Menu

I want to stick my head in the sand - but what if I miss something?!

SorrelZG

Let me start by saying, school is fine. I could use more "get up and go" but I don't expect to find that in a book (or could I?).

And yet ..

I'm highly distracted by all the options I'm not choosing (today) - and I'm mostly not talking about the forum but my own bookshelves. So many methods, so many styles, so many guides and how-tos and schedules and books and subjects.

Due to an upcoming big move, I've been paring down books and some of this process has been painless and liberating, some I've had to get rid of the way one takes off a band-aid, but some are like leeches and others have me bedazzled. For instance, I have no desire for a grammar program for my six year old who is already getting plenty of grammar from his Latin and writing to satisfy us both but I can't get rid of First Language Lessons or R&S English 2. They are both irresistibly beautiful to me in their own ways. How utterly absurd is that?! I've taken to hiding books from myself in an attempt to have my cake and eat it too. I always end up wanting (however briefly) to use them again at which point I'm glad I didn't get rid of them but I'm still ultimately vexed by having my hands full of options but only having time to really do one well but never able to make that commitment.

The ghost of What If..? haunts me. What if I don't read up thoroughly on every method available and then miss something key to my child's joy in growing up and success as an adult? Sure, we're content. But what if it's only because we're ignorant? What if I get rid of something and then find myself in a situation where I can't afford to get it back but have realized it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me and I blew it because I didn't recognize it at the time? Meanwhile, suitcases are limited, postage (with necessary insurance) is expensive and The Book Depository doesn't ship where we're headed.

I have several verses of scripture popping into my head related to anxiety and trust but I need someone to toss cold water on my head and speak sense into it .. just walk me through this.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same staring at my wall-to-wall Billies (Ikea) covered in curriculum (although I do have 4 children).

I do know that my feelings come from issues with control and perfection. You are not in control. At some point (and I saw reference to scriptures) you have to realize, ultimately, the success of your children's education is up to God. He will use whatever resources, experiences, and life you give your children to shape them- whether "perfect" and "complete" or not. My 2 cents.

Thank-you for the compassion, ladies.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same staring at my wall-to-wall Billies (Ikea) covered in curriculum (although I do have 4 children).

I do know that my feelings come from issues with control and perfection. You are not in control. At some point (and I saw reference to scriptures) you have to realize, ultimately, the success of your children's education is up to God. He will use whatever resources, experiences, and life you give your children to shape them- whether "perfect" and "complete" or not. My 2 cents.

Your finger is right on the pulse and your two cents is a priceless reminder.

I use a different curricula every few years with the next kid in that age group, the older one is in the room so he gets the exposure too. ;) I also have the kids read some of the curricula as their independent reading. My DD may not remember our first grade history book that I read when she was 4, so I'm having her read it as her independent reading now.

I use a different curricula every few years with the next kid in that age group, the older one is in the room so he gets the exposure too. ;) I also have the kids read some of the curricula as their independent reading. My DD may not remember our first grade history book that I read when she was 4, so I'm having her read it as her independent reading now.

Great ideas!

Ok, I just realized your concern is because you're moving. I would draw a firm line in the sand and sell off anything that can be gotten as a pdf. Then I would scan anything you love that isn't pdf and leave the hard copies with Granny while you move. Taking books you love to a new country is just a distraction from the pleasure of all the NEW things there. Just leave 'em behind.

Well, honestly, even if we weren't preparing to move, I'd still have my vexation to deal with. :) The move is ultimately a blessing because it's forcing me to draw a line in the sand regarding books and methods. You would think being able to conveniently buy whatever I wanted (within reason) whenever I wanted would be a blessing but frankly, it just hasn't been.

So .. can I really scan stuff without violating copyright? I had a line up of stuff to scan until DH asked me about the copyright being an issue at which point I shot an email to a publisher whom I haven't heard back from in a month which left me in somewhat of a limbo state on this project. Anything that I can get in PDF or Kindle is definitely being traded but plenty can't be so I need to investigate this more and/or prepare to say my farewell to these darlings.

