Menu

My teenager walks on the inside of his shoe..

My 14 year old son has started to walk on the inside of his shoes. He doesn't seem to walk on the inside of his foot when he is barefoot. I actually made a foot print of his feet and I didn't notice anything weird or different between his feet and my daughters. Anyone btdt or have any advice to help with this? I don't want my son's feet to be messed up later in life. Any shoes that I can get to help?

Thank you for your time,

Do his feet feel comfortable in those shoes?

Does he think there's an issue?

I agree, you don't want his shoes to stuff up his feet later on. Could he get a gait analysis done to find out whether he is actually over/under-pronating (sorry, I forget which is which :blush:)?

My son started doing something similar during his growth spurt years, although his feet also pronated when he wasn't wearing shoes. His doctor recommended going to a specific local shoe store that specialized in running/walking shoes and they were able to advise us on appropriate shoes. He wore the same style of athletic shoes for many years and used inserts for his other shoes.

So I'd recommend either checking with his doctor or just going to a high quality shoe store and asking for advice.

Edited by Frances

Do his feet feel comfortable in those shoes?

Does he think there's an issue?

I agree, you don't want his shoes to stuff up his feet later on. Could he get a gait analysis done to find out whether he is actually over/under-pronating (sorry, I forget which is which :blush:)?

We have tried so many shoes. My ex went and bought him a few different shoes that were pretty pricey with no results. Yes, he thinks it is an issue. You can see when he walks how he is walking over the shoe. Gait analysis?

Gait analysis?

You could get him checked by a health professional, but if you have a decent sized reputable shoe store or sports store, they will do the gait analysis free of charge, which should give you an idea of what the problem is and what kind of footwear would work best. They will also let you know if he should get medical advice.

My dh does this, apparently because he has flat feet. There are theories out there that this sort of thing can happen because of the shoes we wear, that the muscles in the feet aren't able to strengthen properly. These people would recommend walking barefoot as much as possible, or using a minimalist shoe when necessary, such a Vibrams or a moccasin. HTH.

Vibrams Five-Fingered shoes. Cost less than a visit to the doctor. I'd try them first. I wear them...a lot. They are my everyday shoe for shopping, yard work, hiking...The old ones make the best water shoes you could ever find. They have started making them without toes. Don't get those. Get the toed shoes!!! Some of the new models have a more firm sole. Go with a more flexible version instead. You want to be able to ball the shoe up fairly easily.

Edited by Lolly

I would get him checked out by a doctor. When our son was around 12 we started noticing some abnormalities in his gait and trouble running. After a visit to his doc and then to a pediatric orthopedist, he was diagnosed with scoliosis, spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis. None of them are major at this point, but all are things that he needs continued monitoring for, particularly until he's done with his growth spurt. The back issues make it extremely important that he avoid some sports, particularly football, soccer and weightlifting. And they're things that could cause serious back trouble down the road. He also needs to do a series of exercises regularly to help his muscles compensate for the back issues. From my research I've learned that the early teenage years are usually the time issues like these are noticed in boys.

So I'd have him checked out just in case. And if everything's okay, then you can then take him to a good shoe store that caters to runners for a gait analysis.

Edited by Pawz4me

A dance teacher just addressed this in class. She noticed one of the women had her feet rolled in and ask if her shoes were more worn on the inside. She then brought her attention to the muscles on the inside of her legs just above her knees. They were seriously overdeveloped because they were doing all of the work that the larger muscles on the outside of her thighs could more easily do!

I can't remember if she said it can lead to back or knee issues or both, but the dance teacher recognized it because she did the same thing years earlier. It makes the ankles vulnerable. She said it took her YEARS of thinking about it and correcting her posture to fix this. She had to make herself distribute her weight evenly on her feet until she could do it without thinking. The other woman is working on it now.

The women above are middle aged, so it'll take some time to retrain those bodies. However, they are motivated. It seems like a teen could correct faster (provided its JUST a bad, habitual stance causing this) but he'd have to CARE and put in the effort.

