Menu

Need stories to combat Tony Jones's "Death to Homeschooling" blog post

hlee

Hi everyone,

I'm a homeschooling mom and also an occasional freelance journalist/blogger. I've been asked to write a response to a blog post by Tony Jones entitled "Death to Homeschooling." Here is his post:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tonyjones/2012/09/07/death-to-homeschooling/

I am guessing many of you are like me, and we have not chosen homeschooling in order to remove ourselves from or abdicate from being a positive influence in our communities and neighborhoods. If you feel so led, please share how homeschooling has NOT hindered you from being a missional presence in your communities, or how it has actually helped you and your family to be more missionally-minded. I'd love any stories or examples you are willing to share that I could potentially include in my response.

Thanks so much! You can post here or message me.

Best,

Helen

Edited by hlee

Hi everyone,

I'm a homeschooling mom and also an occasional freelance journalist/blogger. I've been asked to write a response to a blog post by Tony Jones entitled "Death to Homeschooling." Here is his post:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tonyjones/2012/09/07/death-to-homeschooling/

I am guessing many of you are like me, and we have not chosen homeschooling in order to remove ourselves from or abdicate from being a positive influence in our communities and neighborhoods. If you feel so led, please share how homeschooling has NOT hindered you from being a missional presence in your communities, or how it has actually helped you and your family to be more missionally-minded. I'd love any stories or examples you are willing to share that I could potentially include in my response.

Thanks so much! You can post here or message me.

Best,

Helen

I'll be thinking about which (of many) stories I could share. Meanwhile, I'll just say that Mr. Jones's blog post strikes me as more of the "homeschoolers aren't properly socialized" garbage we've all heard ad nauseum.

I'll be thinking about which (of many) stories I could share. Meanwhile, I'll just say that Mr. Jones's blog post strikes me as more of the "homeschoolers aren't properly socialized" garbage we've all heard ad nauseum.

:iagree: and without any sort of logic at all. That was a really bad piece.

There are just so many things WRONG with his article, it's hard to know where to start. Here in California, a new law was passed in July that takes effect starting Jan 2013, where gays/lesbians/transgenders/sex change/cross dressing must be taught as a positive lifestyle, this is mandated curriculum from K-12 and there is NO parent opt-out. The public school system is opposed to Biblical principles, there is another agenda here other than education, it's a fight for the minds and hearts of the children. Yes, Christians are to be salt and light, but sacrificing my children to the world's agenda is NOT the way to do it.

There are just so many things WRONG with his article, it's hard to know where to start. Here in California, a new law was passed in July that takes effect starting Jan 2013, where gays/lesbians/transgenders/sex change/cross dressing must be taught as a positive lifestyle, this is mandated curriculum from K-12 and there is NO parent opt-out. The public school system is opposed to Biblical principles, there is another agenda here other than education, it's a fight for the minds and hearts of the children. Yes, Christians are to be salt and light, but sacrificing my children to the world's agenda is NOT the way to do it.

:iagree: We're in CA, too.

ETA: I read the post and while the title is very dramatic the post is only about why the author himself isn't homeschooling his own child. There is no case as to why homeschooling as a whole should be abolished, as the title suggests. I really don't think this needs refuting. It's his personal decision and I did not see in there (besides the stupid and misleading title) him saying that other people are bad Christians for not sending their children to public school.

Also, it says he originally wrote the article in 2005. So his kid has been in ps for 7 years then. Why not ask the author how well his child has done winning souls in that environment?

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

: Also, it says he originally wrote the article in 2005. So his kid has been in ps for 7 years then. Why not ask the author how well his child has done winning souls in that environment?

Yes, great idea. It would be very interesting to hear his honest response.

Personally, having always homeschooled my kids, I have not found at all that it has stunted their mission mindedness. In fact, I think it has given me much more opportunity to train and encourage them in that mindset without having it shot down in flames before it truly gets a chance to develop. We don't live in isolation to society. My kids still play with other kids in our street giving them opportunity to do and say things that point others to God when the occasion arises. They still meet other people in the community who they are able to communicate with and influence.

