Menu

Muffins.....recipes or ideas needed

Tap

I want to start making muffins every morning like I used to when we homeschooled. I need some new ideas as we pretty much got burnt out on all of my old stand bys. It is one of the few things I can get dd13 to eat on the way out the door.

What we used to make:

Pumpkin with add ins. Cranberries, chocolate chips or nuts

Apple cinnamon by themselves or with peanut butter chips or nuts

Banana with or without walnuts

Caribbean banana with lime topping and coconut

Zucchini with nuts

Chocolate with cherries

any new ideas?

These are my default out-the-door breakfast muffins.

Pasted from a previous post:

We love these from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking cookbook. There are 8 grams of protein. The fat content is relatively high, 14 g, but 10.5 g of this is from the peanut butter. There is 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin. When I add chocolate chips, it's usually 1/2 cup.

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

4 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

3/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 t vanilla extract

2 large eggs

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 375º.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light. Add the peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add one-third of the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk. Scrape bowl and ensure even mixing. Add in the chocolate chips if using.

Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin pan. Bake until golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for five minutes, then turn out to complete cooling on a wire rack.

Some of our recent faves -- we're big muffin lovers here:

Muffins that taste like donuts: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/muffins-that-taste-like-doughnuts/'>http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/muffins-that-taste-like-doughnuts/

Banana-Pineapple Muffins: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/muffins-that-taste-like-doughnuts/

Raspberry muffins with pecan streusel: http://www.food.com/recipe/raspberry-muffins-with-pecan-streusel-287981

Triple Berry Muffins from Ina Garten: http://therecipegirl.blogspot.com/2008/04/tri-berry-muffins-by-ina-garten.html

I too love muffins, and since I'm not home in the mornings, a plate of muffins covered on the counter, and some cut-up fruit in the fridge works really well for my kids! A quick note: I generally use at least half whole wheat flour in all muffin recipes, and sometimes add a quarter cup ground flaxseed meal.

A few of our favorite recipes:

Blackberry Cornmeal Muffins (they taste like late summer!)

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (NOTE: cut recipe in HALF; bake muffins about 20 minutes). I have also made these without any chocolate, cut the [half recipe] sugar down by about 1/3, and made a streusal topping. So delicious either way!

Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Muffins

Applesauce Spice Muffins - we use chopped, toasted hazelnuts in place of pecans or walnuts

Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins - if you want sheer decadence with these, try frosting them with Nutella!

Apple Strudel Muffins - also works really well with some crisp pear in place of the apple

Okay, not a recipe but a method idea - I recently saw a pan that had wide and shallow muffin batter holes. It's supposed to make muffin tops (without the waste).

I wish I'd bought it; if I can remember exactly where I saw it, I think I'll go back and get it.

I have one of these; my SIL gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. I'm petty sure she got it at Target.

I too love muffins, and since I'm not home in the mornings, a plate of muffins covered on the counter, and some cut-up fruit in the fridge works really well for my kids! A quick note: I generally use at least half whole wheat flour in all muffin recipes, and sometimes add a quarter cup ground flaxseed meal.

A few of our favorite recipes:

Blackberry Cornmeal Muffins (they taste like late summer!)

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (NOTE: cut recipe in HALF; bake muffins about 20 minutes). I have also made these without any chocolate, cut the [half recipe] sugar down by about 1/3, and made a streusal topping. So delicious either way!

Lemon Raspberry Yogurt Muffins

Applesauce Spice Muffins - we use chopped, toasted hazelnuts in place of pecans or walnuts

Mocha Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins - if you want sheer decadence with these, try frosting them with Nutella!

Apple Strudel Muffins - also works really well with some crisp pear in place of the apple

COMPLETELY off topic, but remind me what you do? I know I've seen your profession around here somewhere, but I can't remember! lol And I hate it when I can't remember stuff like that. ;)

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/for/one-bowl-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins/13724

I made these once so far -- good! I love just about everything "lemon." (I did not include walnuts as I don't like those and I reduced the poppy-seeds to 1 TBSP - that was more than enough.);)

Edited by Vanna
needed to add a note about the poppy-seeds

Okay, not a recipe but a method idea - I recently saw a pan that had wide and shallow muffin batter holes. It's supposed to make muffin tops (without the waste).

I wish I'd bought it; if I can remember exactly where I saw it, I think I'll go back and get it.

