Menu

Asking the right questions at the doctor

Ravin

I'm taking DD to the doctor today. I want to try and get her a referral for a neuropsych eval, see if they have any ideas for addressing her sleep issues, and about the chronic pain she has in her ankles and (more recently) wrists. I also want her to get allergy testing to find out if we still have good cause for avoiding peanuts (she seems to tolerate eggs now, we haven't tested peanut). Also she gets headaches, soemtimes with vomiting accompanying it and no fever.

I really don't want this stuff brushed off. DD is miserable way too much and I want to do something about it.

What questions should I ask?

I think that depends on your doctor and the relationship you have. It always been able to state my concerns and what kind of referrals I want and we get them. Or just ask for advice. So, I'd just go in and state, "this is what is going on, I think we need to see an allergist" and we do it.

Here's my advice, FWIW.

Make sure you write down the issues you want to discuss with your doctor, as well as what YOU want the doctor to do for you. Then, be willing to listen to the doctor as far as referrals/treatment.

And, as an aside, the headaches sound like possible migraines. Ds gets them; bad headaches with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.

Here's my advice, FWIW.

Make sure you write down the issues you want to discuss with your doctor, as well as what YOU want the doctor to do for you. Then, be willing to listen to the doctor as far as referrals/treatment.

And, as an aside, the headaches sound like possible migraines. Ds gets them; bad headaches with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.

Yes, I always have written down everything I want to say. I'm a forgetter.