Menu

Creating a Language Arts road map

momma2three

I'm quickly being overwhelmed with choices in every subject, so I'll start with what we used to call Language Arts when I was a kid in school. Grammar, spelling, composition, literature study, etc.

Every program I see seems like the best, and someone here swears that it is the best. I would like something with a very formal grammar instruction, but those seem to be mostly very religious? I've heard good things about Shurley English, and the Michael Clay Thompson though of course those don't start until 3rd grade. I got nothing for spelling, and for vocabulary I'm heavily leaning towards the Wordly Wise series.

I know that nothing works for every child, and I have plenty of time to change my mind... but let's just say for the sake of argument that you could pick and choose the perfect secular k-8 Language Arts. What would you use?

I'm using Handwriting without Tears 2nd grade workbook for beginning grammar. It's sentence copywork that demonstrates great sentences with a capital letter and a punctuation mark. At the same time it teaches neat handwriting. I don't know why it's called 2nd grade. I think capitalization and punctuation is a late kindy, early 1st grade skill.

I bought a mad libs activity boom at the book store. We're discussing the parts of speech using these technichal jargon : naming words, doing words, describing words.

I helped him write one 3 paragraph essay using this formula: my mom is nice (a few sentences why, then rephrase your mom is nice); my dad is nice; my sister is nice. I prompted. He composed. I was the secretary. He copied what I wrote down. It took a few weeks, uh, not every day. Just spread out so it wasn't a lot of work. Consider it an assignment that's due next month. Our next three paragraph essay is going to be: good food, good drink, good desert.

As a goal I have "writing with style" & the 6 + 1 traits middle school kit. These are for me to read and understand where the elementary school education should be leading.

Have you considered writing with ease and first language lessons? I really feel that those covered everything i needed for LA until about Middleschool

grades.

I have looked at those, and I think they look fine. It seems like many people are somewhat ambivalent, though... 80 lessons about nouns or something like that? And that's when I started paying attention to things other people recommended... and that's when I got hugely overwhelmed.

I want to use something relatively open-and-go. It doesn't have to be totally pre-planned, but I'd at least like clear instructions for what one of us is supposed to be doing. I enjoy the path of least resistance, and my DD enjoys doing workbooks.

I'm quickly being overwhelmed with choices in every subject, so I'll start with what we used to call Language Arts when I was a kid in school. Grammar, spelling, composition, literature study, etc.

:grouphug: You're probably overwhelmed because there ARE indeed a lot of choices. Many of these choices will work well. There should be some comfort in knowing that there aren't going to be a lot of wrong choices. You as the educator (your tone, disposition, knowledge, attitude, etc) will probably play a bigger role in the success of a language arts program than the program itself. Also, it is good to know that no program will wind up being perfect. You will tweak and that is okay.

We don't use the same company for all the things you mentioned above and our ideal mix probably won't be your ideal mix.

But here you go:

Reading: Pathway Readers (Amish) and Memoria Press

Spelling: Logic of English

Writing: Climbing to Good English (Amish)

Read Aloud Literature with Charlotte Mason-style retellings: Ambleside Online & CharlotteMasonHelp.com

Grammar: none for this age

Handwriting: Pentime (Amish) and Copywork

Edited by lorisuewho

I don't believe in teaching composition until handwriting, spelling and sentence composition are under control.

Handwriting, phonics/spelling, sentence composition. How to Tutor and Spalding's Writing Road to Reading 6th edition. You really CAN do cursive first with this combo. For uppercase I stick to manuscript though. The spalding lowercase cursive and uppercase manuscript look fine together.

3edd9415.jpg

Climbing to Good English for composition. At the beginning I pull bits and pieces to weave into the HTT lessons, but once the student is writing and if I need them to work more independently I just use the workbooks as is. CGE is a complete English curriculum, if you use it all. :lol:

Pathway Readers are good. Seriously good. But I get Amished out from the CGE lessons and crave some variety. I prefer McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (not the original tan covers). McGuffey's are based on a word list that allows the teacher to teach EVERY word that will EVER appear in the lessons, BEFORE each lesson. I teach the handwriting of the words as well as definition and pronunciation. CBD sells audio for the series.

Reading and Thinking for inference skills. These are short and hard and can be done outloud in 2 minutes. I'm just not getting around to the other reading comprehension skills and have decided they must wait until HTT is completed. I've looked at a LOT of series and am planning on trying Mark Twain Daily Skill Builders: Reading. I like the look of these better than the other similar workbooks.

