Menu

Which martial arts to choose?

DD has expressed interest in beginning some type of martial arts this year. DH and I were discussing and would prefer it to be something that, as she gets older, would give her the ability to defend herself physically. We know nothing about any of the martial arts. Would they all result in a decent amount of self-defense skills?

DD has expressed interest in beginning some type of martial arts this year. DH and I were discussing and would prefer it to be something that, as she gets older, would give her the ability to defend herself physically. We know nothing about any of the martial arts. Would they all result in a decent amount of self-defense skills?

Probably, yes. It is really more about finding a particular school you are comfortable with than a particular type of martial art, unless she has a very specific interest such as a particular type of weapon. But even within the same type of martial art the instructors and policies at various schools can differ widely. Most good schools will let you try one or two classes for free, so I would try the ones near you until you find a good fit.

When my kids were little, we did Tae Kwon Do. The school they went to was great for them because it was focused and lots of movement - no standing around. My older two are natural athletes, but it worked well for the younger two as well who are less coordinated because you didn't have to be a great athlete in order to learn and have fun.

My older DD's friend did judo from the time she was little and loved it. I think it's a matter of visiting a couple of different places and seeing which one matches.

I agree with truscifi that schools and instructors vary widely, and that it's a good idea to take advantage of schools offering free classes. An alternative might be to sign up with an inexpensive, 8-week long program through your local city rec center to try the various types of martial arts.

I remember a thread here awhile back about girls participating in martial arts. It was interesting. It was pretty long, and might be linked in the bottom of this thread where it offers similar threads. Seems there are different opinions on girls participating in certain martial arts. Might be food for thought as you sort through the options.

My kids do mixed martial arts. Mostly because we like the instructor and the school was nearby, but as we enter our sixth year I see the practicality of it as a self-defense method. That was never our intent, just a surprise benefit. I think any martial art would be good in the sense that it can instill confidence, knowledge of body and capability, and thoughtful defense. I see mixed martial arts as being excellent at each of these PLUS practical, real life skills - moreso than, say, karate and maybe even TKD. I

might still be biased after watching Karate Kid versus Bloodsport, though. In that situation I'd rather my kid be Jean-Claude than Ralph Macchio :D LOL yeah, I know it's just a movie, but still!

My daughter is the youngest of four boys, and she's learned to hold her own using the techniques of judo, jujitsu, and muay thai. She regularly practices with them, and continues to learn how to evade being pinned down (or up against a wall), how to use her body to manipulate out of that position should she find herself in it, and techniques on how to disarm an aggressor biding her time to run/get out. But beyond all of that practical knowledge, here's what most important: she's gaining confidence in her abilities to and strength to be capably defend herself in the unlikely event she ever needs to. To that end, I think any martial arts you consistently participate in can only help!

Some families don't like the idea of girls grappling with boys. This doesn't bother me, but there are a few young ladies at our school who participate only in the muay thai (boxing). I feel like they're still getting great skills and confidence for self-defense, and would probably focus mainly on that sport should we ever re-evaluate our position on girl-boy grappling. The girls range in age from 6 to 15.

Both of my kids have been in CTF Tae Kwon Do for a while now. They have really enjoyed it, and I have been impressed with the fact that they are learning self defense without even realizing it. I think it has a lot to do with the studio where they take class, so visit a few and see what fits. Many studios will offer a free trial period to see if the child is interested. Good Luck!

Probably, yes. It is really more about finding a particular school you are comfortable with than a particular type of martial art,

:iagree: We started with Tae Kwan Do but the instructors were horrible. The atmosphere was very anti-child (strange for people who cater to kids) and they didn't teach the kids anything, just expected them to follow along with the class. We then tried a karate studio that is wonderful. We've been there for 7 years now.

As to the question about self-defense. Our school teaches the kids different kinds of defense techniques starting with the trial course. My black belt had to know all of the techniques (more than 30) for the black belt test. A lot of things that they may deal with in a real life situation (wrist grab, bear hug, punches, etc.).

If you want something for self-defense, then you really want something that has more grappling and physical contact than form - something more like judo or jujitsu than like tae kwon do. You just need to be comfortable with the idea that your little girl will get up close and hands-on with boys. They always come home sweaty and often come home bruised. It often makes me a little uncomfortable to watch, but I know for a fact that if somebody grabbed my older dd, she would react instead of panic. When they're older, they learn to choke and escape choke holds too. It is super scary to watch a practice like that. Check out several places and ask friends to find one you are comfortable with.

