Menu

Grading Scale for projects and other non-test work

fourcatmom

Does anyone have a system that they use to grade non quiz/test type work. Copywork, notebooking, maping, projects, etc. that you might want to give credit for but there is not a clear cut number of correct responses.

I would think something that would include following directions, neatness, effort, etc.

Depending on the amount of work, I will simply give 5/5 or 10/10 points to give credit for completion. If I don't feel that it's his best work all around (handwriting, following directions, etc.) I'll take off a point. If I think he deserves less than that, he simply needs to re-do it.

If it's something a bit more involved, like a project, I'll create a Rubric. I love, love, love rubrics because I can create it before I even give the assignment and base it on my own expectations. This takes a little bit of objectivity out of the grading and makes it easier for me. It also allows him to see my expectations before even beginning and can use it as a bit of a checklist.

You need a rubric. :001_smile: It's a list of how a project or assignment will be graded. It can be shared with the student, too, so that they understand expectations clearly.

You can google and get a million different samples of rubrics, often for the exact assignment. Here's an example of a rubric for a science report, just for an example. If you make your own, they can be much simpler than that.