Menu

Decision At 1pm (job)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your DH should file sexual harassment paperwork against the women who were talking shockingly in front of him. And then sue. That just doesn't seem legal or ethical. To fire your DH but not the other people who were part of the conversation is wrong.

Forget the union appeal. He was on probation. They're only going to appeal on a CYA to make sure they can say they made action and he can't file a grievance against them.

What you need to do is file a wrongful dismissal with the Labour Board (whatever it's called in AB). You need serious documentation. Get him to write down every word he can recall said by any superiors. Document clearly that he was NOT given any employee handbook/HR manual/etc.

In the VAST majority of cases, Labour boards side with the employee over the employer, even when the employer is govt. However, be aware that govt. dismissals usually have their own scads of documentation and they did call him in prior to the meeting which they can claim was his warning. Although... the probation meant they didn't have to do that. Still, you may have a case because even probationary workers have to be given clear cause for dismissal. It is not true that they can "fire you for no reason at all." There does have to be a documented reason.

No guarantees this will work, of course, but you are entitled to file an appeal to Labour. There is a window of time in which you must file, so don't let the possibility slip past you. You may want to consult with your Labour board first in order to find out the filing process and appropriate contact persons.

Good luck.

Another thought.... was he employed by the same gov dept immediately prior to this position? If so, you may be able to challenge the probationary restriction as the new job may be categorized as a transfer rather than a new hire. In which case, you can also use that in your complaint as an item of misjudgment against the employee (telling him and treating him as if he were probationary, when in fact he was not and should not have been classified as such).

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

It seems that you would have nothing to lose by trying some of the ideas that were suggested here.

This whole thing is so unfair, and it's pretty obvious that these particular people were gunning for Wolf. :angry:

Foul, just foul. Praying that there is some break for Wolf in all of this.:grouphug:

A dear friend of mine went through something similar when she patted a guy on the shoulder and he filed charges for sexual harassment. They were in a state government position - she a director and he a janitor. Horrible what the legal world has brought upon us. This all seems so wrong.

I hope these women aren't congratulating themselves over this. I hope they realize what a tragedy they've unleashed on a whole family.

I hate to say it, but I'll bet they're feeling pretty smug right about now. :mad:

It has probably never even occurred to them that by finding a way to get rid of Wolf, they are also harming his wife and children. People like them never think of the consequences of their actions, as long as they get what they want out of the situation.

This whole thing just makes me sick. Poor Wolf must be running through about a million emotions right now, all because of a few horrible liars. And his bosses should be ashamed of themselves for taking the easiest way out of this, rather than conducting a full investigation of what really happened.

It's sickening, and I am so upset for Imp. :(

I hate to say it, but I'll bet they're feeling pretty smug right about now. :mad:

It has probably never even occurred to them that by finding a way to get rid of Wolf, they are also harming his wife and children. People like them never think of the consequences of their actions, as long as they get what they want out of the situation.

This whole thing just makes me sick. Poor Wolf must be running through about a million emotions right now, all because of a few horrible liars. And his bosses should be ashamed of themselves for taking the easiest way out of this, rather than conducting a full investigation of what really happened.

It's sickening, and I am so upset for Imp. :(

I disagree. Imp said these claims against Wolf came out in the EXIT interviews of 2 employees. These employees are no longer there and likely have no clue what is being done in regard to their claims.

IF anyone is gunning for Wolf, statistics bear out that it is an internal motive. Given the circumstances that Imp detailed in previous threads, IF anyone is trying to get rid of him it would likely be whomever most wants his position, or was passed over for his position, or was inconvenienced or in any other way felt wronged by him having that position. IF someone wanted to get rid of him and IF that person conducted the exit interviews, it would be easy to lead an employee down that conversational trail that led to claims of sexual harrassment.

And, FTR, I'm using a lot of big IF's because it is very unwise to start jumping to conclusions and stirring Imp up with uninformed scenarios as to what happened.

She needs to focus ONLY on the facts of their individual case. Her dh needs to document ONLY the facts of his individual case. There is no room for error in that regard. Thorough, factual documentation can help them.

Innuedos, guesses, half-truths and speculations will get them nothing, and may hurt them further.

Innuedos, guesses, half-truths and speculations will get them nothing, and may hurt them further.

That's true, but I don't think any of us expects Wolf to go running back to his former place of employment and tell them that the nice folks over at the WTM forums had a few suspicions that he would like them to investigate. :D

Whatever happened here, it sure sounds to me like someone was gunning for Wolf, and if it wasn't those specific women, they were almost certainly involved in it in one way or another... or else we would pretty much have to concede that Wolf is some sort of awful person, and I am not willing to believe that for even a minute. Based on Imp's post where she explained the situation, my very first thought was that someone was out to get rid of him so he or she could have his job. Obviously, I have no idea as to that person's identity, but it seems awfully odd and coincidental that these particular women just happened to report Wolf's "behavior" in separate interviews. It's far too coincidental for my liking, and sounds like a set-up.

Edited by Catwoman

Whatever happened here, it sure sounds to me like someone was gunning for Wolf...It's far too coincidental for my liking, and sounds like a set-up.

I didn't mean to start speculation about what specifically happened behind-the-scenes, just that I thought there probably was more to the story than meets the eye. It just sounded so much like what happened to my friend that a bunch of alarm bells started going off in my head. We were all mystified why a minor offense that should've just resulted in slap on the wrist was used as grounds for firing. Then several months later when the power struggle in senior management came to light, we realized that it was just an excuse. :glare:

I didn't mean to start speculation about what specifically happened behind-the-scenes, just that I thought there probably was more to the story than meets the eye. It just sounded so much like what happened to my friend that a bunch of alarm bells started going off in my head. We were all mystified why a minor offense that should've just resulted in slap on the wrist was used as grounds for firing. Then several months later when the power struggle in senior management came to light, we realized that it was just an excuse. :glare:

Personally, I would imagine that most of us are speculating about what may have happened, whether or not we're posting about it.

I mean, this is Imp's Wolf. We all feel like we know him. I truly don't believe he would have done anything wrong. And even if we didn't already know a lot about Wolf, the general description of the situation would have had red flags flying all over the place.

I haven't been on all day and just now read this thread. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to say because I am in shock. You were just picking out paint colors because Wolf's boss was buying you all paint. I've not read all the previous posts but my heart aches for you all. I will pray that something better will come around quickly, and you will all be much happier in the end. :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: So sorry this has happened.

Although I believe that most people are generally good, there are still plenty of people willing to do whatever it takes to bring someone down for their own benefit.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the case. My husband lost his job last year because he was friends with another executive that got laid off. Even though it is illegal to do so, a new executive has told current employees that if he finds out anyone EVER talks to any of the ex employees, "their performance will go down" - basically let go. We are talking about a smallish company where people were friends for up to 10+ years, doing things together outside the company, etc.

I understand the "omg, wtf are we going to do" feeling. We made it through and came out better for it and I am hoping that the same happens for your family!!!

Brenda

Imp, I have been at work all day, and would have replied much sooner. What terrible news! Poor Wolf, I know he must feel awful. I wish I had some way of helping.

I think Audrey gave excellent advice. There is still hope you guys can turn this around. Government is nothing if not pedantic in their pursuit of documentation and proper dotting of Ts and Is. If there are holes in the documentation and protocols, then Wolf's got a good case.

In any case, I am going to hoping and thinking very positive thoughts and praying for Wolf to be working again soon, whether at this job or somewhere else.