I studied Aikido in my college years, I tested up a few levels but moved overseas and dropped it. I never had to use it, but I was once involved in a car-jacking in the US and it did give me the ability (I think) to stay calm and think quickly what to do. I'd spent a lot of time being (fake) attacked, when I actually was punched in the face (ouch) I was able to not panic. I think that was huge, and probably would be something you would develop studying any martial art.

Definitely look for something that has more actual sparring, ground work, and direct physical contact if you are looking for something for self defense. The martial arts that focus primarily on forms or katas can be excellent for a physical activity or fitness, perhaps even competition. But most students of those arts I have spoken with have told me that they do not feel that their training would hold up well in a self defense situation.

Even worse are the students I have spoken with who have never sparred or had direct contact, and yet feel that their skills make them able to take on the world. IMO, a school that would arm students with such a false sense of safety is guilty of severe educational negligence and is doing their students a dangerous wrong.

Also, watch out for martial arts schools that pass students from one belt to the next based primarily on the amount of time/money spent and not so much on mastering the skills. Within the martial arts industry, they are often referred to as belt mills or McDojos, and they also leave students with a mistaken sense of self confidence. Many reputable schools will not issue a full black belt to any student under the age of 16 or so.

There's nothing wrong with a martial art that is based on forms/katas, so long as the student realizes that they are getting physical activity but not self defense training. Some students just love the philosophy, the history, and the feel of martial arts but have no interest in fighting. That is fine, so long as they are clear on what they are learning, and more importantly, what they are not.

Self-defense from other kids? Well, I would go with something that allowed for physical contact - maybe krav maga or kajukenbo - although wrestling, mma, bjj could be useful.

Self-defense from adults? Knife fighting.

Self-defense, though, is a lot of awareness and knowing *when* you are in trouble.

Martial arts for fun and exercise? They are all good.

If you want something for self-defense, then you really want something that has more grappling and physical contact than form - something more like judo or jujitsu than like tae kwon do. You just need to be comfortable with the idea that your little girl will get up close and hands-on with boys. They always come home sweaty and often come home bruised. It often makes me a little uncomfortable to watch, but I know for a fact that if somebody grabbed my older dd, she would react instead of panic. When they're older, they learn to choke and escape choke holds too. It is super scary to watch a practice like that. Check out several places and ask friends to find one you are comfortable with.

:iagree:

I would do some research asking for recommendations and visiting various martial arts schools. Our Taekwon-Do academy has self-defense built right into the curriculum. Children and teens learn how to defend themselves verbally and physically against bullies and people their own age, as well as learn techniques and information to prevent or defend themselves against adult attackers. Adults and higher-level teens learn how to prevent and defend against adults attackers, including on-the-ground defenses and releases, as well as defenses against weapons (though Taekwon-Do doesn't normally have weapons in it's patterns or traditional movements, to my knowledge).

There are a good number of girls and women at our academy, though the majority are males.

Every school is different and will have a different focus, though they should have a curriculum that you can look through. Participating in a couple classes and observing classes of various levels is a great idea.

DS13 is testing for his 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do Korean Martial Arts this weekend. It has been great for him, but I honestly don't see it as being much in the way of self-defense. They teach primarily using forms, however, there is some sparring and self-defense incorporated. I just don't think there is enough of the sparring and self-defense to be truly beneficial. It's like an add-on in order to say they've done it. It also seems to be far too formulaic in that they have to learn specific self-defense combinations instead of simply learning how to defend oneself by any means possible. Personally, I would go with Jiu-Jitsu and MMA if you're looking primarily for self-defense.

Edited by contessa20

I studied Aikido in my college years, I tested up a few levels but moved overseas and dropped it. I never had to use it, but I was once involved in a car-jacking in the US and it did give me the ability (I think) to stay calm and think quickly what to do. I'd spent a lot of time being (fake) attacked, when I actually was punched in the face (ouch) I was able to not panic. I think that was huge, and probably would be something you would develop studying any martial art.

:iagree: And Aikido instructors won't soak you for easy lifetime belt testing payments.

:iagree: And Aikido instructors won't soak you for easy lifetime belt testing payments.

