Menu

I found a great typing program!

Alicia64

So, per SWB, fourth graders should start learning to type. I heard her say this in Feb. '12.

I finally bought Typing Instructor for kids Platinum (for Win and Mac) and my boys, both 9, love it.

It's set up similar to a video game in that you have to type to finish with a land so you can eventually get to a castle.

My kids get very little TV, no Wii and very little video games -- so this has been a huge hit in our house.

Highly recommend.

Alley

I noticed that when I ran ours on Windows7 that it asked every time for permission to change my computer. I finally just made my security setting s lower and it stopped doing that, but that could be what's causing the problem for you.

My kids are also loving it. Everyone from the 7 to 12 year old is doing it.

FYI, it worked great on our old computer, but it's hardly working on the new one. Our computer is just a few months old, and I'm not sure what win. Program it is. I have the latest typing instructor.

My daughter did that last year (she was 11) and she really liked it at first and thought it was fun but it seemed she very quickly got bored with it and felt like she was playing all the same games over and over and over again. She never wanted to do it anymore. But I made her do it X number of days a week all year, she huffed and sighed her way through it, and this year when I watch her type something for fun, she doesn't use proper technique at all. Maybe I'll just wait til she's a little older (I think I was in 8th grade when I learned to type!) and just find and use a no frills thing. I don't know. Hope it goes better for your boys!

My daughter did that last year (she was 11) and she really liked it at first and thought it was fun but it seemed she very quickly got bored with it and felt like she was playing all the same games over and over and over again. She never wanted to do it anymore. But I made her do it X number of days a week all year, she huffed and sighed her way through it, and this year when I watch her type something for fun, she doesn't use proper technique at all. Maybe I'll just wait til she's a little older (I think I was in 8th grade when I learned to type!) and just find and use a no frills thing. I don't know. Hope it goes better for your boys!

Good to know! We've been doing Dance Mat Typing and I found it wasn't teaching my son accuracy so we opened him up an email account and he emails his two grandma's back and forth. I think that has done more for him than anything else we could have tried. He is 9.