Menu

Fashion help for the mother of the groom please...

My son is getting married in two weeks. The wedding is outside in the brides yard, in the evening. I still don't have my dress. I was going to make it and have some material and a pattern, but I'm no longer enthusiastic about it.

I did find this dress, which I like a lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-L-FASHIONS-Sapphire-Beaded-Bolero-Jacket-Dress-Sz-8-New-6352-/290736251143?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item43b13b2107

Do you think it is appropriate? Most of all.....what would I wear on my legs??? Somehow going barelegged doesn't seem right. I am thinking of wearing some pretty antique silver ballet flats that I already have (I can't wear heels, or I won't be walking the next day). Do those shoes sound okay with this dress?

Really, I am very happy for them, but I will be glad when it's over. I'm already having mild anxiety attacks and I am not the mother of the bride.

I'm not a fashionista but I think that dress looks lovely.

The leg thing probably depends on where you live. I would say it's fine to go bare legged as long as it's not a very formal wedding, but some people are more conservative and feel that it should be avoided.

:iagree:

The dress is great, and the shoes sound fine with it. I always go bare legged. Pantyhose were designed by someone evil, I'm sure of it!

i love the dress. the only thing i'd check on is the length of the mother of the bride's dress and bridesmaids' dresses. if everyone else is in floor length dresses, it might be nice for you to be, too, as dress length stands out in group photos. (and with an evening wedding, its a possibility).

the silver shoes would be nice with it! maybe if you message the seller, they will provide a faster shipping option for you.... much better to know sooner that you have it and it is all you hoped for.

(when i was the mother of the bride, i got my dress from ebay, too. my dd asked me not to tell anyone. she married into a family where everyone was wearing designer dresses, and that way i could afford a designer, too ;))

hth,

ann

The dress is lovely. I, personally, would wear hose. But, I've read on here that only old ladies do now, so apparently it's up to you.

Just don't wear white, as the mother of the groom did at my wedding.

Oh, my grandmother did that at my wedding. White, frilly, tea-length, white hat with netting on it, you name it....she looked like one of those elder re-marriages where the wedding is casual. GRRRRRR....

On the other extreme was dh's maternal grandmother who wore a dress so ugly (house dress style too :001_huh: - you know - of 50's granny fame - paisley brown), that people cringe when they see the pictures. :tongue_smilie:

I'm all for, elegant, classy, timeless, and NOT making a statement.

Faith

I like the dress but I'd be concerned about getting something off of Ebay quickly enough.

:iagree:

And what if it turns out to be poorly made or doesn't fit properly?

If you had months to spare, I would tell you to go for that dress and hope for the best, but at this point in time, I think you should go to the mall or a nice consignment store and buy something, so you know that you like it and that it fits.

Oh, my grandmother did that at my wedding. White, frilly, tea-length, white hat with netting on it, you name it....she looked like one of those elder re-marriages where the wedding is casual. GRRRRRR....

On the other extreme was dh's maternal grandmother who wore a dress so ugly (house dress style too :001_huh: - you know - of 50's granny fame - paisley brown), that people cringe when they see the pictures. :tongue_smilie:

I'm all for, elegant, classy, timeless, and NOT making a statement.

Faith

:lol: yes, MIL's dress could have easily been used as a second wedding dress. We were both overshadowed by DH's then-80yo grandmother in fire engine red dress and heels and large dark glasses (glaucoma). We were surprised she came since she didn't even go to her son's wedding to MIL which was next-door to her house and ours was two hours away. She was quite a woman.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still undecided, but obviously I've got to make up my mind soon.

The other women will be wearing tea length or short dresses.

I think that dress is lovely. The length should be fine. The only other thing I'd check on is color. My MIL wore a dress that clashed pretty badly with my mom's dress and the bridesmaids' dresses. Not a huge deal, but she did ask about color scheme... it surprised me that she didn't try harder not to clash. Although, I can't really imagine that dress clashing with anything.

I say go for it. It's beautiful, really!

I think that dress is great. But I would worry about the EBay thing with only 2 weeks to go and would have a plan B dress picked out from somewhere local.

As far as stockings - I know lots of folks here feel the evil in them, but I have veins on my legs now that prohibit going bare-legged on dressier occasions. I have fallen in love with colored tights. With that dress and silver flats, I might do a pale grey. Very nice. Much depends on your weather - here it would be quite chilly to be outside in bare legs in the evening.....

Please wear hose, whichever kind of shoes you wear (unless it's strappy sandals). Please.

And congratulations. :-)

I disagree. Hose are totally out (sorry, but they are, unless you're 60+). Use some tanning moisturizer and you'll be fine (appearance-wise; can't help you with chilliness but that's what we women do for fashion, right? ;)).

Colored tights would be okay, by the way. Just NOT hose.