About a month ago, my dd got to realize a dream that had been brewing in her for quite some time - that of holding a fund-raising dinner to raise money for Living Hope in Africa. $3700 was raised as a result of that effort. That was part of her mission mindedness in action. :001_smile:

It is unbelievably limiting to say that all believers, everywhere, must choose to engage in one specific context. Jesus commanded us to go into the world, preaching, but never, ever specified beyond that. It is downright Pharisaical for Christians to do so.

My family lived for fourteen years in an impoverished, crime-ridden, minority area of Chicago. My children played in the front yard with neighborhood kids, participated in our Block Club, and helped distribute flyers when an illegal business set up shop next door to our home. My children also assisted actively with church outreach events into our community. Each year, my children participate in Christmas outreach to our neighborhood. (They did this both when we lived there as well as in the time since we moved to another neighborhood.)

My children have several friends who are not evangelical Christians. My daughter in particular has engaged with confidence in conversations about the nature of faith and the veracity of the Bible on more than one occasion. It is a testimony to her and the strength of those friendships that the relationships have continued to be strong.

My family spent almost two weeks in Guatemala helping an infant malnutrition center, a pediatric wheelchair ministry, a transitional group home for young women, and distributing soup to the homeless. My daughter and my husband also went, just this past summer, to an orphanage in Mexico where they worked hard with repairs, gardening, child care, cooking and cleaning, as well as outreach in the local prison.

My daughter spent two months this summer as summer intern for a local state representative. She not only assisted him, but she also recruited and organized a group of local teenagers to help distribute constituent surveys.

There is nothing antisocial about the way my homeschooling family chooses to live. On the contrary, living with our faith on display and in action is a daily habit for us. There is no need to limit that to one type of educational context.

Well, though his post is ridiculous, and not even a coherent or sound argument, you writing a rebuttal is the opportunity to show others how well homeschooling CAN work.

So.

1. To put your kid out there and expect them to be a missionary is a big expectation for kids. Let's face it, they have to be amazingly grounded in their own faith, and have a good portion of theology down pat to be able to even answer anyone's questions. Let me get back to you after I ask my dad ain't gonna cut it.

2. He is assuming school is the ONLY place a kid can share their faith. My children are able to become involved in MORE church/public ministries because they have more time to themselves. We are Catholic, and my kids are a part of Squires, Squirettes, (both of which center on community service) we help at the food pantry, we give to the thrift store, we help a family at a farm, the boys are in Scouts.

3. He is assuming that the child will have the ability to overcome the negative aspects/socialization of school.

4. He is abdicating the raising of his child to a government system, not the child's first teacher, the parents, and are those teachers able to instill the same morals a parent would?

5. He is assuming that the nest of home isn't needed to foster discipleship, and that the lessons of home (charity) aren't worth learning at home.

6. He is assuming that the education a school can give is worth the cost of that child's ability to be missional in that environment.

I may have more, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Personally, having always homeschooled my kids, I have not found at all that it has stunted their mission mindedness. In fact, I think it has given me much more opportunity to train and encourage them in that mindset without having it shot down in flames before it truly gets a chance to develop. We don't live in isolation to society. My kids still play with other kids in our street giving them opportunity to do and say things that point others to God when the occasion arises. They still meet other people in the community who they are able to communicate with and influence.

Same situation here! Homeschooling allowed my kids to absorb our family's values while they were young and impressionable, rather than being negatively influenced by values with which we disagree.

ER participated in church and community projects as a youngster and held a part-time job in our local prosecutor's office where he was able to observe up close the problems that can result from compromising one's values. Then, as a college student, he was able to maintain his integrity throughout his entire college career. Far from being a social outcast, he was "popular" enough to be elected as the junior class representative. He developed a reputation for being steadfast in his faith, and the one to whom others would come if they had problems and needed to talk. He also made good grades and graduated with honors this past May.

