Menu

s/o Name This Messiness!

From the pretty house thread:

Does anyone want to coin a term for that period of time during a cleaning event where everything looks way worse (you know ... when it looks so disastrously worse that you don't even want to go to the bathroom because you might forget what you were trying to do?) than it was before you started. [hmm, I wonder if this only happens to me??] Should there be a special name given to the absolute maximum point of messiness during this period?

• the ugly period: The Doubting Castle
  • abs max point of messy: The Giant Despair

Edited by mirth

Absolute Chaos is what I call it. I was at that point last week. We swapped my DS's bedroom with the office. In the process, my entire house was a total disaster due to remnants of the two rooms being strewn everywhere. I had a bed in my kitchen, office furniture in my living room, computer parts in the basement rec room, toys and clothes everywhere. And my kids had trashed the girls' room playing while DH and I were working on the move.

When I actually took a second to look around at my house, I got extremely depressed and wondered if we'd ever get my house put back to right. We did, finally. It just took a few more hours of blood, sweat and tears.

For years we have referred to this stage as The Eruption. It's like a volcano - I know everything will eventually flow back to its natural place (even if it's a "new" natural place), but the interim is the hardest part.

The point of no return.

It HAS to be finished at that stage--can't stop or give up!

:iagree: Getting past it feels like a huge accomplishment. I can actually feel the endorphins kick in when I reach the point of seeing light at the end of the tunnel (and when I put the stuff I've culled out into the garbage can or in the car to be taken to Goodwill).

Kalah, it's so funny you say Hot Mess - 'cause that's lava-like and fits with my volcano eruption metaphor. But it's also my Hair Gal's favorite term for bad hair days. And that's so fitting, because about the time I'm fully in Eruption Mode, I am also ready to pull my hair out!

Just got my second-to-last area of the house past Eruption. I have one storage area threatening to blow and it will soon pour out over into other areas as I organize it. But when that one is done, I will feel liberated. Hopefully a bit richer, too, as I think there's some good stuff to sell hiding in there. At least there's an incentive for going in...!

The point of no return.

It HAS to be finished at that stage--can't stop or give up!

This is what we call it here.

It goes like this:

everyone take a five minute break: bathroom, drink, whatever. And then right back here because we are at the POINT OF NO RETURN which means we are over the worst of it. ONWARD!!!!!

thumbsup.gif

I like Crapalanche. You know, when DH walks into a disaster, and you are trying to explain that you're cleaning and he's wondering how you manage to keep a straight face.

:lol:

I like this. This is what my living room (sorting area for the crap from other areas of the house) and dining room (from decluttering the kitchen) look like right now. We've had a Crapalanche. :D

I like Crapalanche. You know, when DH walks into a disaster, and you are trying to explain that you're cleaning and he's wondering how you manage to keep a straight face.

:lol: this is classic!

I consider it the "storm before the calm" - my house is currently in this stage right now...something about fall brings it out in me!