I was at a large store (grocery/general merchandise) recently and they had muffin top pans and whoopie pie pans made by Wilton. The whoopie pie pans were on sale. I put one on top of the other to confirm -- identical pans in every way. Weird.

Wilton makes all manner of whoopie pie pans

http://search.wilton.com/?q=Whoopie#i=1&p=10BTW19.99&q=Whoopie&u1=q&u2=p

I think I paid closer to $7 than $12

Edited by stripe

These are my default out-the-door breakfast muffins.

Pasted from a previous post:

We love these from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking cookbook. There are 8 grams of protein. The fat content is relatively high, 14 g, but 10.5 g of this is from the peanut butter. There is 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin. When I add chocolate chips, it's usually 1/2 cup.

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

4 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

3/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 t vanilla extract

2 large eggs

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 375º.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light. Add the peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add one-third of the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk. Scrape bowl and ensure even mixing. Add in the chocolate chips if using.

Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin pan. Bake until golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for five minutes, then turn out to complete cooling on a wire rack.

I own that same cookbook and after seeing this post I went and pulled it out, thinking I'd make these for tomorrow. However, the recipe didn't look like a particularly good candidate for making the batter ahead of time, and I'm kind of not up for creaming butter at 6am. Have you found that the muffins themselves keep well? (Or have you tried making the batter ahead?) I wound up mixing up the batter for the bran muffins on the next page.

Whole-wheat pastry flour is such a genius product, IME. The challah recipe in that same cookbook also relies on ww pastry flour and of the many, many, many whole wheat (and other) challah recipes I have tried, that one is by far the best.

Edited by JennyD

I could eat these all day!

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

These muffins originate from a Nantucket restaurant and were first published in Gourmet magazine in 1981, and republished in their October 1991 issue under the title of “25 favorite cookies, muffins and quick breadsâ€. They are a bit of work with all the ingredients, but are worth the effort. And pretty healthy ?!

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup raisins

1-1/4 cups sugar 1/2 cup chopped pecans

2 tsp baking soda 1/2 cup sweetened coconut

2 tsp cinnamon 1 tart apple, peeled and grated

½ tsp salt 3 large eggs

2 cups coarsely grated carrot 1 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Into a large bowl sift together the flour, the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrots, raisins, pecans, coconut, and apples. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and add the mixture to the flour mixture, stirring the batter until it is just combined. Spoon the batter into well-butter 1/3 cup muffin tins (will take 2), filling them to the top, and bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until they are springy to the touch. Let the muffins cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then turn them out onto a rack. Makes about 15 muffins.

I could eat these all day!

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

These muffins originate from a Nantucket restaurant and were first published in Gourmet magazine in 1981, and republished in their October 1991 issue under the title of “25 favorite cookies, muffins and quick breadsâ€. They are a bit of work with all the ingredients, but are worth the effort. And pretty healthy ?!

you can use whole wheat flour and add oatmeal, btw, for more nutritional heft

Whole-wheat pastry flour is such a genius product, IME.

I keep meaning to try some!

I own that same cookbook and after seeing this post I went and pulled it out, thinking I'd make these for tomorrow. However, the recipe didn't look like a particularly good candidate for making the batter ahead of time, and I'm kind of not up for creaming butter at 6am. Have you found that the muffins themselves keep well? (Or have you tried making the batter ahead?) I wound up mixing up the batter for the bran muffins on the next page.

Whole-wheat pastry flour is such a genius product, IME. The challah recipe in that same cookbook also relies on ww pastry flour and of the many, many, many whole wheat (and other) challah recipes I have tried, that one is by far the best.

They've never lasted beyond the next day, so I'm not sure about Day 3. I do warm them slightly in the microwave on Day 2 if at home, but I've never heard complaints about them cold in lunchboxes.

I am soooo happy to see so many choices! We will have a months worth of muffins!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Thank you all so much!:D

I've been silently stalking this thread printing out recipes to try. :001_smile: Thanks for all the recipe ideas!

Love this thread. Haven't made muffins in a while. I'd like to start making them again. :)

The first 2 recipes below are my family's favorites.

BERRY CREAM MUFFINS

This makes a LOT (about 24 standard-size muffins), so you could halve the recipe if you wish.

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 tsps baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or mixed berries

4 eggs (when making muffins and pancakes, I always separate the eggs. I beat the whites quite well and add them in LAST. This makes my muffins/pancakes lighter and fluffier).

2 cups sour cream (sometimes I do 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup plain yogurt. You could do just plain yogurt also - healthier).

