Menu

s/o NOT getting cycle back while nursing

Please, someone else here tell me you don't get your fertility back while nursing! I posted on the other thread but I'm one who does not ovulate until nursing/pumping is 100% done. I can't even pump/nurse one time per day and ovulate! It seems many ladies I know IRL who would love to have babies close together do not get their fertility back while those who want to have a longer space between siblings get their cycle very soon postpartum. Ironic. :glare:

I have heard of people not getting their periods/fertility back while nursing. I have never experienced it. The longest I would go without a return to fertility/periods was 6 months.

ETA: It doesn't seem to have hurt you in terms of having enough children. ;)

Edited by Quill
wisenheimer remark

I dont remember the exact numbers, but i got my period back - something like month 5 with my first, 12 with my second, and 20 with my third. Its not the nursing per se, its the amount of hormones in your body. Nursing causes that but so does physical contact with your infant, so carrying, cosleeping, and frequent nursing can all contribute.

also, by the time you bleed for the first time, you already ovulated 2 weeks earlier. so its not reliable b/c . ..

For me, I think it varied because of when I dropped night feedings. With DS, we dropped night feedings at about 8 months and started my period shortly after. With DD, we dropped night feedings somewhere between 15-18 months but I didn't get my period back until I was down to only one daytime feeding, around two years.

I spent several years as a volunteer working with BF moms. The standard advice was basically feed at least 7 times a day if you do not want your cycle to return. From my experience that was definately pretty accurate-- obviously this is not absolute but more general. I always started within a month or two of this. They also need to be good feeds where things are pretty empty at end. Not just a quick drink.

With all three of my children my cycle came back around the 15-16 month mark. My oldest weaned at 3.5, second at 2.5, and third still nurses at 2.

I was told by midwifes that for breastfeeding to be birth control one would need to nurse exclusively (no bottles, pumping, formula, solids) for the first 6- 8 months at very regular intervals of 2-3 hours. I was also told not to let a baby sleep longer than 5 hours without nursing (pre solid food baby). After you start to introduce solids it's not a guarantee. It's not even a guarantee if you nurse exclusively. It has more to do with a woman's genetic makeup than anything else I think. I've known exclusive breastfeeders who started cycling within months of birth. My ex SIL nursed with pumping and giving breastmilk in a bottle and got pregnant when the baby was 4 months old and never noticed a period.

Please, someone else here tell me you don't get your fertility back while nursing! I posted on the other thread but I'm one who does not ovulate until nursing/pumping is 100% done. I can't even pump/nurse one time per day and ovulate! It seems many ladies I know IRL who would love to have babies close together do not get their fertility back while those who want to have a longer space between siblings get their cycle very soon postpartum. Ironic. :glare:

I did not start cycles....but did get pg at 11 mos pp 3 times, had one m/c. Guess I ovulated and didn't know it....

Out of curiousity--how do you know you're not ovulating? Is it just that you haven't had a period until the nursing was entirely done, so that's how you knew? Or can you tell when you ovulate or something? (I never know when I ovulate. It would be SO COOL to know when I ovulate!!)

Out of curiousity--how do you know you're not ovulating? Is it just that you haven't had a period until the nursing was entirely done, so that's how you knew? Or can you tell when you ovulate or something? (I never know when I ovulate. It would be SO COOL to know when I ovulate!!)

Some woman can actually physically feel when they ovulate. Some women can tell by their psychological state (feel more attractive, more interested in partner / men, more in the mood to be sexual). Failing this, most women can pick up the changes in cervical mucous and/or temperature if they take the time to check these things. Alternatively if you are ttc and want to be sure of the best best days, you can get an ovulation testing kit.

Some woman can actually physically feel when they ovulate. Some women can tell by their psychological state (feel more attractive, more interested in partner / men, more in the mood to be sexual). Failing this, most women can pick up the changes in cervical mucous and/or temperature if they take the time to check these things. Alternatively if you are ttc and want to be sure of the best best days, you can get an ovulation testing kit.
Here's my answer. :) I can tell which side, when it's about to happen and when it has happened. Nothing 'wakes up' at all in my body until baby/babies are fully weaned. Crazy, huh? I went from 11pm-5am without pumping from day 1 yet no cycle. No pacifiers, no formula, early sttn...but no cycle.

Wellllll.......our little ones are 15 months apart. I was nursing full-time.

I have a couple good friends that don't start until nursing is done done. Even just a couple times a day and child is almost 3. They were also getting antsy about closer spacing. My body wants to torture me and is ready to start again at less than 5 months in, maybe it knows something I do or doesn't communicate well with my brain that would be very emotionally overwhelmed with that spacing.

My cycles always start 17-18 months pp. At that point I'm still nursing frequently day & night. We co-sleep, so that helps with amennorhea. I don't wean early to make ready for the next baby, instead go with child-led weaning.

For the poster who was asking about how to know when you ovulate:

http://nfp.marquette.edu/

http://www.tcoyf.com/

I went about 9 months for 3 kids, and I have one friend who told me hers didn't return for more than a year. (She has four kids and doesn't seem to use another form birth control, and her kids are not very close together.) I have been able to tell when fertility is returning because of "egg white" cervical fluid prior to the first post-partum period. My kids nursed constantly.

I don't mean to ask too many questions, but the idea of getting my period back 4 weeks after the birth -- an older relative who didn't breastfeed told me the same thing. I was still having post partum bleeding of varying degrees at that point. I guess the length of this is more variable than I thought. Most people I know seem to be a month or more of postpartum bleeding.

*cough* It always took months to come back (fertility) even after starting my period with the first two. I've nursed until 17 months before a period and then months before fertility (super short luteal phases initially). Then I nursed until 22 months with no period and found out I was pregnant. So... yeah.... :lol: