Menu

Do you like TOG yr 2 units 3 and 4?

Any feedback on what these are like? All I know is what I'm seeing looking at the scope and sequence, week titles, and lampstand booklists. What is the emphasis and the take-away for the dialectic and rhetoric levels? Dd is specifically wanting to cover 18th century europe for a while.

Yes, I know it's eccentric, but we're running with it. :D

PS. Is the Woloch book good?

TOG had a dual emphasis during those units. The core history readings are US history while the in-depth readings are European history. The discussions, from what I remember, were also divided into 2 parts, American and European history, with many references about how the two were interconnected. I found it fascinating. The readings were often hefty and ds (9th grade last year) wasn't thrilled with the books. I'm not certain how much of that is age and maturity because he's much more agreeable about the upcoming school year and work than he was last year. :001_smile:

Thanks Coffee, you're a dear! That's EXACTLY what I was trying to figure out. And yes, I looked at the in-depth european history books and felt like they weren't exactly what she needs. She's not looking for american at all, because we just did a year of that. I'm just gonna use the BJU world history that I have here and be done with it.

Ok, I'll ask this. Do the SAPs for the rhetoric level add anything as far as the synthesis of the european history? I have *some* with the BJU but could use more. For instance BJU 14 (3rd edition) has them compare/contrast the 30 years war and the 7 years war, and it has a chart helping them contrast the european absolutism and british limited monarchy. Those are the detailed contrasts for that chapter, and I think it roughly compares to I think weeks 22 and 23 in yr. 2. BJU also gives me a map with things to label. I'd like to spend two weeks on this chapter, fleshing out topics, and I finding myself wishing for more charts for synthesis and some instruction on what to DO with the map. Actually, I just searched my other books, and Spielvogel has the type of comparative maps I was thinking of.

So mainly I'm trying to figure out if TOG adds anything to what I already have. I guess it would be SAPs, since you say the in-depth books were dry. I've got Kagan, Spielvogel plus the BJU (so plenty of discussion questions) and some biographies someone else clued me into by Picard, Mitford, etc. It doesn't sound like those are on the TOG lists, because the Picard books, at least from the samples on amazon, look very interesting. We were cracking up over the samples. Apparently it was a colorful time period. :D

Well thanks for taking the time to answer! I've lusted for TOG for years. It satisfies *my* yearning for structure, but it never quite seems to fit dd. I'm sure we're doing it the hard way, but we'll pursue what I'm doing and see what happens.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Ok, I'll ask this. Do the SAPs for the rhetoric level add anything as far as the synthesis of the european history? I have *some* with the BJU but could use more. For instance BJU 14 (3rd edition) has them compare/contrast the 30 years war and the 7 years war, and it has a chart helping them contrast the european absolutism and british limited monarchy. Those are the detailed contrasts for that chapter, and I think it roughly compares to I think weeks 22 and 23 in yr. 2. BJU also gives me a map with things to label. I'd like to spend two weeks on this chapter, fleshing out topics, and I finding myself wishing for more charts for synthesis and some instruction on what to DO with the map. Actually, I just searched my other books, and Spielvogel has the type of comparative maps I was thinking of.

So mainly I'm trying to figure out if TOG adds anything to what I already have. I guess it would be SAPs, since you say the in-depth books were dry. I've got Kagan, Spielvogel plus the BJU (so plenty of discussion questions) and some biographies someone else clued me into by Picard, Mitford, etc. It doesn't sound like those are on the TOG lists, because the Picard books, at least from the samples on amazon, look very interesting. We were cracking up over the samples. Apparently it was a colorful time period. :D

Well thanks for taking the time to answer! I've lusted for TOG for years. It satisfies *my* yearning for structure, but it never quite seems to fit dd. I'm sure we're doing it the hard way, but we'll pursue what I'm doing and see what happens.

Yes!! But they need to be used in conjunction with the Socratic discussions to get your student off the launch pad.

This is doubly so if you also use their literature which for this time period I would encourage you to do as literature and history go very closely hand in hand.