This was discussed just at the end of spring, and we went back to class last night. The teacher remarked that the student had made progress and there were fewer corrections concerning her ankles/feet in class today.

When I was 18yo, my boyfriend told me I walked on the inside of my feet. I hadn't noticed - and didn't really see it then. My shoes didn't wear unevenly on the inside. Fast forward 20yrs, my husband told me the same thing. Again, I didn't see it. My feet/ankles didn't hurt; shoes didn't wear unusually.

Forward again, 8yrs later - I definitely notice now, at age 46. My ankles hurt most nights. There is an odd bulge on the outside of my right ankle. I don't even know where to begin to correct this issue, but I'm afraid if I don't, my elderly years will be spent sitting because walking will be painful.

I'd advise having your son's feet checked out by a professional now to avoid problems in the future.

DS16 has foot problems and does this. It started showing up when he started his big growth spurts around 13yo. He tried the shoe inserts, but they didn't correct properly. Our family doc sent him to a podiatrist who made custom inserts that he wears in his tennis shoes or hiking boots. Made all the difference in the world. He went from not being able to walk thru the grocery store without complaining to doing 10-15 mile hikes with no trouble.

DD18 does the same thing to a lesser degree and swears by Dansko shoes.

A dance teacher just addressed this in class. She noticed one of the women had her feet rolled in and ask if her shoes were more worn on the inside. She then brought her attention to the muscles on the inside of her legs just above her knees. They were seriously overdeveloped because they were doing all of the work that the larger muscles on the outside of her thighs could more easily do!

I can't remember if she said it can lead to back or knee issues or both, but the dance teacher recognized it because she did the same thing years earlier. It makes the ankles vulnerable. She said it took her YEARS of thinking about it and correcting her posture to fix this. She had to make herself distribute her weight evenly on her feet until she could do it without thinking. The other woman is working on it now.

The women above are middle aged, so it'll take some time to retrain those bodies. However, they are motivated. It seems like a teen could correct faster (provided its JUST a bad, habitual stance causing this) but he'd have to CARE and put in the effort.

This was discussed just at the end of spring, and we went back to class last night. The teacher remarked that the student had made progress and there were fewer corrections concerning her ankles/feet in class today.

We have had a similar experience. A year of physical therapy and a great set of custom orthotics evened things out. It's harder for girls/women because the hormones for helping the pelvic joints loosen for childbirth affect other joints as well, especially during puberty.

For your son, I would be especially sure to check with a doc if there is ankle and/or knee pain involved.

I would see an orthopedic doctor or podiatrist. They might recommend custom inserts, but just be aware that if your insurance doesn't cover it, there are cheaper alternatives that might work just as well. My dd pronates and has one leg slightly longer than the other. She's tried arch supports from the podiatrist and felt that the Spenco Arch Supports we ordered online for about $16 actually worked better for her. And recently we went to another podiatrist for custom orthotics to even out her leg length. After we found that it would cost us $400, we ordered a $6 heal lift online which did the exact same thing. (We did verify the results with her chiropractor and podiatrist.) She is a professional ballet dancer so the health of her feet, legs and back are very important. Thankfully the cheaper alternatives to custom orthotics work well for her.

Edited by LadyNancy

Vibrams Five-Fingered shoes. Cost less than a visit to the doctor. I'd try them first. I wear them...a lot. They are my everyday shoe for shopping, yard work, hiking...The old ones make the best water shoes you could ever find. They have started making them without toes. Don't get those. Get the toed shoes!!! Some of the new models have a more firm sole. Go with a more flexible version instead. You want to be able to ball the shoe up fairly easily.

Ive seen these before but never knew they were actually something worth looking into. How are they supposed to be better than wearing sneakers?

