Menu

Adult kids...

This is the hardest part of parenting imho. They want thier way, independence, whatever resources the parents have (time, attention, money, insurance, car, great holidays, gifts, kudos, affection, etc.etc.), but don't tell them what to do ever, or give your opinion, or share examples, and they do.not ever want to hear about your life, and somehow it's the parent's fault when what you told them wouldn't turn out doesn't turn out.

And if they are rude, inconsiderate, selfish- the parent has misunderstood.

My revenge is going to be that they WILL.NOT.DRIVE.ME.CRAZY.

ME TOO!! My daughter is 20, and we had a really hard time when she was younger, too - but she still drives me nuts. I asked her to stop trolling me on my facebook page and she said she'd have to defriend me to do that. :confused:

and i never try, and the things i do are the wrong things, and the things we do for her now are minimal (I buy my own lunch now, sometimes, so you arent really feeding me).

The thing is, she's a real dynamo who will go far, i'm sure . . . but i cant wait until she has more in her life than just mom. She went to high school and then was dual enrolled but is not in touch with any friends. She was working for a while but they kept scheduling her to close at 11:30 when she had to be at school (30 minutes away) at 8 am . . . but dh is mad about her quitting.

anyways, i'm pretty sure she'll move far away when she's done with school, so i try to just make the best of it. Even when she points out she didnt miss being here at ALL when she was living with friends out of state for 7 months, and thats SO SAD (and all my fault). Mmm hmm. Cuz i would totally expect a strong-willed, independent minded 18 yo who chose to move all the way across the country to be with her bf to miss her mom . . . . so glad you came back even tho I'm doing it all wrong. :tongue_smilie: :glare: :rant::banghead::biggrinjester:

This is the hardest part of parenting imho. They want thier way, independence, whatever resources the parents have (time, attention, money, insurance, car, great holidays, gifts, kudos, affection, etc.etc.), but don't tell them what to do ever, or give your opinion, or share examples, and they do.not ever want to hear about your life, and somehow it's the parent's fault when what you told them wouldn't turn out doesn't turn out.

And if they are rude, inconsiderate, selfish- the parent has misunderstood.

My revenge is going to be that they WILL.NOT.DRIVE.ME.CRAZY.

Oh my goodness, can I relate. Can I come hang out with you? Going through the same thing here, and mind isn't even officially an adult yet.

Thanks, Jane!

:grouphug:db.

1/2 pot of coffee and a mellow morning and I think I've regained some equilibrium.

Glad to hear it.

My son has a sort of semi-respectful glazing of the eyes when I move into unsolicited "let me give you some advice" mode. I know that he is not really listening but he is putting up a good front. This can infuriate me or make me laugh--depending on my mood.

It was good to have him with me for a week before the fall semester at college began. At the end of the week we had an argument over a triviality. It made me realize it was time for him to go back!

Yes, just when you think you have mastered the baby phase, can handle any 2--year-old meltdown, and can navigate your child through the teen years . . . you land squarely in the middle of a whole new phase: parenting the adult. Nobody warned us there would be yet another learning curve!! And yet, it's not really parenting an adult. It's walking alongside, continuing to advise when you are one of perhaps many advisors, getting a *vote* and not the final say-so in some decisions and praying that God Himself will lead where we are unable. Releasing and transitions are not easy. But I do think, in the end, a good hand-off and transition are worth it.

Hugs to my fellow baton passers,

Lisa