Menu

What color for an 'accent' wall?

We painted 3 of our living room walls this weekend. (Goodbye and good riddance to the stark white we've had for the last 7 years!)

We chose a darker beige for the 3 walls,

DH really wants to do the 4th wall in an accent color, but we just can't decide on which color.

We bought a coppery/orange color - but after trying a sample of it tonight, Dh thinks that it's too dark and that it looks like someone vomited carrots on the wall. :tongue_smilie:

So...suggestions for other colors we could use? (DH says no black or brown, but he's open to just about anything else.)

It feels rather dark in there now - so I'd sort of like a brighter color.

Oh and our furniture: we have 1 dark brown sofa, 1 cream colored sofa, and a navy blue recliner.

Here is a sample of the new color

th_IMG_9045.jpg

Are there architectural details that make an accent wall "make sense?" If not, I probably wouldn't do it as it would date your beautiful new walls.

What about painting the 4th wall the same color as the other three walls and then adding a pattern of some sort? You could do stripes or a stencil in the same color with some white mixed in or the same color (like this) or in a different finish (like semi-gloss if you used eggshell on the walls, like this or this).

Do you ladies think the accent wall concept is going out of style? Please tell, because I was thinking of painting one or two walls in our new living room a different color from the rest of the room.

Yes.

Are there architectural details that make an accent wall "make sense?" If not, I probably wouldn't do it as it would date your beautiful new walls.

What about painting the 4th wall the same color as the other three walls and then adding a pattern of some sort? You could do stripes or a stencil in the same color with some white mixed in or the same color (like this) or in a different finish (like semi-gloss if you used eggshell on the walls, like this or this).

A pattern might be nice but I wouldn't paint the other wall a different color. I've rarely seen it work out well.

I think you need a "reason" for an accent wall. I have one wall that I plan to paint a certain shade, but it is a gallery wall. It will be a deep color, but then the entire thing is going to be covered in frames.

You could do something like that on this wall, or with some simple picture ledges across it.

Looks like a warm toned green would go well with that. Or for something totally different a warmer shade of deep blue. I LOVE a navy wall covered in white photo frames.

Houzz blue walls.

ETA: Or my favorite with that tone would be wide stripes, in a very slightly muted shade of what you already have. Something subtle

I bought a lot of samples looking for a good darker brown but not too dark.

I finally found one that I love:

Sherwin Williams "Craftsman Brown".

It is actually a color that was only in one of their brochures showing exterior colors for houses. However, I painted my dining room and mud room this color, and it looks great. All of the other walls in my main level are a lighter beige, and I really like how the combination worked out.

So I went with an accent room idea rather than an accent wall, and I think it looks very up to date.