Menu

vent: why do people think events are to be scheduled or put on hold for them...

I co manage a summer swim team. Regular season is over and we have All Stars coming up. This is a 900 swimmer league. The schedule has been out since January--available to all who register since that time. We remind families starting with the first day of practice and I'm the one who wanders the deck the first couple of weeks making sure parents sign a form and chech their availability for all meets including All Stars. Most parents say their kid will never be picked and I say it's important to check availability and there are many kids who are happily surprised each year. Usually the unlikely kids are picked for a relay because we need to fill out the relay. Usually the kids are incredibly pleased to be going to All Stars when they didn't expect it.

So, we had to contact families who did not pick up their final awards, which included All Star selection. A mom calls and says that's her dd's birthday party. She wants us to garantee her dd is done by 11 am. I told my co manager to tell her commit or back out now because if her dd doesn't show there will be 3 little girls (her team mates) who won't be able to race --and 3 sets of parents angry they wasted a Saturday morning on a hot pool deck waiting for a race that didn't happen.

I've been doing this 5 years. It takes a lot time, most intensely in the summer, but there work during the year too. This year I put in an inordinate amount of hours and stress over a coach hiring issue in March/April. I don't get paid. I have to paid my dc registrations fees. I think all parents should take the helm of an activity for a season or 2 so they understand the work behind running programs for kids. I know people in charge of a scout troop or VBS must have similar problems. I actually think some of the parents who do the minimum (or less) must think I am paid or at least I have nothing better to do than take care of their immediate need.

Wow. I would not have patience working with parents. We had a situation in my ds basketball end of season party where the "team mom coordinated but we told her we could not make it. We've arranged 3 times to pick up ds pictures and trophy and 3 tims she did not show. It's been 2 years. We purchased a trophy for ds ourselves but by golly she still has his pictures WHICH I PAID FOR. ya think she could mail them or drop them off at the recreation office for I know her son still plays ball there.

Wow. I would not have patience working with parents. We had a situation in my ds basketball end of season party where the "team mom coordinated but we told her we could not make it. We've arranged 3 times to pick up ds pictures and trophy and 3 tims she did not show. It's been 2 years. We purchased a trophy for ds ourselves but by golly she still has his pictures WHICH I PAID FOR. ya think she could mail them or drop them off at the recreation office for I know her son still plays ball there.

Yes, we have pictures that we could never get from a soccer coach from almost 3 years ago. I think he put them in storage. I don't understand why he couldn't just take them back up to the YMCA so we could get them there? It's pretty rude! I guess I'll bother him again when I get caught up to that year in my scrapbooking....:tongue_smilie:

I do not envy you one bit. In fact, I feel for you. Dh and I were just talking about this very sort of thing the other day, and he decided it was our typical American (assuming you are writing from America) spoiled "me first" attitude. Little ones grow into big ones who produce little ones...and pass on the mentality. :banghead:

Sorry. Could you explain to her the importance (again, I'm sure)? Make sure she understands how important it is to so many others?