Wouldn't that be nice! We just dropped over $500 for DS13's 2nd Degree test. And that doesn't even include a new uniform, banquet fees or traveling TO the testing location. :blink:

Our entire family does Tae Kwon Do. DH checked into EVERYTHING before making a decision! In the end, the decision is basically based on what form / school / instructor you and your daughter feel most comfortable with. Check out EVERY SCHOOL! And I mean EVERY ONE! "Sit in" on a few classes, just yourself. Get a feel for how things are run, attitudes portrayed, expectations, etc., before ever having your daughter participate. Most schools will allow a new student to take a few lessons for free as a "trial run" to see if it's going to be a fit. When you find one that exudes the attitudes you want reinforced in your daughter, then allow her to take part and see if she likes it.

All forms of martial arts have their pros and cons. The reason we chose TKD is because it it COMPLETELY defensive. The students aren't encouraged to "pick a fight," but to know how to defend themselves should one come find them :001_smile:!

I didn't see how old your daughter is -- mine is 12. In the year we've been taking I've seen a VAST improvement not only physically but mentally. You WANT to choose a "tough" instructor. NOT "mean," but one that will push them to meet their potential. You'll see changes in all aspects of her being with a little extra motivation.

Hope that helps! And......... as a Mom taking TKD, I'd say if you have the time, do it with her! Our family has a BLAST!!!!! We're about to compete in our first tournament together, we've moved up in ranks together. And..... we get to beat up on each other legally in sparring class :boxing_smiley:!! Seriously, from a mom who told the instructor the first night my kids tried it out "that's not for me!," now I'm HOOKED!!!! It's SOOOOOOOOO much fun!

Hope ya'll find one that woks for ya!

DS13 is testing for his 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do Korean Martial Arts this weekend. It has been great for him, but I honestly don't see it as being much in the way of self-defense. They teach primarily using forms, however, there is some sparring and self-defense incorporated. I just don't think there is enough of the sparring and self-defense to be truly beneficial. It's like an add-on in order to say they've done it. It also seems to be far too formulaic in that they have to learn specific self-defense combinations instead of simply learning how to defend oneself by any means possible. Personally, I would go with Jiu-Jitsu and MMA if you're looking primarily for self-defense.

I used to think the same thing before I starting taking Tae Kwon Do. The forms REALLY do serve a purpose! Forms are to martial arts what Latin is to the classical education model --- it's a MENTAL workout! When you do the same form over and over and over and YES over and over and over!!!!! You develop muscle memory. THAT is where the self defense comes in.

Our instructor told us that, and I thought (probably like you're thinking) that's a bunch of junk! But it's true! When we first started sparring and training in our self defense classes, the muscle memory from the forms really does kick in. When you see a fist coming toward your face, you've practiced a high block so much it's instinct! The first time I blocked a punch I got hit on the OTHER side of the head because I was in such shock it actually worked :lol:

Don't sell it short! It really is a good way to be prepared should something happen where your son needs to defend himself or his family. The "training" will be in him and come out at just the right now.

:iagree: My brothers took jujitsu. I had my oldest son in Karate for awhile, but I think that he would benefit more from the hands on self defense that jujitsu would teach him. My one brother gave me a long talk about the pros and cons of each of the different martial arts but I have long forgotten them. I just remember walking away thinking jujitsu. You will need to do some research of your own though.

IMO, the instructor matters far more than the art. I do Aikido, and I've been lucky enough to find some phenomenal teachers in the area. But if I moved and found myself unhappy with the local Aikido instructors, I would look for another art.

I would look for

- A school that will let you observe classes before you sign up.

- A school that when you observe the classes, the children are on-task but not intimidated.

- A school that doesn't want you to buy expensive things like uniforms immediately.

- A school that doesn't solely focus on pre-planned kata (some kata is fine, but if that's all there is many people break down when faced with something that's not in the kata).

- Honestly, a school that includes falling as part of the curriculum. Most of the people I know in Aikido have used the falling skills to escape from injury far more often than they've used any self-defense skills.

I would avoid:

- A school that offers time guarantees as to when you'll get a black belt. This usually indicates that students will get promoted regardless as to whether they actually possess the required skills, and is a frequent sign of a McDojo.

- A school that requires you to sign up for multiple months. If you can't back out, it often indicates that they have frequent issues with students dropping out and are relying on that to bankroll their operation.