1 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Add berries. Toss gently.

Combine egg yolks, sour cream, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.

Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Add beaten egg whites.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins or until muffins test done.

----

SINFUL CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1 egg

1 stick softened butter – melted and cooled

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup chocolate chips (6 ounces)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat together eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla yogurt.

Stir flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

----

MANGO MUFFINS

yields 12 large muffins

In small bowl mix together, just until blended:

1 egg

½ C sour cream OR yogurt

½ C milk

1 t vanilla

½ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Gently stir in

1 ½ C diced ripe mangos (or peaches)

In a large bowl mix together:

2 C flour

½ C sugar

1 T baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

¼ tsp cinnamon

Make well in center and add mango mixture. Fold together just until moistened and evenly blended. Mixture will be lumpy.

Bake at 400º for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before removing muffins.

----

PEACH MUFFINS

1 3/4 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen peaches

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla

In large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.

In another bowl, mash peaches with fork or in blender.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Add to flour mixtures and stir just until moistened.

Spoon into muffin cups

Bake 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden.

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

3 cup flour

1 ½ cup sugar

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ cup butter

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 ¾ cup blueberries

2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix dry ingredients, then cut butter into dry mixture. SET ASIDE 1 CUP TO USE FOR CRUMB TOPPING.

To the remaining mixture add eggs, milk and vanilla and stir until ingredients are just combined. Fold in blueberries. Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray or use paper liners and fill each cup about two-thirds full.

Mix melted butter with reserved crumb mix and sprinkle on top of muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 18 muffins (depending on size of tins).

Grape Nuts Orange Muffins

(6 servings)

• 2 cups of sifted flour

• 2/3 cups of sugar

• 2 tsp. baking powder

• 2 eggs (well beaten

• 3/4 cups of orange juice

• grated rind of 1 orange

• 2 tablespoons melted butter

• 1 cup of Grape Nuts cereal

Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and sugar, and sift again.

In a seperate bowl, combine eggs, orange juice and rind and butter. Add to flour -- beating only enough to dampen all flour. Add grape Nuts.

Bake in greased muffin tins 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees.

Marcy Goldman claims the secret to delicious muffins is using oil, not butter, and brown sugar, with buttermilk. I tried her master muffin recipe, and it is tasty.

http://www.betterbaking.com/viewRecipe.php?recipe_id=1648

I also like King Arthur Flour's master recipe. I'll post the think to all their muffin recipes

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/breakfast-and-brunch/muffins-and-popovers

I just recently made these muffins in bulk by tripling the recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pear-walnut-muffins-10000001142032/

I left off the extra sprinkle of sugar on the top.

As usual, I baked one pan worth and froze the rest.

I use foil muffin tin liners, fill them slightly more than usual and then place the filled muffin tins in the freezer sitting as flat as possible. After a little more than an hour, the muffins are frozen enough to pop out of the tins. I then package them in a zipper freezer bag. When we want fresh muffins I stick the frozen muffin batter filled cups back into the tins and bake, adding a few more minutes to the cooking time, for example if the muffins normally bake for 20-22 minutes, I will bake them for 28-30 minutes from frozen batter. I also don't bake at any higher than 350 degrees, but that is because my muffin tins are dark.

Amber in SJ

I just recently made these muffins in bulk by tripling the recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pear-walnut-muffins-10000001142032/

I left off the extra sprinkle of sugar on the top.

As usual, I baked one pan worth and froze the rest.

I use foil muffin tin liners, fill them slightly more than usual and then place the filled muffin tins in the freezer sitting as flat as possible. After a little more than an hour, the muffins are frozen enough to pop out of the tins. I then package them in a zipper freezer bag. When we want fresh muffins I stick the frozen muffin batter filled cups back into the tins and bake, adding a few more minutes to the cooking time, for example if the muffins normally bake for 20-22 minutes, I will bake them for 28-30 minutes from frozen batter. I also don't bake at any higher than 350 degrees, but that is because my muffin tins are dark.

Amber in SJ

Thank you SO much for this tip! I never thought to freeze the batter. What a great idea!

Marcy Goldman claims the secret to delicious muffins is using oil, not butter, and brown sugar, with buttermilk. I tried her master muffin recipe, and it is tasty.

http://www.betterbaking.com/viewRecipe.php?recipe_id=1648

Wish we had rhubarb here. I miss making rhubarb desserts.

These Pumpkin Cream Cheese muffins are like crack.

These looks very yummy. :)