Menu

S/O how much time is your average student "learning" per day?

My sophomore is typically doing school work for 8 hours a day.

Edited to add: I should mention that he tends to be easily distracted and he is trying to improve his ability to focus so that he can work more efficiently.

Edited by Mom2boys

grades 9-10 = 5-6 hours/day (with 2-3 Fridays per month as short academic days to do homeschool group activities)

grades 11-12 = 5-6 hours/day (with only 1 Friday every 4-5 weeks either off or shortened for homeschool group activities)

Only very occasional reading or finishing writing in the evening.

PE hours, and hours involved in extracurriculars (Youth Group, community service, sports team, Youth & Government, etc.) NOT included in the above.

A few summers, we continued to work for an hour or so a day in order to finish subjects that did not get completed during the regular school year (36 weeks). Two summers, that was about 3-4 weeks. One summer, it was all summer (Algebra 2 was not clicking!!).

Edited by Lori D.

9th grader with Asperger Syndrome.

We start around 7:30 am and go till 12ish and get our major subjects done, including Spanish Elective and Film Elective.

Afternoons he reads at least an hour, does typing and we go to the gym 3 days or more a week. I also sometimes add additional work (and will continue to). School just started last week.

Sometimes we will save film for later in the day and watch a movie for class.

I'm fluid but dealing with an unemployed husband who doesn't see why I have to do so much through the day as it takes away from him and his issues. I feel like I am torn in 2 most of the time and it's exhausting. (sorry to complain).

I am trying to improve my son's writing skills and prepare him for "real life school."

My 9th grader does about 5 hours a day. I think I go pretty easy on him. I may need to step it up.

Not necessarily. He may just be efficient and fast :) I know I was always one of the first ones done with work - glad my teacher didn't give me more work just because I was quick :)

Not necessarily. He may just be efficient and fast :) I know I was always one of the first ones done with work - glad my teacher didn't give me more work just because I was quick :)

I think that is the weakness of ps. When you can get through work quickly I see it as an opportunity to learn more, not to work less. My dd is a fast worker and she covers far more each school year than a ps student her age would. Could she just have short days, sure. She would probably even like that. She also likes finding that he is way ahead of her peers in most subjects and can help ps friends who are a year or two older with their homework. I think this is a matter of perspective.

I think that is the weakness of ps. When you can get through work quickly I see it as an opportunity to learn more, not to work less. My dd is a fast worker and she covers far more each school year than a ps student her age would. Could she just have short days, sure. She would probably even like that. She also likes finding that he is way ahead of her peers in most subjects and can help ps friends who are a year or two older with their homework. I think this is a matter of perspective.

Well - I'm not saying that a 3-4 hour day would be acceptable in high school (in most cases) - I think that would be a case of not challenging the student enough. However - a 5 hour average with a decent amount of work could be about right for some kids. I don't think that counts as short, really, as long as time for lunch and breaks isn't counted in that 5 hours. My son could never do the amount of work he needs to in 5 hours; if he could he'd be very de-motivated if I added more work, lol. He still gets a lot more out of each school year than most ps kids do. Also - a lot of DS's and DD's don't really care if they are ahead of their peers - nor would they want to help out older kids, or advertise that they could, lol. My son likes to kinda fly under the radar, so to speak.