I'm not quite sure what you meant about not taking beloved books because due to the distraction they cause. We can't get them there and I need to go on educating my children in a literature rich environment. I did suggest to DH that perhaps I could make a rule to get rid of any curriculum for which I was prone to have an inordinate affection. I definitely do not need the distraction of superfluous curricula.

Your kids are aged 6 and down? I found that the decisions were the most difficult during the first few years of homeschooling, because I did not really know my teaching style or my kids' learning styles. Pay attention for the next few years, try out some differing things, expect to waste some money, but in the end you will come out the other side of this uncertainty/insecurity. You will KNOW what is right for you, and then the purchasing becomes easier.

Ruth in NZ

Let me start by saying, school is fine. I could use more "get up and go" but I don't expect to find that in a book (or could I?).

And yet ..

I'm highly distracted by all the options I'm not choosing (today) - and I'm mostly not talking about the forum but my own bookshelves. So many methods, so many styles, so many guides and how-tos and schedules and books and subjects.

Due to an upcoming big move, I've been paring down books and some of this process has been painless and liberating, some I've had to get rid of the way one takes off a band-aid, but some are like leeches and others have me bedazzled. For instance, I have no desire for a grammar program for my six year old who is already getting plenty of grammar from his Latin and writing to satisfy us both but I can't get rid of First Language Lessons or R&S English 2. They are both irresistibly beautiful to me in their own ways. How utterly absurd is that?! I've taken to hiding books from myself in an attempt to have my cake and eat it too. I always end up wanting (however briefly) to use them again at which point I'm glad I didn't get rid of them but I'm still ultimately vexed by having my hands full of options but only having time to really do one well but never able to make that commitment.

The ghost of What If..? haunts me. What if I don't read up thoroughly on every method available and then miss something key to my child's joy in growing up and success as an adult? Sure, we're content. But what if it's only because we're ignorant? What if I get rid of something and then find myself in a situation where I can't afford to get it back but have realized it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me and I blew it because I didn't recognize it at the time? Meanwhile, suitcases are limited, postage (with necessary insurance) is expensive and The Book Depository doesn't ship where we're headed.

I have several verses of scripture popping into my head related to anxiety and trust but I need someone to toss cold water on my head and speak sense into it .. just walk me through this.

Thank you for putting into words my disorder! :lol: I have the exact same "vexation", right along with the shelves & shelves of curricula & books, not to mention the bins in storage. (It probably sounds like more than it is, but it only looks like a lot because my house is small.) I've now got my blinders on and stopped all unnecessary purchasing long ago, but I've got an argument for keeping every single book in this house, by golly!

I think somehwhere in you, you already know the answer. You know you have to shed some books. It is painful to think of when they are attached to hopes, dreams, & plans. Here is the thought process I would go through to aid decision-making: What is my one true homeschool love that I can't imagine abandoning, that I always come back to if I stray and never really let go of even when I try to use other things - I just end up adding those things to it? What is that thing? For me, it is TWTM Writing. It's what resonated with me the most the first time I read TWTM, what got me excited to begin down that particular path because of where it promised to lead. So, all my resources I'm using to accomplish my definition of "WTM Writing" would be keepers. Then I'd similarly do this within individual subjects - if you had to pick ONE thing for history, what would it be? If you had to pick ONE thing to use for math, what would it be? And so on. As you make your lists or pack it up, limit the temptation to take extras. Then, if you have room, only take supplements that truly compliment and aid your teaching and your children's learning of those core favorites. Be realistic. The rest is stuff you merely like but likely won't have much time for without sacrificing things you really believe in or like the best. You didn't have time for it here, and if you plan to continue those core favorites, what makes you think you'll have time somewhere else? Pray your way through it, tell God you want to put your homeschool in His hands and to guide your decisions. He knows your children & the dynamics of your homeschool through & through, now and in the future, so He really knows best. When you find peace with a decision, let it be, don't take it back to second-guess or analyze it.

