Menu

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp - Reviews??

kagmypts

I was wondering if anyone has used Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp. I found this book on Amazon last night, and it looks perfect for us! For those who have read/used this book, did you find it helpful? Did it align with what you taught? Thanks so much!!

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Learning-Year-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0609805851/ref=zg_bs_69844_68

Edited by kagmypts

I have gotten this out of the library a few times and I thought it was really good.... 10 years ago. The homeschooling world has changed so much in the last 10 years that I don't know how helpful the book would be now. It would be great if she could update it.

Thank you so much for this insight! Do you know of any books like this that have been updated? I really WANT a book like this as it would give me so much confidence to abandon textbooks for science & social studies.

I really love this. Great compact source for quality resources and ideas. I also have Books to Build On and the What Your ___ Grader Should Know books, but I find this one book offers more than all those other books combined. I don't find the curriculum suggestions or software resources very helpful (WTM is great for that!:D), but the book lists and skills/content lists are exactly what I need. Just MHO.

I really love this. Great compact source for quality resources and ideas. I also have Books to Build On and the What Your ___ Grader Should Know books, but I find this one book offers more than all those other books combined. I don't find the curriculum suggestions or software resources very helpful (WTM is great for that!:D), but the book lists and skills/content lists are exactly what I need. Just MHO.

Thank you! I was looking at the other two books last night.

What is WTM?

I have gotten this out of the library a few times and I thought it was really good.... 10 years ago. The homeschooling world has changed so much in the last 10 years that I don't know how helpful the book would be now. It would be great if she could update it.

It is out dated, but still valuable. I found it to be one of the most helpful books on HSing I ever used.

it is mostly secular, BTW. It might even be totally secular, I forget.

It is one of 3 books I recommend to new HSers.:D

:iagree: Great handy resource. It kinda is a compact what you xth grader needs to know, with curriculum.

Thank you! I was looking at the other two books last night.

What is WTM?

THe Well Trained Mind. It is the homeschool book written and Published by those who host this forum. It is my main homeschool reference.

I have the Rupp book. It contains a HUGE list by grade level of skills by content area. I can't imagine trying to cover them all, but it does help give an idea what your __-grader needs to know. Mine usually know 75% of what she lists in the areas they are strong in .... and about 25% of the other areas.

Helps you to know where you need to focus in a skill area.

Another big plus is that it isn't overwhelming of intimidating. TWTM can be a bit daunting, especially if you are a newbie or don't realize she's trying to cover more than you can possibly do, so people have options. If you thought SWB meant for you to do everything in the book, you would go insane, IMHO.

I actually prefer the curriculum suggestions in the Rupp book, but that's a personal preference. The scope and sequence is quite good, though.

I have it Amd I like it. It's a good thing to have on hand when one wants to cover something in a traditional, rather than classical way. It can also fill in gaps where you might be wondering about specific skills. It's pretty outdated though- many suggested curricula and almost all of the web links are no longer available.

I have it Amd I like it. It's a good thing to have on hand when one wants to cover something in a traditional, rather than classical way. It can also fill in gaps where you might be wondering about specific skills. It's pretty outdated though- many suggested curricula and almost all of the web links are no longer available.

Thank you for this comment! You hit the nail on the head for me. I don't want to abandon a traditional curriculum. I plan to incorporate some classical elements, but since I think that our kids will transition back into a private school at some point, I want to make sure that what they are learning keeps them close to grade level. I have had no problem finding curricula outlines for a classical education, but I have had a very hard time finding guidelines for a traditional curriculum. That is precisely why the Rupp book appealed to me. I am sure that we will move outside of traditional textbooks for history, social studies, and science, but now I can do a much better job of picking our spine!

I just sent her a message, with a link, so maybe we can find out if she is thinking of a new addition.

"Is this you?

If so, we are having a chat about you on THe Well Trained Mind Forum. The general consensus is your book is great! However, we would love an updated version. If you need help with research there are a lot of ladies that that would love to help. Please consider it.

Cheers,

Nicole

Northwest_Mama

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=423571"

I use it, every year, to create the IHIPS my district requires.. the one year I tried to get away with sending the bare minimum of my interpretation of the regulations.. they bounced it right back.. So I pull this out and just use the suggestions for what to teach for what grade/subject as part of my IHIP and then fill in the detailed goals using the text books I have chosen.. Otherwise, I don't really refer to it...

I really enjoy Rebecca R. and I loved this book, before I had a few years experience with actual h.s.!

Just as we learn about our kids and often have to change curricula and schedules etc., I found I changed a lot and her book was so overwhelming it made my head swim. I realized I'm just not that much of a 'cross the t's and dot the i's' so to speak. I mean, each grade she goes through is d-e-t-a-i-l-e-d. ugh. Not me.

If you'd like to see the book and peruse it for a while, email me off board and we'll talk. As long as I can find it! But I think it's on one of the shelves.....

ETA: I also have the William Bennett book 'The Educated child, a parent's guide'.

Like another poster said, 'have them on the shelf, yet to use them'.

Edited by Yolanda