Menu

It is almost Banned Books Week!

At my house, we celebrate by reading them. Do you all have any plans? I am always completely gobsmacked by the titles on the list. I have never read Brave New World so I think I will seize the opportunity. My youngest has never read To Kill A Mockingbird! I also plan to speak with a local librarian to find out which books are threatened here. My family got to read The Things They Carried a few years back that way. :D

At my house, we celebrate by reading them. Do you all have any plans? I am always completely gobsmacked by the titles on the list. I have never read Brave New World so I think I will seize the opportunity. My youngest has never read To Kill A Mockingbird! I also plan to speak with a local librarian to find out which books are threatened here. My family got to read The Things They Carried a few years back that way. :D

:ack2: I had to read this my senior year in high school. I did not care for it.

I made a list of banned books for the 8/8/8 reading challenge a while back. I only read a couple from the list. I didn't use this list but it has the same books on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_commonly_challenged_books_in_the_United_States

I read James and the Giant Peach, the Harry Potter series, and attempted to read The Handmaid's Tale (hated it...should be banned LOL).

Here is another link

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics

I only read "tame" banned books :lol: Maybe why I hated The Handmaid's Tale.

I'm in charge of organizing BBW at work (a community college library). Has anyone got a great theme slogan? Last year we had pins and posters that said "The worst thing about censorship is XXXXXX" (as in, the reason had been censored--it made sense in the picture). This year we're thinking we might do a flamey book-burning kind of decor, so if you have a good slogan for that, I will be grateful forever.

We are going to have books wrapped in brown paper scattered all over the library. Each book gets labeled with the title, author, etc. and reason it was challenged or banned.

We'll use this year's new art for pins and posters. I love the art this year, way better than the last couple of years! (Except we're not allowed to use the Forbidden one, because my superior thinks it looks like For Biden, which, honestly, it does.)

Also! Here is something all homeschoolers can do! The Virtual Read-Out is open to everyone. Film yourself reading a minute or so from a banned book. Tell why you think that book is important. Upload it to the dedicated youtube channel. Ta-da!

(Please invent a slogan for me! WTMers are geniuses at that!)

With dh being a Librarian and all...we celebrate with a big ole stack of banned books!

Sometimes looking over the list I just shake my head...read most of the"classics" in highschool. Was not offended but gah! SO. INCREDIBLY. DEPRESSING. AND.BORING!

Can we please have some fun with our literature. Thats why I love Sherman Alexie's work (banned 2011 and 2010) ...some humor mixed up with all the despair please ;)

:iagree: we are loving the lists, though, and enjoying seeing how they change over the years and how many remain on the list!

Thanks to the sweet soul who posted the ala link!

The fun begins!

I must have evil taste in books, because I love almost all the 'banned' books I've read. I think the only controversial one I didn't really care for was Satanic Verses.

Am I the only person who finds it strange that To Kill a Mockingbird is challenged for the reason of... racism? Did they expect him to write a book with racial inequality as one of its major themes, and not depict any racism?

Hotdrink, you will feel much better if you remember that challenges don't have to make sense. :) Really, it only takes a few people willing to make a fuss to challenge a book.

There's a

and challenged it on the grounds that it talked badly about our brave firefighters. Also it talked about burning the Bible.

I love the point about the challenges not having to necessarily make sense. The arrogance of a group or an individual to need to censor for everyone, not simply their child, is stupefying. I can respect someone who doesn't want their child to read a book for one reason or another, but does it really need to come off the shelves? Banned books week is just fantastic.

I read Brave New World as required reading in high school, and I hated it. I saw the point that was being made, but I just couldn't get past some of the things in it. One scene in particular I can't to this day forget, and I feel like it honestly took some of my innocence away.