Menu

Who conceived while nursing?

2x. My kids were each in the range of 2-2.5 when I conceived, but still nursing. I don't get my cycles back until they are about 2 though, as all 3 of mine have been frequent night nursers and we coslept. With my 2nd, I had only had one bleeding episode and it was a breakthrough bleed that lasted a few weeks, not a normal cycle. I never got a true warning period and got pg. I was hoping metformin would work to bring back more regular cycles for me without needing to do infertility drugs again; I was annoyed it hadn't, took a pregnancy test before inducing a period with meds, and it was positive. That solved that problem!

I went through infertility treatments to have my first, the 2nd and 3rd were conceived without fertility drugs and while still nursing. I was taking metformin (insulin sensitizing drug used frequently with PCOS; tends to regulate hormones by regulating insulin levels) and LCing.

eta: both subsequent pregnancies were singletons.

Edited by Momof3littles

Me too. It was a very, very difficult period of life for us. I conceived on my 2nd post-partum cycle when my baby was 9 months old. I went through the first trimester with a walking <1yo, two other kids aged 5yo and 3yo, and a dh in Iraq. I do not wish to relive that year ever again.

I conceived 1 DD when nursling was 1 yr old, but not nursing much.

Conceived another DD when nursling was ~15 months old, still nursing a fair amount.

And I've had countless chemicals while nursing my DD almost 1, but none of those pregnancies "stuck." Not sure if you'd want to count those.

I get my period back immediately post partum despite EBF/ no pacis/ no bottles/ no early introduction of solids etc.. But I don't seem to be able to carry a pregnancy until the nursling is eating a significant amount of solids.

I conceived our dd when I was nursing ds1. He was 5 months old and not on solids at all yet. My mom conceived my twin little brothers while nursing my little sister. My sister was 8 months old though and eating solids and sleeping through the night.

I conceived my son when DD was 4-5 months old. We'd had a marvelous time nursing once we got established and then one morning, it just HURT and I found myself thinking, "I hate you, baby!" I called my doctor in an outright panic and he demanded I take a pregnancy test right away. So I sat on the toilet with my DD on a towel next to me an POSd while my OB waited. It didn't even take it until the pee reached the other side completely before that giant + appeared. I was almost through my first trimester!!

I was completely shocked. I had been told I was sterile and there I was with 2 babies in less than 2 years. :D

Me too. It was a very, very difficult period of life for us. I conceived on my 2nd post-partum cycle when my baby was 9 months old. I went through the first trimester with a walking <1yo, two other kids aged 5yo and 3yo, and a dh in Iraq. I do not wish to relive that year ever again.

Also....after this, we abstained from baby #2's birth until baby #1 was 27 months old. We could not have handled 3 under 3yo. :banghead:

Every time except the first and after a stillbirth. BUT I am always cycling again and I know I am fertile. They weren't surprises. Our kids are between 18 months and 3 years apart. So babies have been 9 months to 2ish but I nurse for 2-3 years.

My cycles come back between 9 and 13 months now(6 after first 2) but I dont always conceive right away.

Twice while exclusively nursing and planned pregnancy. Both of my "sets" are 16 months and a week apart. I bf until my baby was a yr old and self weaned in the second trimester. I delay solids until at least 10 months. Some have been closer to 12 months. All single pregnancies and births.

I conceived while nursing my singleton when she was 6 months, I had just started her on a little cereal at the time. However, I had been having periods since 2 months post-partum.

The resulting pregnancy turned out to be fraternal twins.

I also have PCOS and had difficulty conceiving the first time around.

I should NOT have opened this thread! I'm one who thrives on having dc closer together (13 months apart is my ideal), never gives a paci, does not nurse on demand, never nurses at night past 6 weeks or so (with the twins I never nursed at night at all), and can get down to one - yes, ONE - pumping/nursing session every three days and still not get AF until I am not nursing/pumping at all! I'd take returned fertility even while nursing in a heartbeat!

I have tried to conceive both times, but couldn't ovulate while nursing my first -- I weaned her completely at 20 months and conceived a few months later.

I am still nursing dd#2 at 20 months, but only a few times a day-- I got pregnant in July with an ectopic pregnancy (so a m/c).

Eta: we never used bottles or pacifiers at all, no baby sitters while nursing, etc