Sometimes I test with Spalding's McCall-Crabbs since I have them. I used these successfully with a couple ESL students, but I think the above workbooks look more efficient for INSTRUCTION. I probably wouldn't repurchase these at this point, unless I was doing a lot of ESL tutoring. They obsess over tracking progress, and this is the easiest way to appease them.

So, in summary: HTT, WRTR 6th, CGE, McGuffey's, Reading and Thinking, and MAYBE Mark Twain Daily Reading.

Edited by Hunter

Sounds intriguing, but I can't find a sample anywhere and I don't quite understand what they are like. Any idea where there is one? Maybe it's too old of a book for an online sample. Anyway if you already know of one, I'd appreciate it, but Idon't have much hope.

I'll scan and put up a page at photobucket later. It's a must have.

As a child I was failing to infer. I told adults that I didn't know how to answer the question that were not in the text. They just nodded and said they were hard. :001_huh:

I'm a little--okay a LOT--obsessive now about teaching students the word "infer" and how to do it. This series is arrow-through-the-bullseye efficient.

Edited by Hunter

The most conservative Amish only use secular books as they don't teach religion in the schools. Pathway and CGE are not as conservative as some Amish though, and there are mild and PASSIVE references, like the use of a hymn to demonstrate a literary technique. It's not like Rod and Staff, CLE and Abeka, though, where the student is expected to RESPOND with a Christlike answer.

Pathway and CGE know enough not to proselytize, as that is not acceptable even in the more liberal Amish churches.

I have several pages of ideas, and some colorful flow charts, but the backbone of my plan for language arts for the grammar stage is WWE and FLL. I have the first two levels for both (we're 1/3 of the way through Level 1), and I'm really impressed. I understand that the grammar picks up in Level 3, so if we hit there too early, MCT Island might fit well.

I'll scan and put up a page at photobucket later. It's a must have.

As a child I was failing to infer. I told adults that I didn't know how to answer the question that were not in the text. They just nodded and said they were hard. :001_huh:

I'm a little--okay a LOT--obsessive now about teaching students the word "infer" and how to do it. This series is arrow-through-the-bullseye efficient.

Oh. This looks very interesting, I have a child who needs to work on common sense thinking.

I consider Language Arts to be Spelling, Grammar, Reading, and Writing. Reading would include phonics instruction until the child is reading above a 4th grade level. Writing includes handwriting instruction until cursive is mastered.

For Kinder I used HWOT, Explode the Code, OPGTR, and FIAR. My focus is on phonics and learning to print.

For 1st, I added in Spelling Workout and FLL.

For 2nd, we finished OPGTR and the ETC series. I added in WWE. I also added in more independent literature reading with something to go along like a study guide or lapbook.

For 3rd, we are still using Spelling Workout and HWOT. We switched to Voyages in English for Grammar and Writing.

I have been happy with our progress so far. I am doing Kinder with my 2nd child now and using the same things.

You are all welcome. I love that book. I've never needed to finish it, or buy the second book. They get the idea after a few pages. Most students only need to practice as long as it takes to understand what infer MEANS.

I've found that I only like to teach comprehension strategies in mini lessons. Trying to teach comprehension strategies with novels makes them read with LESS comprehension instead of more :glare: And it also ruins the enjoyment factor. I've found less is more with novel reading.

McGuffey's doesn't teach comprehension until the 4th book, or vocabulary until the middle of the 3rd book. The series believes that comprehension and vocabulary shouldn't be taught until phonics and decoding have been mastered. I think they might be right, so I've eased up on comprehension except for the infer book. So much to do, so little time. :tongue_smilie: I'm always looking for the efficient. This one was a goldmine! :D It relieves my guilt of otherwise skipping comprehension strategies.

Every program I see seems like the best, and someone here swears that it is the best. I would like something with a very formal grammar instruction, but those seem to be mostly very religious? I've heard good things about Shurley English, and the Michael Clay Thompson though of course those don't start until 3rd grade. I got nothing for spelling, and for vocabulary I'm heavily leaning towards the Wordly Wise series.

I know that nothing works for every child, and I have plenty of time to change my mind... but let's just say for the sake of argument that you could pick and choose the perfect secular k-8 Language Arts. What would you use?