- A school that has the same teachers doing many different martial arts. Doing two, sure. Doing three, maybe, if he's been training for a long long time. Doing too many usually indicates that some of them are not done well. Now, a school may have several different arts and have different teachers doing them. This is dandy and indicates that your student will probably be able to change styles if he finds something else he likes better.

- A school teaching a self-founded martial art. (Unless maybe his name is Gracie.)

I would ask about:

- How frequently mats and equipment are cleaned. The last thing you need is a staph infection. It's okay if there's things like dust in the corners of the ceiling or something, but the actual working area should be clean.

- How frequent belt tests are and how much they cost. Decide in advance if you can actually afford it.

- The instructor's training and lineage. If he's not willing to tell you, this is a bad sign. Is he affiliated with a recognized organization? If not, this may cause issues further down the road if you move -- your child may need to start from scratch elsewhere. Does he attend training to further his own education?

Best of luck finding a place that will work for you. Starting a martial art was the best decision I've ever made in my life, and I only wish I'd done it younger. :)

IMO, the instructor matters far more than the art. I do Aikido, and I've been lucky enough to find some phenomenal teachers in the area. But if I moved and found myself unhappy with the local Aikido instructors, I would look for another art.

I would look for

- A school that when you observe the classes, the children are on-task but not intimidated.

- A school that doesn't want you to buy expensive things like uniforms immediately.

- A school that doesn't solely focus on pre-planned kata (some kata is fine, but if that's all there is many people break down when faced with something that's not in the kata).

- Honestly, a school that includes falling as part of the curriculum. Most of the people I know in Aikido have used the falling skills to escape from injury far more often than they've used any self-defense skills.

I would avoid:

- A school that offers time guarantees as to when you'll get a black belt. This usually indicates that students will get promoted regardless as to whether they actually possess the required skills, and is a frequent sign of a McDojo.

- A school that requires you to sign up for multiple months. If you can't back out, it often indicates that they have frequent issues with students dropping out and are relying on that to bankroll their operation.

- A school that has the same teachers doing many different martial arts. Doing two, sure. Doing three, maybe, if he's been training for a long long time. Doing too many usually indicates that some of them are not done well. Now, a school may have several different arts and have different teachers doing them. This is dandy and indicates that your student will probably be able to change styles if he finds something else he likes better.

- A school teaching a self-founded martial art. (Unless maybe his name is Gracie.)

I would ask about:

- How frequently mats and equipment are cleaned. The last thing you need is a staph infection. It's okay if there's things like dust in the corners of the ceiling or something, but the actual working area should be clean.

- How frequent belt tests are and how much they cost. Decide in advance if you can actually afford it.

- The instructor's training and lineage. If he's not willing to tell you, this is a bad sign. Is he affiliated with a recognized organization? If not, this may cause issues further down the road if you move -- your child may need to start from scratch elsewhere. Does he attend training to further his own education?

Best of luck finding a place that will work for you. Starting a martial art was the best decision I've ever made in my life, and I only wish I'd done it younger. :)

:iagree:

Spoken like a true martial artist :)!! Excellent advice!

I used to think the same thing before I starting taking Tae Kwon Do. The forms REALLY do serve a purpose! Forms are to martial arts what Latin is to the classical education model --- it's a MENTAL workout! When you do the same form over and over and over and YES over and over and over!!!!! You develop muscle memory. THAT is where the self defense comes in.

Our instructor told us that, and I thought (probably like you're thinking) that's a bunch of junk! But it's true! When we first started sparring and training in our self defense classes, the muscle memory from the forms really does kick in. When you see a fist coming toward your face, you've practiced a high block so much it's instinct! The first time I blocked a punch I got hit on the OTHER side of the head because I was in such shock it actually worked :lol:

Don't sell it short! It really is a good way to be prepared should something happen where your son needs to defend himself or his family. The "training" will be in him and come out at just the right now.

Oh I don't doubt at all that you are right in the purpose of the forms. I've always assumed that this was supposed to be the case. It just seems that this ISN'T the case with my DS right now. I'm not sure if it's simply his pace and ability right now or a short-coming in our particular dojang's instructors.

Edited by contessa20

I would look for

I would avoid:

I would ask about:

Awesome! I wish we had this information before we started.

Definitely aikido. That's what my kids take. It's all self defense. The other martial arts we have tried glorified fighting and hurting too much.