I would get him checked out by a doctor. When our son was around 12 we started noticing some abnormalities in his gait and trouble running. After a visit to his doc and then to a pediatric orthopedist, he was diagnosed with scoliosis, spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis. None of them are major at this point, but all are things that he needs continued monitoring for, particularly until he's done with his growth spurt. The back issues make it extremely important that he avoid some sports, particularly football, soccer and weightlifting. And they're things that could cause serious back trouble down the road. He also needs to do a series of exercises regularly to help his muscles compensate for the back issues. From my research I've learned that the early teenage years are usually the time issues like these are noticed in boys.

So I'd have him checked out just in case. And if everything's okay, then you can then take him to a good shoe store that caters to runners for a gait analysis.

Things like this is what I am worried about!

check out orthoheel shoes. They are specifically made to prevent this, by a podiatrist. They are AMAZING. And the only thing that keeps me from having major foot problems.

Isn't this for "flat foot"? I looked at the video and he is showing someone with a flat foot. I took an imprint of my son's foot so I know it is not doing this.

Ive seen these before but never knew they were actually something worth looking into. How are they supposed to be better than wearing sneakers?

The way they work is that your toes are allowed to fully spread and operate individually, and the soles are thin so that you can perceive where your foot is and how it is working. Wearing them still requires you to be very conscious, at least at first, of walking and standing properly--toes pointing straight ahead, hips over knees over heels, etc.

I can't remember if you said he does it when barefoot or not. ETA: just saw that you said he does not. Shoes can throw the body out of alignment. I'd get him out of regular shoes and into something minimal, like a Vibram Five Fingers, Merrell Barefoot, or something similar with a very minimal sole and without a positive heel (a positive heel is higher than the toe--very, very common in shoes, and not so good for the body).

Edited by VeganCupcake

• 5 months later...
Guest marzekiel

I have a "leg length discrepancy" or "short leg syndrome" (I argue with therapist saying I have TWO short legs and one is shorter than the other!). A .7 difference. As I got older, I started getting backaches and Xrays showed a slight scoliosis and it was clear that different problems I have had (minor) were caused by this difference).

The body seeks homeostasis -- we don't walk tilted to the side as on the ads for some med--we walk upright and balanced. The shorter leg cannot get longer, so the longer leg does what it can to make itself seem shorter. Twist the longer side hip up and around making the back distort. And, I've noticed that the longer-leg foot turns out a bit. And one shoulder will be higher than the other. So if you see someone with a lower shoulder you can conclude there's a leg discrepancy.

My therapist (neuromuscular therapist/NMT/St John Method also neurosomatic ) feels that the whole sole of the shoe needs to be supported, not just the heel. He says that we push off with the balls of our feet and the big toe, and we stand on our whole foot. Many people tend to thrust their bodies forward so, instead of weight on the heels where we are grounded, weight is on the toes. If the whole shoe isn't elevated, the difference will continue.

He measured my legs and got the difference between the two (.7 difference). I have a shoemaker add this strip to my right (shorter-leg) shoe for about $45 per shoe. I limit my shoes, natch. For sneakers/running shoes, I use an insert made by the shoemaker. Not all shoemakers know how to do this, but I use Holmes Shoes in St Petersburg, FL. But this is cheaper than a $400 orthotic that must go shoe-to-shoe. Nobody notices this.

If your daughter is a dancer, is there a way to add height to the, say, toe of the toe-shoes?

I would see an orthopedic doctor or podiatrist. They might recommend custom inserts, but just be aware that if your insurance doesn't cover it, there are cheaper alternatives that might work just as well. My dd pronates and has one leg slightly longer than the other. She's tried arch supports from the podiatrist and felt that the Spenco Arch Supports we ordered online for about $16 actually worked better for her. And recently we went to another podiatrist for custom orthotics to even out her leg length. After we found that it would cost us $400, we ordered a $6 heal lift online which did the exact same thing. (We did verify the results with her chiropractor and podiatrist.) She is a professional ballet dancer so the health of her feet, legs and back are very important. Thankfully the cheaper alternatives to custom orthotics work well for her.