I haven't read the other responses, so excuse me if I'm repeating anyone :tongue_smilie:

Shurley starts in first grade, if that program appeals to you. I'm still trying to decide between it and FLL. I own both, and Shurley looks a lot more thorough. But FLL looks a lot more....gentle? That seems to be the word most used to describe it.

For vocab we use Wordly Wise and my son LOVES it. It's the first thing he asks to do each day. We're using the Kinder level, so it may be more "fun" than other levels, but I intend to keep using it.

We also adore Handwriting Without Tears, Well, ok...I adore it. My son is not a fan of handwriting :lol:

For the other subjects.....we use AAS for spelling but I'm not sure I'll stick with it. It's still early, but I'm just not really feeling it. For composition I plan to use WWE. For Lit study, I guess you could say we do FIAR for now, but it's at a very gentle pace/depth. Next year I'll start using CHOLL to go along with our SOTW studies.

I noticed there's a teacher's manual for this. Do you think it's necessary?

It can be done without a teacher guide if you don't have a student who makes unusual connections and wants to argue with you. I personally NEED the answer key, but I'm tutoring adults with issues. :lol:

You might occasionally wish you had it, but if you and your student are the type that can just move on, not being certain of the answer, you'll be okay.

I haven't read the other responses, so excuse me if I'm repeating anyone :tongue_smilie:

Shurley starts in first grade, if that program appeals to you. I'm still trying to decide between it and FLL. I own both, and Shurley looks a lot more thorough. But FLL looks a lot more....gentle? That seems to be the word most used to describe it.

For vocab we use Wordly Wise and my son LOVES it. It's the first thing he asks to do each day. We're using the Kinder level, so it may be more "fun" than other levels, but I intend to keep using it.

We also adore Handwriting Without Tears, Well, ok...I adore it. My son is not a fan of handwriting :lol:

For the other subjects.....we use AAS for spelling but I'm not sure I'll stick with it. It's still early, but I'm just not really feeling it. For composition I plan to use WWE. For Lit study, I guess you could say we do FIAR for now, but it's at a very gentle pace/depth. Next year I'll start using CHOLL to go along with our SOTW studies.

Thank you for these reviews, this is just the sort of info I was looking for. I'm pretty set on Wordly Wise, and trying not to get distracted... though it could still happen. I think I'm not going to start the K level for a few more months, as we're concentrating on some other stuff right now and I think I like concentrating on units.

I've heard such good things about AAS, but I was kind of underwhelmed by the samples I saw. I know I've seen other things recommended on here, but have to go digging for them. DD's already done the kindergarten level spelling workbook from Zaner-Bloser, but I'm not sure we'll keep with that curriculum.

Sorry, what's CHOLL?

Here is what we are doing right now:

Handwriting - getty-dubay only some days b/c she is way ahead she is in book D - so we do a line or two max.

Grammar - First Language Lessons book 1& 2 - love this - we don't always do the activities or copywork if that is alreayd being covered for the day in writing or spelling

Writing - WWE 1 - I will follow this through. I'm sold on the philosophy and love how easy it is. i'm using it with the workbook/the chosen copywork and narration sections

Spelling - AAS, at our own pace, sometimes we use the letter tiles and board for only a brief time and then go to paper sometimes we do parts of he lessons orally too.

Reading - we are just working on fluency with a brief time of reading aloud and then silent free reading.

oh yes, for vocabulary we are using Marie's Words and just gradually going through the deck and placing the cards she is learning in a review box set up charlotte mason style.

then we are doing song school latin

don't know if that helps at all.

I don't believe in teaching composition until handwriting, spelling and sentence composition are under control.

Handwriting, phonics/spelling, sentence composition. How to Tutor and Spalding's Writing Road to Reading 6th edition. You really CAN do cursive first with this combo. For uppercase I stick to manuscript though. The spalding lowercase cursive and uppercase manuscript look fine together.

Climbing to Good English for composition. At the beginning I pull bits and pieces to weave into the HTT lessons, but once the student is writing and if I need them to work more independently I just use the workbooks as is. CGE is a complete English curriculum, if you use it all. :lol:

Pathway Readers are good. Seriously good. But I get Amished out from the CGE lessons and crave some variety. I prefer McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (not the original tan covers). McGuffey's are based on a word list that allows the teacher to teach EVERY word that will EVER appear in the lessons, BEFORE each lesson. I teach the handwriting of the words as well as definition and pronunciation. CBD sells audio for the series.