This is not the case in all martial arts or even different schools within the same martial art.

Sparring is the sport aspect of Taekwon-Do, and there are many other components practiced regularly in our Taekwon-Do (International Taekwon-Do Federation) academy. The Taekwon-Do sparring you see in the Summer Olympics is World Taekwon-Do Federation (WTF). The goal in sparring is to score points not to fight or hurt your opponent. It's just like boxing, wrestling, Judo or fencing, or any other "combative" activity in that regard. There are rules and officials to minimize injuries. I've never been injuried in a sparring match, and I'm a 3rd degree black belt.

This is not the case in all martial arts or even different schools within the same martial art.

Sparring is the sport aspect of Taekwon-Do, and there are many other components practiced regularly in our Taekwon-Do (International Taekwon-Do Federation) academy. The Taekwon-Do sparring you see in the Summer Olympics is World Taekwon-Do Federation (WTF). The goal in sparring is to score points not to fight or hurt your opponent. It's just like boxing, wrestling, Judo or fencing, or any other "combative" activity in that regard. There are rules and officials to minimize injuries. I've never been injuried in a sparring match, and I'm a 3rd degree black belt.

I said the ones we have tried. I know there are many out there, but the others we have done were entirely sparring and not teaching self-control. Like OPs said, it depends on the style and teacher.

Our entire family does Tae Kwon Do. DH checked into EVERYTHING before making a decision! In the end, the decision is basically based on what form / school / instructor you and your daughter feel most comfortable with. Check out EVERY SCHOOL! And I mean EVERY ONE! "Sit in" on a few classes, just yourself. Get a feel for how things are run, attitudes portrayed, expectations, etc., before ever having your daughter participate. Most schools will allow a new student to take a few lessons for free as a "trial run" to see if it's going to be a fit. When you find one that exudes the attitudes you want reinforced in your daughter, then allow her to take part and see if she likes it.

All forms of martial arts have their pros and cons. The reason we chose TKD is because it it COMPLETELY defensive. The students aren't encouraged to "pick a fight," but to know how to defend themselves should one come find them :001_smile:!

I didn't see how old your daughter is -- mine is 12. In the year we've been taking I've seen a VAST improvement not only physically but mentally. You WANT to choose a "tough" instructor. NOT "mean," but one that will push them to meet their potential. You'll see changes in all aspects of her being with a little extra motivation.

Hope that helps! And......... as a Mom taking TKD, I'd say if you have the time, do it with her! Our family has a BLAST!!!!! We're about to compete in our first tournament together, we've moved up in ranks together. And..... we get to beat up on each other legally in sparring class :boxing_smiley:!! Seriously, from a mom who told the instructor the first night my kids tried it out "that's not for me!," now I'm HOOKED!!!! It's SOOOOOOOOO much fun!

Hope ya'll find one that woks for ya!

Our family also all take classes at the same dojo. Ds is only 8 and is in the kids class, dh and I are in the adults class together, but we all practice the same skills and work together to help each other at home. It is a great family bonding experience for all of us!

I would look for

I would avoid:

I would ask about:

:iagree: This is great advice, though my sensei does teach several styles. He only belts in kenpo though. He feels the focus in kenpo is too much on the forms (they are important and DO teach awesome self defense skills, but don't necessarily prepare you to take a hit in a fight), so he also teaches the basics of small circle ju jitsu for open hand self defense and arnis for weapons training. Oh, and plain old kickboxing for a good workout! This is how he was taught as well.

We are in taekwondo also. We love our instructor and he really has made a big difference. There are some martial arts that are offense, others are defense. TKD tends to be on the defensive side of things. Our instructor also goes over a lot of self defense. What I DON'T like about TKD is that once you are knocked to the ground, there aren't really any moves to help you out. You almost need judo to mix with it. I know many people who learn several different disciplines to become well-rounded, like MMA (mixed martial arts).

We are in taekwondo also. We love our instructor and he really has made a big difference. There are some martial arts that are offense, others are defense. TKD tends to be on the defensive side of things. Our instructor also goes over a lot of self defense. What I DON'T like about TKD is that once you are knocked to the ground, there aren't really any moves to help you out. You almost need judo to mix with it. I know many people who learn several different disciplines to become well-rounded, like MMA (mixed martial arts).

