Menu

Supplementing EPGY

Truscifi

Ds8 has been using EPGY math by itself for a while now, and while I feel he is learning and making progress, I also feel like something is missing. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to supplement with? Maybe something with a focus on word problems, or just a different approach to problem solving?

BTW, ds is currently about halfway through 4th according to EPGY and moving fairly quickly.

He's 8. He doesn't love math, but he doesn't hate it either. I've been hesitant to push him too much because I don't want him to start to hate it, but I really feel it would be good for him to have a little something extra, especially in terms of word problems.

I looked at the Primary Challenge book on Amazon. It doesn't have the look inside feature, so I'm just going by the description, but it says it is geared for 1st-4th. If he is already halfway through 4th on EPGY, is it worth it to start with the Primary one to get him used to a different style, or should I go straight to the Challenge Math level?

When we used EPGY I also used Teaching Textbooks and Singapore.

I ditched Singapore recently in favor of Right Start Math (LOVE IT!) and we still use Teaching Textbooks.

I love Right Start because it is FUN. Lots of games and really fun activities.

Oh! I forgot. We also use Life of Fred (which we LOVE.)