A high school senior, EK also participates in church and community projects. A few of her many activities in our community include volunteering for our local pregnancy center by doing computer work and working as a server at the annual fundraising banquet, serving as director's assistant for weekly drama classes at our local children's theater, and singing at churches either as part of a choir or by herself. She also paticipates in annual mission trips through our church and our denomination. She loves to write, and she shares her faith by praying for and ministering to others on an online prayer request wiki that she started a few years ago. Homeschooling definitely enabled her to grow in her faith so that she could do all of these things.

Well, though his post is ridiculous, and not even a coherent or sound argument, you writing a rebuttal is the opportunity to show others how well homeschooling CAN work.

So.

1. To put your kid out there and expect them to be a missionary is a big expectation for kids. Let's face it, they have to be amazingly grounded in their own faith, and have a good portion of theology down pat to be able to even answer anyone's questions. Let me get back to you after I ask my dad ain't gonna cut it.

2. He is assuming school is the ONLY place a kid can share their faith. My children are able to become involved in MORE church/public ministries because they have more time to themselves. We are Catholic, and my kids are a part of Squires, Squirettes, (both of which center on community service) we help at the food pantry, we give to the thrift store, we help a family at a farm, the boys are in Scouts.

3. He is assuming that the child will have the ability to overcome the negative aspects/socialization of school.

4. He is abdicating the raising of his child to a government system, not the child's first teacher, the parents, and are those teachers able to instill the same morals a parent would?

5. He is assuming that the nest of home isn't needed to foster discipleship, and that the lessons of home (charity) aren't worth learning at home.

6. He is assuming that the education a school can give is worth the cost of that child's ability to be missional in that environment.

:iagree: Especially with #1. That was the first thought that popped into my head.

So.

You make some very, very good points here. :iagree:

This article is so naive and narrow. My suspicion is that the author knows very little about homeschooling and alternative education.

It assumes that public school is "society" and everything else is not? He fails to understand that there are many forms of education, and they all represent various parts of society as a whole. Whether a family does the public school thing does not determine whether or not they are engage with the culture.

In our community, "Christian" homeschoolers are just one small slice of the home schooling/alternative education community. The author should check out these boards for a great example of that! I've followed some discussions here about faith, with people of MANY faiths, that I have NEVER experienced elsewhere.:001_smile:

Whether or not a family is a positive force in their community is NOT determined by the type of education they choose for their children.

5yo's are not mature enough to be missionaries. Most 5yo's have a 5yo level understanding of the Bible and have not made any personal decisions about their faith just yet. You canNOT be a missionary withOUT a personal, passionate faith. The main idea is based on a faulty assumption...I'd go for that one.

5yo's are not mature enough to withstand the indoctrination from the secular sphere, let alone differences in theology. (See above...they don't know the Bible, so how can they defend it?) Chances are greater that YOUR child will be the one "mission-ized" rather than the one " on mission."

And my #1 - The child's education is about *THE CHILD*!!!! Society benefits nothing by reducing a child's education to "what is best for society." That is best for nobody. How many great people through history have been homeschooled or privately tutored? (Make a list for him, including their contributions to Society.)

5yo's are not mature enough to be missionaries. Most 5yo's have a 5yo level understanding of the Bible and have not made any personal decisions about their faith just yet. You canNOT be a missionary withOUT a personal, passionate faith. The main idea is based on a faulty assumption...I'd go for that one.

5yo's are not mature enough to withstand the indoctrination from the secular sphere, let alone differences in theology. (See above...they don't know the Bible, so how can they defend it?) Chances are greater that YOUR child will be the one "mission-ized" rather than the one " on mission."

And my #1 - The child's education is about *THE CHILD*!!!! Society benefits nothing by reducing a child's education to "what is best for society." That is best for nobody. How many great people through history have been homeschooled or privately tutored? (Make a list for him, including their contributions to Society.)

:iagree:

Well, to put it very bluntly, I can't believe anyone would actually read anything he ever writes. Seriously, I was just laughing out how incredibly stupid his article is. I tried public school for my girls. It stunk. My oldest was bored, by younger one was overwhelmed with a huge kindergarten class, kids swearing, the teacher in way over her eyeballs, and only 2 parents able to volunteer (me being one of them). I could go on and on. (Oh, this was a nice wealthy suburb school). I was actually advised by teacher friends and my kid's pediatrician to homeschool my kids. Believe it or not.

The next thing he is totally missing is that now we are able to be more involved with "society" because we have more time to do that.

I was choking on his talk of "Jesus followers" etc and school. Does he not realize that you can't talk about God in school?! Christmas? Oh, don't ever say that word.

Plus, let's look at the obvious. It is his oldest child he is talking about, he is just plain clueless as a parent.

Enough said, he doesn't deserve any more of my time.

What about the salvation of our own kids or their own faith walk? The best faith questions usually come during the day when they would normally be at school. I find the younger two especially singing praise songs during the day - which they wouldn't or couldn't at school. Their faith is growing the most during those hours when they would be in an environment hostile to Christianity (especially in our very liberal town). I can't imagine they would even ponder those deep questions when they get home exhausted after a long day at school.

We adopted dd 3 years ago. I truly believe that her big brothers helped her adjust better than I ever could have. They were not coming in and out of her life daily, but were there with her, loving her despite her issues. Today, my youngest ds and her are the best of friends. A good question to ask is what percentage of homeschoolers adopt children vs. the general public. I'll wonder if the percentage is a lot higher.

Beth

He sounds very legalistic in his view of Christianity to begin with so, he is going have a very twisted view of what a Christian "should or shouldn't do." (I think) when you "argue" a point, one must realize that underlying each side's points of view, is a basic set of assumptions.

It sounds like his basic assumption views his children as part of the "it takes a village" crowd and his children belong to society (there was mention of the social contract). I, on the other hand, have a basic assumption that my responsibilities (and rights) as a parent are given to me by God and that responsibility is a priority above all else.

My personal mission field begins with my children. They don't "pop out" seasoned, veteran disciples of Christ. It takes time, effort, energy, relationship, and faith on my part to develop that. That right there seems to be reason why homeschooling (in a missional mindset) could be considered a responsibility.

His theory doesn't worry me. Since we're a non Christian family, I'm doing the schools a favor by keeping my dirty heathen kiddos away from the holy little angels who go to school :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, that bloke sounds slightly unbalanced to me. Since when do parents send kids to school purely as a service to the school / other kids? And if schools are indeed spiritually bankrupt places in need of a mission, wouldn't it make more sense to educate your kids at home so that they are equipped with both a good education and a strong faith to become future leaders who can change things for the better?

Edited by Hotdrink

His theory doesn't worry me. Since we're a non Christian family, I'm doing the schools a favor by keeping my dirty heathen kiddos away from the holy little angels who go to school :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, that bloke sounds a slightly unbalanced to me. Since when do parents send kids to school purely as a service to the school / other kids? And if schools are indeed spiritually bankrupt places in need of a mission, wouldn't it make more sense to educate your kids at home so that they are equipped with both a good education and a strong faith to become future leaders who can change things for the better?

That's hilarious.

I don't think that the article deserves a response, but he seems to predicate his argument on the assumption that parents ONLY homeschool for religious reasons (or to shield kids from the secular teachings of public school). We obviously know that is not the case!

Quote from the blog:

"In his seminal work on education, Democracy and Education (1916), John Dewey made this point. In an increasingly industrial/technological society, Dewey argued, we learn in order that we may be able to learn. In earlier times, one could learn what it means to be a blacksmith, for instance, by apprenticing under a blacksmith; by the end of the apprenticeship, one had learned pretty much all there is to know about making the metal glow red hot, pounding it into a horseshoe, and sticking it into the water (remember seeing that on an elementary school field trip?).

But things change too fast now for that kind of result-oriented education. Now we must learn how to learn so that we can adapt to our ever-changing environment (ever tried to teach your parent or grandparent to use a computer or an iPod?)."