Talk to your instructor! There are moves to do when you're "on the mat" to stay in the game. In our classes it's not taught in the regular TKD classes. Those moves are covered more in self defense and higher ranking competition classes.

I was AMAZED when they were showing them to us! They're moves every female should know! TKD is completely defensive, which is why we chose it. There's ALWAYS a way out :)

Have fun kicking :001_smile:

easy quick fix ... do the falling motion to a roll and stand back up.

The DO have belts. They just don't do the expensive testing fees. My husband is an Aikido instructor. He was able to test the students locally at the lower levels and he didn't charge extra fees for it. The belts were white, blue, brown, and black with stripes in between. For 'stripes,' they added a piece of colored electrical tape to the belt. I can't remember if regional testing fees kicked in at brown or black belt level.

The testing was just the official leveling up. He didn't test anyone until he was sure they could do those techniques. There seems to be a culture among Aikido instructors that the insane testing fees are viewed as highway robbery. They seem physically incapable of charging hundreds of dollars to complete a checklist, print a certificate, and buy a canvas belt.

Aikido is defensive. You learn a few attacks to that your classmates can defend against them, but the objective is defense. Things can get intense at the upper levels, but for a long time it'll be all about joint locks and using your opponents weight/strength/balance against them.

Now, it's NOT for everyone. If you really want the following items, you won't find them in Aikido:

Fancy matching uniforms

Bus service from the local schools

Frequent testing

A new belt with an embroidered stripe for half-levels

A bunch of katas

Tournaments suitable for inviting the grandparents

A point system (you don't so much 'win' as take turns being offense/defense with your partner)

You want to focus on strength

You want your 3-year-old to be taken seriously as a warrior

You want to start a fight (You can't really 'do' aikido unless someone swings at you at grabs you)

I'm not the best spokesperson for Aikido. I made it to blue belt then quit because I didn't want to risk getting hurt and not being able to dance. :D It IS a MARTIAL art and there can be injuries. I certainly didn't want to fight the serious upper level students. They get a bit too intense for me, especially considering how gentle the beginning levels can be.

I said the ones we have tried. I know there are many out there, but the others we have done were entirely sparring and not teaching self-control. Like OPs said, it depends on the style and teacher.

Sorry, it's just that you come out so strongly and negatively. I'm curious to know how you can learn about the aggressiveness of multiple martial arts with children so young and trying several disciplines. Or are you speaking about your own personal experiences with participating in several different martial arts classes? Unless you are actually in the class and hearing exactly what the instructors are telling the students, sparring can look quite aggressive. There is actually a huge amount of self-control involved in most of the sparring movements, even if it looks rather out-of-control. And in all of the sparring for children in the ITF Taekwon-Do tournaments and training I've participated in, there is no contact.

Edited by wintermom

The DO have belts. They just don't do the expensive testing fees. My husband is an Aikido instructor. He was able to test the students locally at the lower levels and he didn't charge extra fees for it. The belts were white, blue, brown, and black with stripes in between. For 'stripes,' they added a piece of colored electrical tape to the belt. I can't remember if regional testing fees kicked in at brown or black belt level.
Where I studied you tested for rank, but there were no belt colors, only white until you reached black. (I remember the sensei making a comment that traditionally, a student would wear the same belt until -- through time and use -- the belt turned black.) But they had rankings, you just knew what your ranking was and couldn't tell what someone else's was by looking at their belt (other than black, and there are ranks within black belts as well).

Where I studied you tested for rank, but there were no belt colors, only white until you reached black. (I remember the sensei making a comment that traditionally, a student would wear the same belt until -- through time and use -- the belt turned black.) But they had rankings, you just knew what your ranking was and couldn't tell what someone else's was by looking at their belt (other than black, and there are ranks within black belts as well).

The amusing thing is that the people I know who've worn the same black belt forever have a belt that is nearly white through age.

I don't have a problem with a ranking system in martial arts. It's part of military tradition, helps develop leaders, and isn't all that different than testing in other activities such as gymnastics, dance, musical instruments, etc. Yes, there is a fee involved, because there is a time commitment and professional expertise on the part of the examiner. They are sometimes there for hours testing students. This is above and beyond regular class training, yet an important aspect of the sport.

If you don't want testing and ranking, then there are kick-boxing fitness classes or self-defense classes, for example. That is no where near the same over-all learning and leadership experience, though.

Edited by wintermom