Menu

LCHF - totally NOT working...WHY??

A little background... I am 40 years old and never had issues with weight until a partial hysterectomy (tmi?). After that I gained over 50 lbs in 2 years. I have had blood work done and regular check ups and nothing ever comes back weird. I have tried weight watchers - lost nothing; south beach - nothing...

So now I tried LCHF - I was soooo good for 10 days - easily ate less than 20g of carbs every day. I went through the feeling like doodoo stage and that went away. I never got any energy boost, started losing my hair and lost ZERO POUNDS!!! Ugh!

Anyone have any recommendations? I am getting very frustrated. :banghead:

I feel like all I was eating was fat :tongue_smilie: In a typical day I would have coffee with heavy cream and stevia drops; cottage cheese with mayo (sounds weird but tastes good) with a tomato on top; bacon; scrambled eggs with heavy cream, ham & cheese with butter on top; lots of water; and for dinner whatever meat the family was having with salad (blue cheese dressing) and other veggies.

I was actually enjoying most of the food - who doesn't love bacon and butter?

when I consider LCHF; I think of the fats you eat as "high fats" but that still doesn't excuse you to eat more than typical. There should still be 3/4 of your plate as veggies, etc. a snack would be an apple and a wee bit of cheese or nuts, etc.

You can easily go over on calories if you are eating way too much protein/fats.

A little background... I am 40 years old and never had issues with weight until a partial hysterectomy (tmi?). After that I gained over 50 lbs in 2 years. I have had blood work done and regular check ups and nothing ever comes back weird. I have tried weight watchers - lost nothing; south beach - nothing...

So now I tried LCHF - I was soooo good for 10 days - easily ate less than 20g of carbs every day. I went through the feeling like doodoo stage and that went away. I never got any energy boost, started losing my hair and lost ZERO POUNDS!!! Ugh!

Anyone have any recommendations? I am getting very frustrated. :banghead:

Are you saying that you've only been on the diet for 10days? I'm confused.

Also, what books and/or websites did you read to educate yourself on LC lifestyle?

I know nothing about LCHF diets, but whatever you are doing sounds like your body is reacting poorly. If trying certain dieting methods are not working, perhaps you need to look at a broader lifestyle focus. Do you participate in regular, sustained physically activity? Are there any other physical issues (e.g., hormones, medication) that might be effecting your weight?

The LCHF way of eating has worked great for my dh--he has experienced all the touted benefits and feels great. It was a complete failure for me. I did not experience any improvements or weight loss. Different things work for different people. Dh definitely wasn't following the diet better than I was. It just suits him better. I'm okay with that because I'm much happier and satisfied on an "almost vegan" diet. For me, the turn-around came with eating healthy foods I enjoy (I've always had a healthy diet but I had temporarily eliminated foods because they were considered taboo on LCHF, not because of a genuine intolerance), upping my caloric intake and changing my fitness focus (I enjoy running but have made it a point in recent months to focus more on strength training and complement it with running).

trying to answer everyone's questions...i don't know how to multiquote...

IMO it HAS to be hormone related. I had no issues with weight until the surgery. I am on a medication for panic attacks that can have a weight gain side efect but it took me years to find something that works so I am hesitant to go off of it. Plus I started gaining weight before I went on this particular medication.

As to exercise - I walk several times a week but nothing worthy of Jillian Michaels. I want to start running but I'd like to lose some weight first so my joints dont explode.

When I went to my doctor and told him that Weight Watchers didn't work for me he looked at me like I had 2 heads - he basically said WW works for everyone if you do it right...I am hearing the same thing about LCHF, Paleo, Atkins, etc. How can this make sense?

So - it sounds like many of you are doing more of a clean-eating approach rather than a strict LCHF. High protein, good fats, more veggies, no sugar kind of thing. Maybe I should go more that route...thoughts?

I have been reading Mark's Daily Apple and I read the Adkins book.

Maybe the dairy is an issue - I was trying to get more calcium and breakstone 4% cottage cheese was lower in carbs. Plus it was a fast breakfast.

I always tout Eat to Live on weight loss threads... you may want to check it out. You could do a modified version of it incorporating meat and tons of raw greens.

