Menu

Need ideas for 6 dinners that freeze well, please

My mother and I are renting a cabin at a state park (with a/c and all conveniences of home!) for six nights. We are taking Aidan (my dog). I am very excited about this. I have not spent more than 3 nights, total, away from my children in 18.5 years. That's not counting 10 days they went away to camp -- I mean, away from them and away from home!

DD is going to be in charge of dinner. Otherwise, DH and the boys will gang up on my budget and go out to eat every night. They favor Pizza Hut and Applebees, so that would be around $50 a night. I need suggestions of meals that will taste good even after they are frozen, or the males will ditch dinner at home in a cat's away, mice will play sort of situation.

I plan on making beef stew, chili, and spaghetti sauce. Probably will freeze some hamburger patties since that is DS1's favorite food. I'm stuck once I leave the realm of ground beef. Which main dishes still taste great after they've been cooked and frozen? They have to be American food because DH won't eat anything else except for pizza and spaghetti. Also, DH is more of a meat and potatoes man -- he does not like rice or strange (meaning any) grains.

DD can make salads and heat frozen veg in the microwave, so I'm not worried about that.

I'll make some desserts before I leave, so DH won't be tempted to buy himself another $26 My Little Pony cake at the grocery store (it was the only one that was a yellow cake). I told him next time he buys a store-bought cake, I will throw it out the window. But I won't be here to do that!

Thank you for your suggestions!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Will he eat Lasagna?

What about Tex/Mex, like enchiladas or enchilada casserole?

How about Philly cheese steak sandwiches? You can slice the steak, season it, throw it in a bag w/ onions and peppers, and they can just throw it in a pan and cook it quickly.

A pot roast w/ veggies can be frozen and reheated.

Roasted chicken.

I also have seen where folks do a crockpot prep and freeze it. Crockin'girls.com who are also on Facebook maybe? Then you just dump the premixed ingredients into the crockpot and let it cook.

Porkloin in the crockpot is easy. There is a recipe that has only 3 ingredients. I could find it if you would like it.

Meatloaf.

Cheezy potatoes freeze really well and go with either Meatloaf or Porkloin.

Since you're going to be gone for 6 days and there are 6 in your family....I'd suggest that you assign one dinner meal per person to be in charge of preparing/serving/cleaning up/etc while you are gone. Since you will be gone, you get to make the first meal and leave it in the fridge to be reheated or whatever on the first night that you are gone! Explain this to the rest of your family and have them come up with an "approved" (by you) menu before you leave!

Myra

Meatloaf and Mac n Cheese freezes really well.

You KNOW they're going out anyway. Right?

THIS!!! :lol:

Which is why *I* would plan for it...."So, dh since I'm gonna be gone, why don't you take the kids out once or twice for pizza or what-not. For the rest of the time, I've got some meals already done up in the freezer that dd can heat up."

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes with green beans

Lasagna

Baked Chicken with Stuffing

Edited by KatherineTheGreat