Menu

? about *who/what* are population norms for tests

Bang!Zoom!

Okay, say you are interested in __x___ test for whatever reason, let's throw in the Woodcock Johnson for pretend.

When you are reading about a testing situation - who/what - are the qualities behind the baseline of the tests? What population are they using to create standards?

Is there some sort of word for this? How do you know?

It seems like I should know this, but it's just beyond me today.

Most of the major achievement & cognitive tests, like the Woodcock Johnson, use large samples of people (several thousand, although it depends on the test) from across the nation to "norm" the scores. They usually try to include a representative sample that mirrors the population in question. Hope that helps!

If it is a new version of a test that has been around for awhile, the publishers will compare scores on the old test with the raw scores on the new version. I know when GDC was doing the extended norms testing for the new version of the WPPSI last spring, they gave preference to kids who had previous WPPSI scores on file.