 bones in the human body (206 right?). that is memory work. she is not committing poems to memory but most of her work is memory based. same for learning Chemistry equations -

learning to do memory work is learning to learn -- IMO a skill worth having

OP, I wanna know what program you were using. LOL

We were doing Classical Conversations. Basically I had already decided that the Jr High/Highschool program wouldn't work out for him. But, then things churned and I couldn't direct the program here. (so we stopped when he was 7) Then my friend and I started pulling apart the program to see what we'd still have our kids memorize... then we decided we'd do the Timeline and nothing else.

Basically, as I grew ... I decided that just memorizing random bits isn't what I wanted my son to do.

My son has an incredible memory. That's not the problem. He literally has things memorized after a couple of times. He listens to videos and has the gist and can tell it back after the first time.

I just am trying to separate my ego... what is "fun" for him to spout of... from what is good to memorize. :) I looked at his spouting as almost becoming too important. It's weird... I'm just in a weird state of mind and trying to figure out what's important to me.

I want to have him learn what is beautiful :) What is important;) I just want to make sure I'm having him learn material for the right reasons.... I've been thinking of the *true* purpose of education... and the purpose for him, individually, too :)

Thanks for the responses :) I always like hearing from others who think through these things :)