I am surprised that no one here has taken an issue with the references to John Dewey. One of the main reasons the government school system delivers such poor quality education is that it wholehearted adopted the theories of John Dewey. Read The Knolwedge Deficit (E.D. Hirsch) and you will understand much of the failure of the government schools and how to go back to a more effective educational philosophy.

Learning core knowledge and content is the foundation of a quality education, results in high reading comprehension, produces truly literate citizens, etc. One of the main problems with the government system is that they have largely abandoned core knowledge and exchanged it with the theory that they only thing kids really need to learn is how to learn.

Some Christians may withdraw from society, but that is not primarily a result of which education they choose for their kids. I know many public school families who are extremely isolated. I also know many homeschool families (including my own) who consistently serve their communities and reach out to share Jesus. Whether or not one is missional really does not depend on where he chooses to educate his children.

We kept dd and oldest ds home. They found their mission field right here, witnessing to their brother.

I find more kids are conformed to the public school world by being there--they are being "evangelized" by the culture there, instead of influencing it for Christ.

It's something I need to teach/correct/whatever, every day dd comes home from school. We are constantly discussing worldview.

I am surprised that no one here has taken an issue with the references to John Dewey. One of the main reasons the government school system delivers such poor quality education is that it wholehearted adopted the theories of John Dewey..

Yes. Agreed. I actually did take issue with it in my head but didn't go so far as to include it in my response. Glad you did ;)

Seriously, that bloke sounds a slightly unbalanced to me. Since when do parents send kids to school purely as a service to the school / other kids? And if schools are indeed spiritually bankrupt places in need of a mission, wouldn't it make more sense to educate your kids at home so that they are equipped with both a good education and a strong faith to become future leaders who can change things for the better?

Well said. :001_smile:

:iagree: not to mention the fact that you're not supposed to be evangelizing at public school anyway.

I believe God entrusted me with my children to raise them to the best of my ability, not in order to sacrifice them to the state. They will have plenty of time for saving the world when they have built a firm foundation in their academics and their faith. For now, they're mine to mold, not my tools with which to mold others.

No no!! We non-Christians need to send our children to public school so his little mini-missionaries can teach them about Jesus! Otherwise they might never find out!

Quote from the blog:

"In his seminal work on education, Democracy and Education (1916), John Dewey made this point. In an increasingly industrial/technological society, Dewey argued, we learn in order that we may be able to learn. In earlier times, one could learn what it means to be a blacksmith, for instance, by apprenticing under a blacksmith; by the end of the apprenticeship, one had learned pretty much all there is to know about making the metal glow red hot, pounding it into a horseshoe, and sticking it into the water (remember seeing that on an elementary school field trip?).

But things change too fast now for that kind of result-oriented education. Now we must learn how to learn so that we can adapt to our ever-changing environment (ever tried to teach your parent or grandparent to use a computer or an iPod?)."

I am surprised that no one here has taken an issue with the references to John Dewey. One of the main reasons the government school system delivers such poor quality education is that it wholehearted adopted the theories of John Dewey. Read The Knolwedge Deficit (E.D. Hirsch) and you will understand much of the failure of the government schools and how to go back to a more effective educational philosophy.

Learning core knowledge and content is the foundation of a quality education, results in high reading comprehension, produces truly literate citizens, etc. One of the main problems with the government system is that they have largely abandoned core knowledge and exchanged it with the theory that they only thing kids really need to learn is how to learn.

Some Christians may withdraw from society, but that is not primarily a result of which education they choose for their kids. I know many public school families who are extremely isolated. I also know many homeschool families (including my own) who consistently serve their communities and reach out to share Jesus. Whether or not one is missional really does not depend on where he chooses to educate his children.

Yeah, you are right. I think that's why I really thought the whole article bupkis- he really hadn't thought/read much about the whole homeschool/Dewey thing.

I am glad you brought it up.

We’ve had several people IRL use a similar argument with us as to why we shouldn’t homeschool.

