Menu

consumer math

My daughter is registered with Homelife Academy so she will be getting her diploma through them. For those who are not familiar with them they basically keep records that you send them and then give a diploma if you finish their graduation requirements. My daughter is a bit behind in math due to medical problems and is taking a class at the community college that will satisfy algebra and algebra 2 requirements. She is also taking chemistry at the college next semester. She will finish the rest of the requirements at home except for a 4th math. They require a 4th math for graduation but say that she can take a consumer math for the requirement. I really wanted her to take an advanced math but it won't work out. Since she will be finishing all of her other requirements by May she won't have anything left to take for high school except for that math. The community college will only let her take 2 classes per semester while in high school. So I think she will go to community college next year for her first year of college and she can take an advanced math then and then transfer the following year.

Can you recommend a good consumer math? She needs it to be relatively easy for her to do independently at home and that wouldn't require algebra since she is taking that now.

I'm linking you to this past thread, Consumer Math suggestions, as it includes links to each of the suggested programs so you can look at them to see what is the best fit for your DD. I believe all of them are set up for the student to pretty much do it solo.

I would also highly recommend doing the Dave Ramsey Personal Finance ALONG with a Consumer Math -- great, specific information on debt, savings, budgets, etc. that every high school senior/college student should know before moving out into the world. JMO! :) BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I'm sorry that I always forget to search for previous posts before I post a question.

Hey, no worries! I think it's *good* to post your questions about specific subjects -- maybe it's just the thread someone else needed right then, too, and if you had only done a board search, they would have missed out on a potentially great responses people would have given! :)

I just also like to include links to past threads in some of my responses since there's so much past wisdom on this board, too! ;)

BEST of luck, whatever you end up deciding to go with. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Guest hsmomforlife

I would also highly recommend doing the Dave Ramsey Personal Finance ALONG with a Consumer Math -- great, specific information on debt, savings, budgets, etc. that every high school senior/college student should know before moving out into the world. JMO! :) BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

:iagree:

That's my plan for each of my kids! They will all complete the Dave Ramsey HS course. I also found a book at the local library that teaches college level basic acounting called 'The Accounting Game' by Darrell Mullis & Judith Orloff. Mind you, I never took college level accounting 101, but from looking over the book, it sounds like the basics of accounting to me.

HTH!

Juliette