Menu

Unbelievable!

I sent my daughter to the computer this morning to look up synonyms for a writing project. She had to come up with six things the wind can do, so she searched for synonyms for 'blow'. Synonym.com came up with this gem: "Blow: fellate, suck, go down on"

:blink::ack2::scared::sneaky2::angry::cursing::mad:

Are you kidding me?!

The internet is not safe for anyone! And this is with protective software!!

I sent my daughter to the computer this morning to look up synonyms for a writing project. She had to come up with six things the wind can do, so she searched for synonyms for 'blow'. Synonym.com came up with this gem: "Blow: fellate, suck, go down on"

:blink::ack2::scared::sneaky2::angry::cursing::mad:

Are you kidding me?!

The internet is not safe for anyone! And this is with protective software!!

You may want to pull out the Thesaurus book and start using it. You can also get a digital dictionary.

But those are actual synonyms for one definition of 'blow'. You can't blame synonym.com, it is doing it's job. Giving synonyms for all definitions.

Thank you for posting this. It is timely for me. My 11yo's grammar curriculum requires her to come up with word origins and 10 synonyms for words, which is sometimes more than our thesaurus or dictionary has. Just today she got upset because I wouldn't let her look the word up online by herself while I was in another room. I'll look around for an online dictionary or thesaurus that is perhaps "conservative" in its choices. I'm sorry for what your dd saw. :glare:

I do have a Mac. What is the New OED and how do I access it?

Click the magnifying glass in the upper right and search for dictionary. Once it's open there's also a thesaurus option at the top. I keep it on my dock for quick access.

Sorry, it's not New OED (Oxford English Dictionary) but rather New Oxford American Dictionary.

Edited by idnib