I think the biggest problem with this argument is that it assumes that all Christians who homeschool then choose to isolate themselves and only hang out with other Christian homeschoolers. I think he’s very naive about the homeschool community, it is diverse and there are many many people who homeschool who are not Christians. It also assumes that as a homeschooler you are not going to be involved in other community activities. We do swimming and baseball and Scouts and all give us a change to interact with the community, Christians and non-Christians alike.

ETA: On a deeper level what bothers me about this argument is the idea that in order to be a “good” Christian you have to live one way. I am bothered by those who imply you can only be a good Christian if you homeschool. And bothered by those who think that to be a “good” Christian that you can’t homeschool.

Edited by Alice

ETA: On a deeper level what bothers me about this argument is the idea that in order to be a “good” Christian you have to live one way. I am bothered by those who imply you can only be a good Christian if you homeschool. And bothered by those who think that to be a “good” Christian that you can’t homeschool.

Oh no, you can't possibly have different Christian families who feel called to do different things! They must all do what Tony Jones wants! Everyone is entitled to Tony's opinion! :smash:

You seriously have to respond to that? That article is one of the most illogical and flawed I've ever heard against homeschooling. I can't believe he equates putting my children in ps with my obligation to pay taxes. He's seriously got a screw loose.

Another problem I have with his "missional" argument is that children (at least my children) are not spiritually mature enough to do any good in a ps environment. We are a Christian/Protestant family and even in our own neighborhood, with families who don't go to church, are Catholic, are Muslim, they don't do well at all. As a family we participate in the community sports program, which I personally believe is the best way for children to be a light. Now, I know some children are spiritually mature, but I sure wasn't. I picked up all my peers' bad habits in ps, and that's what my kids probably would do, too.

Edited by KrissiK

I see you market yourself as a "Missional Mom" and his idea that being missional means you must put your kids in public school flies in the face of what you have chosen to do, so I suppose that is why you feel a need to respond to his blog.

I know a lot of people who feel the way he does - who choose to send their kids to the local public schools in order to be an active part of local society and be a witness in the local community through relationships through the schools. I don't think they generally disagree with homeschooling as strongly as he does, but I don't know because I don't ask and I'm homeschooling! :)

I think when anyone decides to tell everyone a specifc thing or list of things that must be done to honor God, and that list isn't explicitly in the Bible (such as the fruit of the spirit), things get dicey. It's fine by me that he has this opinion for his own life and family, and if that is where God has called him and his family, I am not going to say it isn't true. I disagree with him expecting everyone else to be called to the same life.

Blanket statements may be cozy to make, but they rarely cover the whole bed of truth. :)

This was my first thought. Neither of my DDs are committed followers of Christ (yet). They cannot be missional (yet).

I love how you phrased that. Totally agree.

We’ve had several people IRL use a similar argument with us as to why we shouldn’t homeschool.

I think the biggest problem with this argument is that it assumes that all Christians who homeschool then choose to isolate themselves and only hang out with other Christian homeschoolers. I think he’s very naive about the homeschool community, it is diverse and there are many many people who homeschool who are not Christians. It also assumes that as a homeschooler you are not going to be involved in other community activities. We do swimming and baseball and Scouts and all give us a change to interact with the community, Christians and non-Christians alike.

My family is Protestant. In our homeschool group we have HS parents who are Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Buddhist, Unitarian, agnostic. I wish people who criticize homeschooling would spend some actual time within the homeschooling community... or just on this forum :)

So.

Yes, all this.

The propaganda my high school aged child faced in public charter school was appalling, just appalling. I thought she was old enough and grounded enough not to buy into it, having an extraordinarily high IQ, and having a very strong family background. I was wrong. High IQ does not equal Adult judgment. Mistake.

Here in California, a new law was passed in July that takes effect starting Jan 2013, where gays/lesbians/transgenders/sex change/cross dressing must be taught as a positive lifestyle, this is mandated curriculum from K-12 and there is NO parent opt-out.

From CNN:

California law already requires state schools to teach about the contributions of Native Americans, African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and Asian-Americans, among other groups.

"Today we are making history in California by ensuring that our textbooks and instructional materials no longer exclude the contributions of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) Americans," Sen. Leno said in a statement.

