Menu

Ok I have one more baby naming question

I promise it's the last one. :D

Let's say you have a son named Ethan Lawrence (I don't). You always use the name Ethan and the only time Lawrence comes up is one official paperwork or if someone asks what his middle name is (which is rarely to never).

Lawrence goes really well with the rest of your kids' names and fits the same "theme". Say you and your dh chose Lawrence because you LOVE the name and dh was ok with it but only as a middle name. You knew it was the only way you'd get to use it so you gave your son the middle name Lawrence. Now, many years later, your dh actually likes the name enough for a first name. :glare:

How weird is it to name another baby Lawrence?

No, I wouldn't re-use a middle name as a first name for a subsequent child unless I had some really compelling reason to (like it was my brother's name and he died a hero's death or something).

Our DS' middle name was originally going to be his first name, but DH and I couldn't agree on the spelling. I was okay with using the spelling DH liked as a middle name, so we chose another first name.

Please don't. Ds has the same middle name as his cousin, his uncle, and both grandfathers. I only agreed to use it if we used my dad's spelling of the name. It isn't a name I would have chosen for him and there are already too many people in the family w/ that name. I hate it. Ds hates it. I would think both of your boys would possibly feel cheated. I can see the younger one feeling like he wasn't special enough to have his own name, and the older feeling like maybe you took part of his name away to give to his brother, kwim? Of course, lif they really like each other, they might think it's cool.

I think that if you're just considering it because you like the name then I would try to find another, however if the name has some family significance then I would go ahead. My sister gave her first son two family names because they really thought they would have only one child, but when son number two (surprise!) came along they regretted not "saving" a name. Years later she says she still wishes they would have just used ds1's middle as ds2's first since it is a special name and, like you said, so few people in life know the middle name.

I once knew a family that named their son Tailor Zachary, but by the time the little guy was a few months old everyone called him Zach. So he went by T. Zachary on all official paperwork and when little sister was born four year later they named her Taylor Ann.

I once knew a family with three boys, whose names were (names changed):

James Michael

Michael Andrew

Andrew Samuel

I always thought it was kind of neat as a kid. But, I will admit it's a little strange.

That is kind of cool.

I wouldn't think Jane's scenario is weird, just different.

If I wanted to use the name, I would do it. One of my daughters has the feminine version of my son's first name as her middle name. Neither are common at all, but my daughter's middle name came from my husband's grandmother's name. My son's first name is a family name on my side. I like them both, but I'm certain a couple family members think the names are a bit off. My husband's aunt said something about "saddling" our daughter with her middle name, but has wisely restrained herself from commenting about my son's name.

Could you find a version of the original name that you and dh like? My dh has three sisters with 3 different forms of Mary: Mary, Marie and Maura. (And yes, they are Catholic) :D There are a lot of cousins and aunts with the name Mary, too. Just goes with the culture. I believe traditional French and Jewish families have certain religious names used multiple times in families.

Edited by wintermom

Hmmm. My cousins (yes, plural -- two different cousins w/their respective wives) did something similar. The third son (or was it fourth?) was named the same name as a previous son's middle name. It may have been a combination of the first two sons' middle names . . .

I don't think it's an issue since the given names are all distinctive.

We have several families with lots of boys. :D

Please don't. Ds has the same middle name as his cousin, his uncle, and both grandfathers. I only agreed to use it if we used my dad's spelling of the name. It isn't a name I would have chosen for him and there are already too many people in the family w/ that name. I hate it. Ds hates it. I would think both of your boys would possibly feel cheated. I can see the younger one feeling like he wasn't special enough to have his own name, and the older feeling like maybe you took part of his name away to give to his brother, kwim? Of course, lif they really like each other, they might think it's cool.

:iagree: