Menu

A little thrown off balance

MidnightHM

I have a seven and a half year old daughter who is enrolled in the Hospital/Homebound program. A public school teacher is sent to our house for an hour and a half once a week. She is enrolled as a second grade student. Academically she is closer to a beginning first grader than a beginning second grader because of the amount of school she has missed because of her health. (I had always planned on homeschooling but sent both girls to school temporarily when my husband passed away so I could get our lives back together)

Her teacher leaves under a half hour of daily work behind for her to complete. This adds up to under 4 hours a week including time with the tutor. In addition to what the tutor is requiring we are working our way through Saxon K (hitting only the lessons she doesn't have a good grasp on), OPG, FLL level 1, and WWE level 1. We are not doing any formal science (though she is making her own mini nature show) or History (I want to add this in as soon as she is reading a little better). With everything we do, we normally start at 9 and are done with school by 11 at the absolute latest.

Is this enough to catch her up? I know I don't need her to completely fit into the public school box but with in a couple years she will need a heart transplant and will be almost completely out of commission for up to 6 months. My goal is to have her to a point of reading fluently (not at adult level but able to decode words with out assistance) and able to do basic math (4 functions) in the next two years. Am I being realistic? Are we doing enough?

Since your DD needs to focus on being well, then yes, I think you're doing enough and have realistic goals.

You can supplement some of what she's doing. For science, you can watch a lot of documentaries and nature shows. It sounds as though she's into nature. You can do some small experiments or nature studies at home. The life cycle of a butterfly is usually covered at that age. You can get some books about it and a butterfly kit to watch the process.

You said you're waiting to start history until she's older so she can read. Why? Many history programs focus on read-alouds for this age. you can read to her and do projects. History Odyssey (which uses Story of the World) or just Story of the World by itself are good programs. If she's not reading and writing fluently right now, you can skip map labeling for now.

I would skip Saxon K and move directly into Saxon 1. Most start there, and 1 is often done at the kindergarten level. In CA Saxon on grade level is behind what is being covered in the public schools, so if at all possible I suggest that you try to work toward being one book ahead of grade level before she goes back to PS.

I suggest reading to her a lot, in a fun way. Include history bios and life and times books and SOTW. Those are excellent. You don't have to make them into 'school'. Read Magic School Bus books aloud as well--they provide a tremendous intro to all branches of science, practical and theoretical. Read books that are engaging fiction. Read poetry. Cuddle up and do this, and enjoy it.

Consider buying the SOTW CD's and perhaps some foreign language CD's as well, and just play them in the background.

warneral: I have been looking for a math game for my NOOK color that is not timed and not multiple choice so she can work on that while I am busy with my other two children but I haven't had much luck yet.

jujsky: I'm waiting on History until we don't have to spend so much time on reading. Not because she can't read. Does that make sense?

Carol in Cal.: I was planning on starting with Saxon 1 but I haven't been able to find it sense we moved. I think it got stuck into one of the 10 boxes marked MISC. :tongue_smilie: I went through Saxon K and pulled out the things she doesn't know and we are working through those until I find Saxon 1. Thanks for the Magic Schoolbus idea. I loved those as a kids and had kind of forgotten about them.

warneral: I have been looking for a math game for my NOOK color that is not timed and not multiple choice so she can work on that while I am busy with my other two children but I haven't had much luck yet.

jujsky: I'm waiting on History until we don't have to spend so much time on reading. Not because she can't read. Does that make sense?

Carol in Cal.: I was planning on starting with Saxon 1 but I haven't been able to find it sense we moved. I think it got stuck into one of the 10 boxes marked MISC. :tongue_smilie: I went through Saxon K and pulled out the things she doesn't know and we are working through those until I find Saxon 1. Thanks for the Magic Schoolbus idea. I loved those as a kids and had kind of forgotten about them.

Can you get the Story of the World audio?

And all the episodes of the MSB show just came out in a boxed DVD set.

I just wanted to :grouphug: you. It sounds like you are doing great, and the suggestion of bumping up the math seems like a good one. I don't have any experience with saxon, but it is my understanding that it is a bit more difficult to accelerate due to its spiral nature. You could possibly try a mastery based math program like Singapore, which is easier to accelerate because you spend a bit longer on areas that need more reinforcement, and breeze through the topics she "gets" immediately.

We are loving SOTW audio CDs- my son does the coloring page while he listens, and then if we have time, we read an additional read-aloud or do an activity from the activity guide later in the week. Very low-effort on my part.

The worst thing you could do is overwhelm yourself and your daughter by making a big deal of school right now. Your plan sounds exactly like what I'd be doing. I also think perhaps you should consider moving ahead in math. But I personally wouldn't touch formal history right now, I like documentaries and books and long conversations about what I already know of history, children soak up a lot of info, but I don't intend to touch formal history curriculum until probably grade 5ish. I think the amount of work in reading etc, vs the benefit of covering something that you will probably cover again in a few years anyway, just isn't worth it. Again, history is important and interesting, maybe you'd like to incorporate some fun with a bit of historical content, but honestly I find formal history for youngsters is just a timesink.

Once your daughter is reading well, things will be much easier. Your schedule may not 'catch her up' quickly, but it will allow her to enjoy school and she won't fall any further behind. If you double it all to catch her up by the end of the year, she will probably hate it, and in her situation you really want to keep her enjoying learning. Remember there's a difference between the essentials, like learning to read and long division, and the extras like covering local history or learning the difference between a report and essay. If she has done all the essentials, I would not consider her behind. The extras tend to get covered multiple times, so don't feel like catching up has to necessarily mean doing everything the other kids did. She has learnt many things her peers have not through her life experiences, it's the ultimate example of a tailored education. Focus on the 3 Rs and the rest will work itself out over time.

:grouphug:

While regular schoolwork is hard to do at a hospital, I have had success with games.

You could try my phonics concentration game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Also, while they are not very exciting, my phonics movies could be watched while recovering. You can break them up in shorter chuncks if need be and do 1/2 a lesson at a time.