Menu

Just for fun: Do you stalk your kids' online grades?

SKL

My kids' school uses JupiterGrades.com, where grades are posted. So far grades have been posted once (school has been in session 2+ weeks) but I've been on that site at least daily over the past week.

"New" technology seems so compelling sometimes, but I wonder if it's "healthy." My parents obviously didn't have this option, so they only heard about the really good and really bad stuff. I wonder what's better.

What about you guys? Are you stalkers or chillers? Developmentally, how old should a kid be before we back off and let them experience big consequences if they let things get too bad for too long?

Yes. But typically it is to make sure she turned in her assignments... we have been having a problem with her "forgetting". How does one forget to turn in an assignment they worked on the night before? :confused:

I don't know. We had that happen last week. I saw her do the homework (we were very focused on the "do your best" aspect of it) and it was in her folder, in her bag when she went to school. I am 100% sure of this. Maybe there is an invisible homework hoarder somewhere in the school. ;)

I was so sad for her since this was her first such experience. To get so much flak from the teacher despite having worked so hard. But hopefully learning occurred, right?

Our school started posting grades online last year, but I never had to make use of it - my boys are always eager to tell me how they did on a test or a project.

When I was in elementary school, when a teacher returned a test, every student had to take it home, have a parent sign it, and bring it back to the teacher. I actually think that's a better way to keep parents in the loop, because it ensures that every parent is checking how their child is doing. And, it might actually encourage them to go over any missed material with the child.

When I was in elementary school, when a teacher returned a test, every student had to take it home, have a parent sign it, and bring it back to the teacher. I actually think that's a better way to keep parents in the loop, because it ensures that every parent is checking how their child is doing. And, it might actually encourage them to go over any missed material with the child.

My mom's eyes would roll right out of her head with that requirement. ;)

I only stalk the class pages to look for cute photos. I am required to sign to indicate that I saw her planner which shows the assignments for the day. Other than giving her the time and space to do the work, I don't do too much nagging. By grade 3/4, I expect that she will be self-directed/paced where HW is concerned. Signing for this year is OK but I expect that requirement to be phased out over time.

I don't know. We had that happen last week. I saw her do the homework (we were very focused on the "do your best" aspect of it) and it was in her folder, in her bag when she went to school. I am 100% sure of this. Maybe there is an invisible homework hoarder somewhere in the school. ;)

I was so sad for her since this was her first such experience. To get so much flak from the teacher despite having worked so hard. But hopefully learning occurred, right?

Lesson learned hopefully? In my DD case the teacher gave her full credit even with it being 3 days late. I was upset about this b/c it isnt teaching DD the value of turning something in promptly. UGH.

The last two years DS was in middle school, his school used Teacher Ease. I was definitely a grade stalker. DS encouraged it though because he always wanted to know what his grades were. We would check together sometimes a few times a day. It actually ended up being a GOOD thing though. A few times DS would look and see that something he KNEW he had turned in was marked as missing. He would approach the teacher about it or I would send an email and all but once it turned out that the teacher had simply overlooked or misplaced it. His work was right there in an endless pile of papers. Had we not stayed on top of it, he wouldn't have gotten credit. There was also one time that I had the paper in my hand and it had a grade on it but in Teacher Ease the grade was something else. I contacted the teacher about it and she fixed it right away. She had simply put a decimal place in the wrong spot BUT it was a significant enough error that it had actually dropped DS's class grade by a whole letter.

• 1 month later...

We have proficiency grading at our local high school. My experience has been that I see the grades, panic, contact teachers and they tell me all is fine, the proficiency grading just makes it momentarily look bad. Sadly, the opposite is also true. The progress report or grades look fine and then the final grade blows up in the student's face. Please just give my old brain a letter grade. I hate playing "guess where they are really at."

My kids' school uses livegrades.com. I have become a bit obsessed with checking on my 3rd grader's scores! At midterm, he had 3 As and 4 Bs. Since then he has brought two of the Bs up to As. I am quite proud of him! :D Because this is my first time dealing with school, I believe this is a novelty-thing for me and I hope I will chill out soon.

Oh, I can also check my kindergartner's grades online. In case anyone is curious, she is getting 3 As and 1 B right now (the B is in handwriting...I'm not shocked at all!).

ETA: Should I be writing As and Bs like I did above? Or should it be A's and B's? I have a phobia of using incorrect apostrophes on this board. I like kittens too much to kill them! :tongue_smilie: