Menu

Does anyone have a schedule for SYRWTLS

Thanks to recommendations from this forum my dc have started So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 1.

Does anyone have a schedule for this ? At this stage dc are just doing what they feel is doable - but having a schedule to keep them on pace would be helpful - I just have no idea how much to schedule at a time.

Having been through all 3 levels, I've generally noticed that approx 5 exercises a week gets through the books in a school year. Some are longer (book 1), and some are shorter, but for a general average, 5 exercises per week does it.

I also have learned to schedule in a vocab test whenever a vocab list comes up (twice a chapter). Otherwise, they slack on memorizing the vocab, and that hampers progress.

If you are a stickler for doing the books in a certain time frame, then you might need to adjust to 6/wk or whatever, but I find it easiest to just do the 5/wk on average. Some are quick, some are time consuming . . . it all averages out.

Having been through all 3 levels, I've generally noticed that approx 5 exercises a week gets through the books in a school year. Some are longer (book 1), and some are shorter, but for a general average, 5 exercises per week does it.

I also have learned to schedule in a vocab test whenever a vocab list comes up (twice a chapter). Otherwise, they slack on memorizing the vocab, and that hampers progress.

If you are a stickler for doing the books in a certain time frame, then you might need to adjust to 6/wk or whatever, but I find it easiest to just do the 5/wk on average. Some are quick, some are time consuming . . . it all averages out.

About how much time per day do your children spend on the program? I'm considering the first level.

About how much time per day do your children spend on the program? I'm considering the first level.

I'd say 20 min/day 5 days a week is probably about average. I think I'd schedule 30 min/day if you are just starting out, but expect that if your kid is a quick study, you can trim it down.

I realized late in the game that I didn't push the kids to memorize the vocab. enough, so now I do. :)

I schedule 15 min/day of vocab drill 4 times a week -- alternating days between "current list" and "past lists". This seems to be helping them totally nail their vocab lists.

Then I schedule 4 - 5 exercises a week (depending on the kid, the book, etc.). Often times, they can do an exercise in under 5-10 min, and occasionally (especially in the later books), an exercise might take 20 min, but if they are memorizing their vocab routinely, then that will happen less often.

So, anyway, maybe 25-30 min 4 - 5 days a week would do it for sure IME.

I'd say 20 min/day 5 days a week is probably about average. I think I'd schedule 30 min/day if you are just starting out, but expect that if your kid is a quick study, you can trim it down.

I realized late in the game that I didn't push the kids to memorize the vocab. enough, so now I do. :)

I schedule 15 min/day of vocab drill 4 times a week -- alternating days between "current list" and "past lists". This seems to be helping them totally nail their vocab lists.

Then I schedule 4 - 5 exercises a week (depending on the kid, the book, etc.). Often times, they can do an exercise in under 5-10 min, and occasionally (especially in the later books), an exercise might take 20 min, but if they are memorizing their vocab routinely, then that will happen less often.

So, anyway, maybe 25-30 min 4 - 5 days a week would do it for sure IME.

Thanks for the detailed answer!