Reading and Thinking for inference skills. These are short and hard and can be done outloud in 2 minutes. I'm just not getting around to the other reading comprehension skills and have decided they must wait until HTT is completed. I've looked at a LOT of series and am planning on trying Mark Twain Daily Skill Builders: Reading. I like the look of these better than the other similar workbooks.

So, in summary: HTT, WRTR 6th, CGE, McGuffey's, Reading and Thinking, and MAYBE Mark Twain Daily Reading.

Thank you so much! I think I will give most of these a try. They seem like a good fit for us. And thank you to the op, it's been something I've been having trouble with also.

Not all of your pieces of LA start in K. We did not use a lot of formal curriculum in K-2. This is what we did:

K:

handwriting: HWOT for older, Getty Dubai for younger + lots of dot to dots, mazes, and coloring to strengthen their hands.

Reading: I just taught my child to read while snuggled up on the sofa. We used the Bob books at first and then switched to the readers in the library. You should read to him, he should read to you, and he should read independently.

phonics: I got a list of all the different spellings for the 44 different sounds in English, and taught him phonics as I taught him to read.

As far as I am concerned, that is it for K.

1st:

handwriting: HWOT or GD

copying: using material from their own books

phonics: continue with phonics instruction while teaching child to read. I just teach the rules as I they pop up. After he finished reading a book to me, I would go back and show him 1 new thing and review an old thing.

spelling: memorize top 100 words (a lot of these don't follow the "rules")

reading: read to child, child reads to you, child reads independently

Literature: read the good books from Ambleside to them

2nd:

handwriting: HWOT or GD

copying and dictation: 1x/day from famous literature like Charlotte's Web

phonics: drill rules while studying spelling words

spelling: we use Spelling Wisdom because it is more holistic. Graded spelling using famous quotes rather than lists

Composition: begin IEW TWSS in the 2nd half of the year

Literature: my kids begin reading their way through Ambleside Online's literature and free read lists (we skip the rest of the curriculum)

Grammar: KISS grammar available free online. Excellent material, poor website.

3rd - 5th grade

Spelling: spelling wisdom

Composition: IEW

Literature: Ambleside Online

Grammar: KISS

HTH

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Our current plan is Saxon Phonics K-2 starting in Preschool and ending by the end of 1st grade with the Phonics Museum as a supplement (the workbook and primers). For handwriting we use the Writing Road to Reading to help guide the letter formation in preschool (since there are no specific directions in Saxon) and then we use Logic of English's Manuscript Workbook in K to learn a little bit of a fancier style which is used in Phonics Museum and on the other side of the Saxon alphabet strip. They use Logic of English's cursive workbook towards the end of 1st grade to learn cursive. They read Bob Books to me as soon as they are able in addition to the readers in Saxon, the readers in Phonics Museum, and Itty Bitty Phonics Readers that Veritas Press sells. Starting in 1st grade they read to me the old McGuffey Readers one lesson a day to practice oral reading, expression, etc. They move through one book each year ending with the fourth reader in 6th grade.

In 2nd grade they do Logic of English and they use Classically Cursive for handwriting and copywork. They will also use Pre-Scripts starting next year to help with learning their memory work from CC. In 3rd grade I want them to use LOE's advanced level when it comes out. For my current 3rd grader we will learn the advanced phonograms from LOE and do some work on word roots using English From the Roots Up (her current recommendation). That is in addition to studying Latin and Greek using the workbooks from Greek 'N Stuff. I plan to do an introduction to IEW using their Level A books (Fairy Tales/Fables/Myths and All Things Fun and Fascinating). I teach them to write letters, thank-you notes, and journal entries to fill in on the days I don't teach IEW.

From 4th-6th grade they will do Classical Conversation's Essentials of the English Language and IEW Theme-based books. They are memorizing grammar definitions and lists through CC's Foundations program from the age of 3 or 4. They use Spelling Plus for spelling. I think in the summers we will use Hake Grammar and Writing. I may start that the summer after 3rd grade to get them ready for Essentials.

My understanding is there are vocabulary words in the IEW books. Vocabulary may be a weak spot I need to examine a little more. I think there is grammar in the Hake books.

For literature they do the literature guides and all the literature books and living books Veritas sells for each grade level starting in K.

Also, they memorize poetry using IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization starting at age 4.

I think these programs fit together very nicely....but if you don't want something religious I would replace Hake for Essentials.