Menu

I need some phonics help

Marie131

I'm going through AAR level 1 w/ my very young Ker. I was torn b/n level 1 and pre-1, pre-1 looked to easy for him so I chose level 1. However, I'm finding level 1 is going painfully slow, even though he quite likes it. I'm thinking I should maybe shelve it for a bit until he's a touch older. Any recommendations for a pre-reading curriculum that is fun but won't break the bank?

He's turning 5 next month. He's done a bit on starfall, but we haven't used it for a while. Good suggestion :)

Yeah I would def give him time to catch up. Even though he may be educationally ready he may not be quite mentally ready. Let him play for a while. Maybe get some foam letters or something and let him play around with sounds and blends and such. Try AAR again in a few months :)

My nearly 4.5yo is *technically* in Preschool this year, but some of the phonics programs she really enjoys:

1. the LeapFrog letter factory dvds

2. Evan Moor Skill Sharpener Kindergarten books (Reading and Spell/Write... I actually love this series, we also have the K Math, too.)

3. Starfall (so glad I also subscribed to MoreStarfall, we've been on there a lot)

4. and we just started with those I See Sam books online.

5. Reading Bear is also good (and free) for practice...

I think there's lots of inexpensive/free/fun things you can do to help solidify what your child has learned before picking AAR back up again. :)

I'm going through AAR level 1 w/ my very young Ker. I was torn b/n level 1 and pre-1, pre-1 looked to easy for him so I chose level 1. However, I'm finding level 1 is going painfully slow, even though he quite likes it. I'm thinking I should maybe shelve it for a bit until he's a touch older. Any recommendations for a pre-reading curriculum that is fun but won't break the bank?

I don't think you need anything else. Put AAR on the shelf and play with letters and letter sounds.

Take the free suggestions in the thread- Starfall, Letter factory videos (from the library) and combine them with lots of reading aloud together. Also, check out sites like pbskids.org or sproutonline.com and look for more games that deal with letter sounds. In a couple months, come back to AAR and I think you'll find that he's more than ready. :001_smile:

We had to take a break in reading instruction also. My DD was a little further along, she knew the letter sounds, but blending (and frustration!!) was getting her. I stopped "teaching" for a couple months and we just read together, came back to it and she's been flying through it since.

Would Phonics Pathways be a good program to use before we go back to AAR? It looks like something we can do from the couch in just a few minutes a day, and it's inexpensive. Thoughts?

That's exactly how I've used phonics pathways with my five year old starting at about age 4.5 - that combined with easy phonics readers (bob books, Nora gaydos books, etc) has been all he has needed so far. We'll start doing spelling with Logic of English once he is more comfortable with writing the lower case letters.