Menu

What to do after Lively Latin 1?

Halcyon

Someone just resurrected an old thread saying that FF was what was recommended next, and that they loved it.

A few people are adding their thoughts, in case you are interested in FF.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=149823&page=5

Thanks, i will go look. He will havedone LL as well as gswl. I wonder what level of FF.

Lfc wont work for us, kam, thanks though!

We are taking a detour through Minimus before heading off to Lively Latin 2.

I like that the story is apparently based upon an actual excavation near Hadrian's Wall-- for example, there is a story about a birthday party, and they show a party invitation that was found during the excavation. A ring is showed off in the story, and there is a photo of a ring recovered in the excavation. The entire thing is of course fictionalized, but it is well-done, and has been a nice reinforcement of vocabulary learned for both of my boys (DS11 finished Lively Latin, and DS9 finished Prima Latina).

This will not be an entire year's curriculum, even with the mini-book add-ons, but I'm not regretting the detour at all.

We are taking a detour through Minimus before heading off to Lively Latin 2.

I like that the story is apparently based upon an actual excavation near Hadrian's Wall-- for example, there is a story about a birthday party, and they show a party invitation that was found during the excavation. A ring is showed off in the story, and there is a photo of a ring recovered in the excavation. The entire thing is of course fictionalized, but it is well-done, and has been a nice reinforcement of vocabulary learned for both of my boys (DS11 finished Lively Latin, and DS9 finished Prima Latina).

This will not be an entire year's curriculum, even with the mini-book add-ons, but I'm not regretting the detour at all.

We have minimus 1...i like it! Maybe older would like to read it too. Mybe i could do LL2 but add readings from.....ecce romani?

I am debating continuing with Book 2. We might, i just want to be sure I Have looked at other options. For one, i dont think LL has enough translation, but he will not be mature enough for Henle. Latin Prep?

This is for my younger.

We will be finishing Big Book one in a few weeks and I still haven't decided where to go next. :D I bought Latin Prep and LFC B, but didn't like either of them. I really like Latin Alive and Latin for the New Millennium, but think it would be best to wait a year or two for either of those choices. I am considering Looking At Latin online, because I already own the book and really like it.

We will be finishing Big Book one in a few weeks and I still haven't decided where to go next. :D I bought Latin Prep and LFC B, but didn't like either of them. I really like Latin Alive and Latin for the New Millennium, but think it would be best to wait a year or two for either of those choices. I am considering Looking At Latin online, because I already own the book and really like it.

Oooh j have Looking at Latin also, and like it too! Off to ggogle-i didnt realize she had an online course!

Latin Prep?

This is for my younger.

I have a strong memory of Calvin (tested PG, blah blah), aged about 11, with his face all screwed up like a little monkey's trying to hold in his head all at the same time the way that verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives all had to change in order for him to translate from English to Latin. The grammar and vocabulary in LP can look straight-forward, but the pace is fast and the E-L translation is fierce. I wouldn't recommend starting it before age 10, or age 9 at the very earliest (and at half speed).

Laura

I have a strong memory of Calvin (tested PG, blah blah), aged about 11, with his face all screwed up like a little monkey's trying to hold in his head all at the same time the way that verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives all had to change in order for him to translate from English to Latin. The grammar and vocabulary in LP can look straight-forward, but the pace is fast and the E-L translation is fierce. I wouldn't recommend starting it before age 10, or age 9 at the very earliest (and at half speed).

Laura

THanks, Laura, I was hoping you would chime in. Sigh. I don't know what to do. I am leaning towards LL2 with translations and readings from vintage texts and some beginning Latin readers.

We have minimus 1...i like it! Maybe older would like to read it too. Mybe i could do LL2 but add readings from.....ecce romani?

This is what I'm thinking to do as well. We had tried LFC before but, it was not received well by my dd. She enjoyed LL1 and I reasoned that with some extra translation from ecce romani why switch?