I had myself waaaaaay overscheduled, with too many fun, wonderful, and deeply enriching resources to ever move forward. The load I carried was so big, taking a step forward on our school schedule was painful. In order to simplify for this year, I had to think in terms of forcing myself to choose ONE thing for each subject. Those things are my core favorites that I'm at peace with if we don't have time to add anything else. I like supplementing, but I don't like feeling bogged down. If/when I add things now, I try to be very mindful of the quality and educational value of the supplements.

Just a side-note: IF you have a small enough house that all of these books are in your face constantly (i.e. you can see the shelves from many places b/c your home doesn't have many places), get shelves with doors, build some of your own with doors, or at least put up curtains on the ones you've got to hide the mess and allow your mind to rest.

Hunter once told me, in response to my "vexation", to go read Ecclesiastes. It roused more questions in my mind instead of settling it, but 2 points were clear by the end.

Blessings to you in this season of change.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Went through this two years ago at the end of first grade. What should I do with my supplements from ancient history? Knowing that they were to come around in fifth grade, I was tempted to keep all of them.

Then I got to thinking about whether they would even interest the boys when they got to fifth grade. What enthralled a first grader may well bore a fifth grader, and I really wanted to have both of them more involved with their studies at that point. In other words--to have them do more choosing of supplements by making trips to the out of town library with me on the weekends, or picking up things from our used bookstore.

What I decided to do which ended the vexation was to take a lot of the resources to our used bookstore. I get store credit for them, and the owner employs home-school students in her store, so I can be sure that resources that I trade in there are welcome and can be of use to some other family.

As for the rest, I've got a set number of bookcases devoted to the books I'm using this year, and one shelf for resources that I've decided to hang on to for the time being. If I want to keep something more, I've got to clear out a few of the books I saved in the first place. I usually make the decision by getting rid of something that I've 1) Not used in the last year, 2) Seen at the library or the used book store, or 3) Have found something at the library that I like better.

Homeschooling philosophy books are actually pretty easy for me to get rid of. I try not to buy them in the first place, but the ones I end up keeping are usually the ones that I find myself going back to enough that I break the spine. Currently, the only one that fits that bill on my shelf is TWTM. I picked up a few this summer to read, and they get to head to the used book store on my next run. When it comes to educational how-to books, I'd sooner save the space for classic literature.

Now that I have a hard time getting rid of!

I don't know how accurate and legal this is, but our (my husband and I) blanket approach to copywrite issues has been this: we copy/scan/print anything we purchase. We do not however sell those or even loan out to friends anything we have done this to. If I resale it, it gets deleted. I think this is (probably) the spirit of most copywrite statements. But, if you start loaning out and giving stuff away that you have digital copies of- yes- you are crossing the line of pirating media.

If you are using it for your own family purpose, you aren't reducing any profits to the author. I do however go for curriculum that is geared towards non- consumption and use by several children. I guess you could argue that some things are meant to be consumed by children and purchased again for siblings.

I understand that technically this may not be every single author's intent with their curriculum, but my husband and I are in agreement of this. He is a computer guy, deals with EULAs and various digital media all the time, and has a very sensitive conscience when it comes to this pirating media.

Thank-you for the thoughts and ideas, ladies! They are greatly appreciated and I will continue to consider the possibility of scanning.

Annabel Lee, you are right, I do have a "heart curriculum" from which I never fully depart and keep coming back to whenever I have wandered from it too far. Thank-you for taking my hand and walking me through this a ways, regarding both my books and my thoughts.

I have read others, when expecting babies through their school year, being told to relax, simplify, enjoy the season and know that for now, the baby is the lesson and I have to remember that for some time our new home (and it's new language) will be the lesson. Perhaps that is what Elizabeth was referring to.