Amazing how the writer attempts to equate these things. So....teaching about the sexual behavior of those who have made contributions is now considered equally important as teaching about the actual contributions of Pocahontas, or Booker T. Washington, or Quetzalcoatl, or Ellison Onizuka ?

Ridiculous. Why can't it just be that X made a speech or wrote a book or made a discovery? Not X, whom you all should know sleeps with someone of the same gender, made a speech, wrote a book, or made a discovery?

I had a lesbian gym teacher, I now know, but I certainly didn't know then, as it should be. It was none of my business and not relevant to her job because she kept it irrelevant.

Edited by TranquilMind

Amazing how the writer attempts to equate these things. So....teaching about the sexual behavior of those who have made contributions is now considered equally important as teaching about the actual contributions of Pocahontas, or Booker T. Washington, or Quetzalcoatl, or Ellison Onizuka ?

Ridiculous. Why can't it just be that X made a speech or wrote a book or made a discovery? Not X, whom you all should know sleeps with someone of the same gender, made a speech, wrote a book, or made a discovery?

I had a lesbian gym teacher, I now know, but I certainly didn't know then, as it should be. It was none of my business and not relevant to her job because she kept it irrelevant.

:iagree:

Yes, I cannot picture how this will play out at all. I read that they won't get new books until 2015, my family is in CA I'll have to ask them about this but most parents don;t know what exactly is taught/discussed at school:(

I think expecting kids to go be "salt and light" at a young age is an unfair expectation. Yes, they can share their faith in Jesus, but to expect them to be the one (or two or three) witness in a school is asking a bit much. I do pray that my children will continue to be mission-minded, but I don't expect them to take that on ALONE at this point in their lives.

Furthermore, why should we sacrifice our children for the sake of society? As a family we can reach out to society together just as well, if not better, than expecting my children to go at it alone.

ETA: I just looked at pp and saw that some of this was said before . . . and better than me. :)

Edited by 3Blessings
Saw pp

It sounds like his basic assumption views his children as part of the "it takes a village" crowd and his children belong to society (there was mention of the social contract). I, on the other hand, have a basic assumption that my responsibilities (and rights) as a parent are given to me by God and that responsibility is a priority above all else.

My personal mission field begins with my children. They don't "pop out" seasoned, veteran disciples of Christ. It takes time, effort, energy, relationship, and faith on my part to develop that. That right there seems to be reason why homeschooling (in a missional mindset) could be considered a responsibility.

This struck me as well. I went & peeked at John Dewey's Wikipedia entry, and he's a progressive liberal thinker - and progressivism & liberalism are hostile to the traditional family. (The previously mentioned CA rules about gays in the curriculum are a great example of that hostility.)

I also strongly agree about a 5yo not being ready to be a missionary. There's just too much that they have to learn, and they aren't equipped to be able to identify and move past the secular humanistic indoctrination that is so basic to public education. I am amazed at dismayed at some of the things that the teens and young adults coming out of our well-respected local school are saying, and the causes they are taking up or sympathetic to. They are unable to see the basic incompatibility of these things with the faith that we share. And I'm talking about the children of good good families who work hard at teaching their kids, show up to church each week, do family devotions, and the whole thing. And it's no wonder; they've been spending more time at school than at home (not counting sleeping), and much of the time they've been at home they've been doing more school work! 8 hours of instruction, plus bus time, plus homework, plus even a moderate amount of extra curriculars doesn't leave a lot of time for teaching the faith.

And, even if a 5yo - or any age kid - does manage to have a successful missionary experience with another kid, are the other parents going to go along with it? I have personally known a number of teens who wanted to convert, but their parents wouldn't have it. In the one case where she joined anyhow, she eventually left because of active opposition at home. I'm not saying that those kids should be left to the dogs, but when I think about it in terms of risk to my kids vs. potential reward, it's not looking like a good risk at all. And I think that the odds of that sort of missionary moment happening in a non-school activity where talk of God isn't banned is much more fertile ground for our efforts.