Menu

Looking for a cheap unlimited text cell phone plan

We pay $15/mo. for dd's T-Mobile's unlimited text/no talk plan. She's had it for two years, and it's being discontinued.

I'd like to get her a nice phone (which means no Cricket-type plan/phone); we would prefer a pay as you go plan but would consider a contract. Dh and I are loving our StraightTalk, but it's too much $$$ for dd.

She doesn't need talk; she doesn't need data. What I'd really like is a similar unlimited texting plan.

Suggestions?

Do you have an iPad with a data plan? I can text for free on mine with an app, and it costs $15 a month for data to use when I am away from wifi. It works on iPods too, but you need wifi.

Do you have a link for this? We're trying to figure out a cheap texting plan for my dd at college. She has an ipad, no data plan but adding it for $15/mo is cheaper than any phone plan we've found.

Just checked the Tmobile website and they have indeed taken off the $15/mo unlimited text option, which is what my daughter and I have. They are offering unlimited text, web, and 100 minutes of talk for $30. I might go with that if they don't let me stay with my current plan. My daughter uses Skype for her phone which allows unlimited calling to any cell or landline phone for $2.99 per month, as long as she's using wifi.

Check to see if you a grandfathered in if you keep the plan.

Usually, what Tmobile does is just not allow people to change to that plan. Everyone that keeps it, stays. But if you make changes and go off of it, you can't get it back later.

I don't believe they'll cancel her, as I haven't received anything via email, and she hasn't said they've texted her. I was considering a new phone for her, and I was thinking about getting my ds the same plan.

Where did you see that they were discontinuing this plan? this is what my daughter has too.

When it wasn't on the website, I googled. I found a t-mobile link from the end of August confirming that plan was discontinued.

Just checked the Tmobile website and they have indeed taken off the $15/mo unlimited text option, which is what my daughter and I have. They are offering unlimited text, web, and 100 minutes of talk for $30.

If I have to switch down the road, we'll consider this.

Ds has unlimited text and some talk minutes on Cricket for $25/month, but the phone is lousy, lousy. We bought it as a spare when we dropped our landline. Dd is low maintenance--I'm happy to buy her another nice phone, but I am not too keen on paying more for her service!

And no iPad, unfortunately . . .

I really like the fact that we have different carriers for our phones, and a different ISP at home. If one company goes out for a few days (hasn't happened yet), at least we won't be completely out of touch.