Did you watch "fat head?" In his second experiment he ate zero carbs, high fat, but he ate "fields" of low carb veggies. I try to eat 1 lb raw greens a day which usually equals one very large romaine head or 2-3 smaller romaine hearts. I can get greens really cheap at a local produce stand so it's not hard on the wallet. I also juice greens.

Add some resistance/weight training and forget about your weight. Follow the Atkins book to the best of your ability and get rid of your scale - or don't weigh yourself for several weeks. Concentrate on overall health instead of weight loss. As we age we lose muscle mass. Work on rebuilding loss muscle - weights are best for that. :001_smile:

IMO it HAS to be hormone related. I had no issues with weight until the surgery. I am on a medication for panic attacks that can have a weight gain side efect but it took me years to find something that works so I am hesitant to go off of it. Plus I started gaining weight before I went on this particular medication.

As to exercise - I walk several times a week but nothing worthy of Jillian Michaels. I want to start running but I'd like to lose some weight first so my joints dont explode.

When I went to my doctor and told him that Weight Watchers didn't work for me he looked at me like I had 2 heads - he basically said WW works for everyone if you do it right...I am hearing the same thing about LCHF, Paleo, Atkins, etc. How can this make sense?

So - it sounds like many of you are doing more of a clean-eating approach rather than a strict LCHF. High protein, good fats, more veggies, no sugar kind of thing. Maybe I should go more that route...thoughts?

Maybe the dairy is an issue - I was trying to get more calcium and breakstone 4% cottage cheese was lower in carbs. Plus it was a fast breakfast.

I don't follow the Mark's Daily Apple blog, but it's my understanding that he recommends both of the above -- i.e., a diet that could be described as "clean eating," and that's also much lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein and fat than the norm.

The hair loss you've mentioned concerns me the most, as it could be a sign of nutrient deficiency. Unless you're a very active person who's taking in and burning lots of fuel, you probably can't get away with eating empty calories (e.g. the mayonnaise), or additives that might increase your need for certain nutrients (e.g. nitrates in the ham). Everything you're eating on a regular basis has to count, nutritionally speaking. So I'd strongly recommend sticking with fresh whole foods, at least during the trial period. Otherwise, you won't know if your problems are due to the proportion of macronutrients, or to eating the processed stuff.

ETA some links from the MDA site:

Dear Mark: Rancid Fat, Store-Bought Mayo and Rice Bran Oil

Primal Blueprint Shopping List

Sample Daily Menu

The advice looks pretty much like what people are suggesting on this thread. His version of LC allows anywhere from 50 to 150 g of carbohydrates, depending on whether you're trying to lose or maintain weight. That's pretty moderate compared to something like Atkins induction, and would allow for an ample variety of non-starchy vegetables and non-tropical fruits.

Edited by Eleanor

In another recent LCHF thread, a lot of people were saying that it was the only thing that had worked for them, and some other people poo-pooed that it must only be calories in/out or that they'd tried it and it hadn't worked for them...

Here's the thing. We're all different. LCHF might be the only thing that works for one person, make them feel great and lose weight, and for another, it may make them feel icky and not lose a pound.

Weight Watchers and low-fat Dean Ornish style diets, and Vegetarian or Vegan diets, or no gluten, or no dairy, or so many other variaitons work great for some people, and not for others too.

Listen to your body. It sounds like your body is telling you that for you, this is not the right diet.

But more veggies is never a bad thing. ;)

Personally, I always hated running, but I have seen it bring about some amazing changes in people. Maybe ease into it a few minutes at a time during your normal walk?

I CAN help with the multi-quote thing. Scroll down past the signature and then look right. If you click the button in the middle (") it turns red and you are set up to multi-quote. Just choose all the posts you want and then hit post/reply at the bottom of the page. The posts will all be waiting for you in the reply window.

8DB26677-8309-4423-8660-4D28579FF162-700-00000288B82F8F6C.jpg

I CAN help with the multi-quote thing. Scroll down past the signature and then look right. If you click the button in the middle (") it turns red and you are set up to multi-quote. Just choose all the posts you want and then hit post/reply at the bottom of the page. The posts will all be waiting for you in the reply window.

8DB26677-8309-4423-8660-4D28579FF162-700-00000288B82F8F6C.jpg

THANKS!!!!! :party: