Menu

Any "How to Teach Spelling" Reviews?

Marie131

I am switching spelling programs in a month or two and this program seems to fit the bill but I can't seem to find many reviews on it.

I am looking for an inexpensive, easy to use (i.e. pretty much open and go) rule based program that presents the rule, gives the child some practice, has some dictation and then moves on. I don't need a bunch of manipulatives or bells and whistles. I just want to get the job done as painlessly as possible.

My son is workbook averse, but will tolerate a little bit of book work once in a while. I'm hoping this program is not super workbook-y, if it is then it won't work for us.

Also, my DS will have completed AAS level 2 before moving into this program, is HTS 2 a good place to start?

I appreciate any feedback, both positive or negative! TIA :)

Here is a review by PookieMama on this forum.

Also, this thread is tagged "htts". If you click on the tag, you will see all related threads (tagged "htts").

ETA: If you don't get more replies, you can PM PookieMama and the other members who have said they use this.

If you want to know more about any specific lesson, please post questions here. I have the TM and the workbook #2, but I haven't used it.

Edited by nansk

As PookieMama's review states, the TM is impossible to work with. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but every time I opened that darn TM my head spun. So I just tried making my own system to work with the workbooks and rules. We used it for one year and we are done! Kids didn't like it; I didn't like it. We're trying Simply Spelling this year ($10 for 3-12 grades). It's copywork and dictation based, has rules, is inexpensive and easy to follow. We are starting on Monday and I am excited to try our new spelling program out :)

I bought the TM and finally broke down and bought workbooks 1-3. (I got the impression the workbooks are all the same, only the later ones cover more, and ... well, that's not quite how it works. The later ones skim over things that the lower levels cover in depth.) I haven't started to use them this year and only did a few things last year, but I am thinking of adapting the exercises to non workbook activities, like, say, doing a word sort with the words on cards or slips of paper instead if circling words on the workbook page. I found the TM a little bit confusing so I am hoping the workbooks will help me in terms of progression. My kids are pretty good spellers, in part because they learned to read with Reading Reflex, which is basically has the kid learning to read through spelling the word independently.

I have to apologize that my thread about HTTS got really off track. However in it are a few HTTS related comments, esp at the start, and I do NOT feel you need the teaching key (answers) unless you cannot spell at all yourself or you just are wanting an answer sheet.

I found BoscoPup's blog helpful too

Edited by stripe

I will agree too that I did not find the HTTS TM to be open and go either. I couldn't do much of anything with just the TM. With the workbooks I tried to use it last year for about half the year...but it turned out I was mostly just having DD fill in the workbook pages due to the difficulty in using the TM - and just workbook pages were not enough for her.

I switched to LOE since I needed lots of hand holding..:lol:

Though I do have to say that if I would have had phonogram flash cards with HTTS I might have been slightly more successful with it. The beginning of each HTS workbook says that the student is supposed to learn the phonograms, but for me without clearly provided tools to do so, I was apt to skip it and did. I just didn't have time to make my own flash cards and wasn't sure at the time where to buy them.

Thank you very much for your responses to this thread, I do believe spelling is the bain of my existance :glare:

LOE is another program I am looking at, but I have a hard time swallowing the cost since I spent a truck load on AAS and AAR and am not particularly happy with either.

Does spelling really have to be this difficult? I mean, can't we just learn some rules, practice them and play some games? Must I really beat my head against a wall trying to figure out where to go from here? My kid is only 7.

The thing that scares me with HTTS is everything I've read indicates that the TM is hard to understand. We're having a new baby, who will have health issues, very soon so I know I am not going to have much time to figure out a new program. I like a little hand holding, but I find too much scripting cumbersome. Why can't I find a RightStart for spelling? That would be perfect!

Ok, enough whining. If I were to go w/ HTTS, I would need the TM and workbook - yes? As I understand it, there are no specific lessons in the TM, but rather I would follow the pace of the workbook and teach the appropriate sections from the TM, correct?

Oh, and can I make up my own phonogram and/or rule cards as we go on index cards or would that be too much work?

Yes, I would definitely get the workbooks. I would not know what to do with just the TM. You could download the spreadsheets I have linked on my blog and tweak them to fit your family so that you have a basic idea of the order things are taught and what days you'll be needed for dictation. You could use the sound sheets at the beginning of the workbooks/TM to make your own cards. I've never really done much with those but if I had a child that was struggling, that would be the first thing I would try.

Sorry, I meant to add that I never teach anything out of the TM. All the instruction is found in the workbook. I just use the TM for dictation and if I want to see if there are exceptions to the rule or something like that. I also jot down my own dictation sentences in the TM in the appropriate section.

Stripe is right about the later books briefly reviewing rules that were covered in the earlier ones. Sometimes they do add some additional info that wasn't mentioned the first time around. After reviewing the earlier rules, they go on to new, harder stuff.

Thank you very much. I think I'm going to give this a try. If it doesn't work out, I can always try LoE later on. I like this as a low cost option and it seems do-able.

PookieMama, your blog and spreadsheet are very helpful. I will definitely be downloading your spreadsheets.

One more question, I understand that the TM is not open and go, but what about the workbooks? If I have the workbooks, can I just pick it up and teach? Also, with this program do you do spelling every day?

One more question, I understand that the TM is not open and go, but what about the workbooks? If I have the workbooks, can I just pick it up and teach? Also, with this program do you do spelling every day?

The workbooks are definitely open and go. I don't usually have to help the child at all unless it's something they've never seen before and they just don't get it from reading the rule. Then I just explain the rule (using the workbook page), work a few of the problems with them to make sure they get it, then let them go to town. On dictation days, I have to work with them, of course.

If you are starting on Level 2, you could do spelling 3x/week and get done in a year pretty easily. I broke up a few of the pages in Level 1 into 2 days for my dd. Next year in Level 3 I will break many of the pages into 2 days worth of work because there's a lot more writing. If we do 3x/week, I think we could probably get 2 years out of Level 3.

HTTS is on my list of curricula that I think I could make work, if I stopped curriculum hopping, and needed to. If I wasn't so enamored with How to Tutor right now, I'd be just as likely to use HTTS as WRTR 4th. How to Tutor is the best for teaching cursive handwriting and sytax, though, and those are subjects I want to incorporate into the spelling lessons. HTTS is the best for Spelling rules. WRTR 4th is the quickest way to get a student reading real books. Depending on my priority, I'm likely to switch between these different programs.

When I have used it, I've used the workbooks for guidance but haven't had the student fill them out, but I don't think I need them anymore. I'm about to start a thread about using "stick in the dirt" curricula. I'm realizing 2 things that I need to do to make them work, that seems to apply across the board.

#1. I need to create my own version of a student notebook, with teaching notes added as annotations.

#2. I need to use this big picture

for EACH individual curriculum. THEN I can plan each month and week.

My seizures make it SO hard for me to see the big picture. I don't make connections and multitask like I used to. The reason I have been drawn to certain workbooks is because they are VISUALLY organized and I can SEE the big picture. I've realized I can make a VISUAL big picture of my favorite "stick in the dirt" curricula on a piece of art paper folded into blocks, and a small picture VISUAL by doing a student notebook page myself.

I wish I'd figured this out earlier :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I think I'm convinced. I am also considering buying the LOE game book to add some fun to it. Has anyone used this book alongside a different program?

I don't use HTTS (we use LOE). However, I own HTTS and I really love the look of it. I may use HTTS next year after we complete our first year with LOE. I keep going back and forth between going through LOE again with more challenging words, HTTS, or Rod and Staff and then I remember I don't have to decide NOW what I want to do NEXT year.

I do own the LOE game book and you can use it beside any O-G program in my opinion. It has a lot of fun simple ideas. However, many of the games are going to require 2 decks of phonogram cards. LOE's cards are very high quality, but you could easily make your own on index cards. There are also many other games in the book that do not require cards.

HTTS is on my list of curricula that I think I could make work, if I stopped curriculum hopping, and needed to. If I wasn't so enamored with How to Tutor right now, I'd be just as likely to use HTTS as WRTR 4th. How to Tutor is the best for teaching cursive handwriting and sytax, though, and those are subjects I want to incorporate into the spelling lessons. HTTS is the best for Spelling rules. WRTR 4th is the quickest way to get a student reading real books. Depending on my priority, I'm likely to switch between these different programs.

I've never heard of How to Tutor. Is it a curriculum? Or is it a teaching methodology?

I've been using Wheeler's Elementary Speller (a vintage text that I bought a copy of on Etsy, but I think it's free online) and I just got HTTS to go along with it. I love Wheeler's for the laid out lessons with poetry as dictation/copywork, but I needed more help explaining the rules and HTTS helps with that. I wouldn't know how to use just the TM without any sort of guided lessons, though. I haven't seen the workbooks, so I can't comment on those.

I've been using Wheeler's Elementary Speller (a vintage text that I bought a copy of on Etsy, but I think it's free online) and I just got HTTS to go along with it. I love Wheeler's for the laid out lessons with poetry as dictation/copywork, but I needed more help explaining the rules and HTTS helps with that. I wouldn't know how to use just the TM without any sort of guided lessons, though. I haven't seen the workbooks, so I can't comment on those.

Yes, Wheeler's is free online and I really liked it. Last year after we dropped All About Spelling and I was trying to figure out what to do next, we used Wheeler's. I, too, loved the dictation, poetry, and even picture study that was included.

I've never heard of How to Tutor. Is it a curriculum? Or is it a teaching methodology?

Lori, you have been gone. I missed you. While you were gone my printer broke and I had to scramble and somehow heard about How to Tutor by Samuel Blumenfeld. You absolutely MUST read this book. It has YOUR name written all over it! It covers the 3R's and uses vintage slate-work type methods.

I'm in love :001_wub: with HTT right now. It's easier than Spalding to do cursive first, and to introduce early sentence composition. Spalding 4th edition will get a student reading trade books faster, though. HTTS is more focused on spelling rules. They all have their good points and weaknesses.

Don Potter uses the Alpha Phonics version of How to Tutor, and created phonograms for it.

I bought the cheap kindle version first and then bought a used hardcover ex-library book version. My book is already so full of notes, that it looks like a new convert's Bible. Because it came yellowed and aged, combined with my volumous notes, I looks like I SERIOUSLY know what I'm doing. :lol: If only :tongue_smilie:

Not only do I love the math, but somehow it has been the glue to help me use Professor B, Grube's and African Waldorf better.

I'm going to pull out Word Journeys and see if HTT will provide the glue to start using that book too.

I don't know, but it was like some sort of global awakening happened for me when I saw the charts in HTT. I now understand what I call slate-work better, and how that is different from what most people call copy-work.

I'm on no rush to replace my stinky printer, and slick copy-paper print outs. And the student I am using HTT the most with right now, is entranced with the early chapter in Elsie Dinsmore where the students are in the schoolroom, and ...well...she is just TOO funny the past few days, about copy-work and recitations. :lol:

Lori, you have been gone. I missed you. While you were gone my printer broke and I had to scramble and somehow heard about How to Tutor by Samuel Blumenfeld. You absolutely MUST read this book. It has YOUR name written all over it! It covers the 3R's and uses vintage slate-work type methods.

I'm in love :001_wub: with HTT right now. It's easier than Spalding to do cursive first, and to introduce early sentence composition. Spalding 4th edition will get a student reading trade books faster, though. HTTS is more focused on spelling rules. They all have their good points and weaknesses.

Don Potter uses the Alpha Phonics version of How to Tutor, and created phonograms for it.

I bought the cheap kindle version first and then bought a used hardcover ex-library book version. My book is already so full of notes, that it looks like a new convert's Bible. Because it came yellowed and aged, combined with my volumous notes, I looks like I SERIOUSLY know what I'm doing. :lol: If only :tongue_smilie:

Not only do I love the math, but somehow it has been the glue to help me use Professor B, Grube's and African Waldorf better.

I'm going to pull out Word Journeys and see if HTT will provide the glue to start using that book too.

I don't know, but it was like some sort of global awakening happened for me when I saw the charts in HTT. I now understand what I call slate-work better, and how that is different from what most people call copy-work.

I'm on no rush to replace my stinky printer, and slick copy-paper print outs. And the student I am using HTT the most with right now, is entranced with the early chapter in Elsie Dinsmore where the students are in the schoolroom, and ...well...she is just TOO funny the past few days, about copy-work and recitations. :lol:

I missed you too and our discussions!! I had to hibernate for a while to get my school year completely organized. I wanted to be very focussed on my philosophy and goals for each child and what our day was going to look like. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on line rethinking any of our choices. Plus I wanted to give our first few weeks of school my full attention.

Now that things are off to a beautiful start, I'm back :001_smile:.

I just ordered a used pb version of How To Tutor since you say my name is written all over it! :D I'm excited to read it. Everything I have read lately (even if I am not directly using it) has indeed shaped my thinking or reshaped it and hopefully made me a better educator. I laughed out loud when you wrote that your copy of the book looks like a new convert's Bible. PERFECT word picture! By the time I get my copy and read it maybe you actually will know what you are doing; although I think taking lots of notes and pretending to know what you are doing is always an excellent start (it always works for me anyway).

I missed you too and our discussions!! I had to hibernate for a while to get my school year completely organized. I wanted to be very focussed on my philosophy and goals for each child and what our day was going to look like. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on line rethinking any of our choices. Plus I wanted to give our first few weeks of school my full attention.

Now that things are off to a beautiful start, I'm back :001_smile:.

I just ordered a used pb version of How To Tutor since you say my name is written all over it! :D I'm excited to read it. Everything I have read lately (even if I am not directly using it) has indeed shaped my thinking or reshaped it and hopefully made me a better educator. I laughed out loud when you wrote that your copy of the book looks like a new convert's Bible. PERFECT word picture! By the time I get my copy and read it maybe you actually will know what you are doing; although I think taking lots of notes and pretending to know what you are doing is always an excellent start (it always works for me anyway).

One of the things I like best about HTT, is that since I bought it, I have spent less money on curricula than I ever have before. Instead of craving new things, I now have ideas to retry all my old favorites that I failed to implement.

I have some things going that I am so happy to continue, but I also am just as excited about gradually, in the future, becoming more and more "stick in the dirt".

Lori, another idea you might want to look at is applying the

to a SINGLE "stick in the dirt" curricula, that you are struggling to implement. I've lost track of which threads I have already posted this link in. :tongue_smilie: But I have folded up pieces of paper and previously abandoned curricula spread all out on the floor.

I just love it when OLD things come together for the first time. I don't want to distract you from what you are doing. I'm hoping instead that HTT and the planner just help you do what you are doing better.

I think the waldorf block planner would even work for someone trying to implement just the HTTS TM, without the workbooks. I had to throw that in since this is the thread I am posting in :lol:

Lori, another idea you might want to look at is applying the

to a SINGLE "stick in the dirt" curricula, that you are struggling to implement. I've lost track of which threads I have already posted this link in. :tongue_smilie: But I have folded up pieces of paper and previously abandoned curricula spread all out on the floor.

I just love it when OLD things come together for the first time. I don't want to distract you from what you are doing. I'm hoping instead that HTT and the planner just help you do what you are doing better.

Yes! Exactly! I don't want to be distracted from my choices either. They are solid well-thought out choices. I really want to focus on furthering my own skills and how I use the tools I already have been blessed to own.

I did look and my library has the book also, so I put a hold on it and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow night.

I think the waldorf block planner would even work for someone trying to implement just the HTTS TM, without the workbooks. I had to throw that in since this is the thread I am posting in :lol:

:lol:

Yes! Exactly! I don't want to be distracted from my choices either. They are solid well-thought out choices. I really want to focus on furthering my own skills and how I use the tools I already have been blessed to own.

I did look and my library has the book also, so I put a hold on it and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow night.

:hurray:

As much as I'm hoping you love it, it'll be really funny if you hate it. Even if someone hates it, I still think it's a must read. I do NOT like the author's general homeschooling book, though. :001_huh: It's definately one of those books where men are talking to their cronies. :glare:

Thank you very much for your responses to this thread, I do believe spelling is the bain of my existance :glare:

I've felt that way for the last couple years. I finally found what works for us (R&S Spelling), but you weren't wanting workbooky. For me, I needed spelling to be independent. That was how it actually got done. None of the O-G programs are independent, and it turns out that R&S Spelling covers basically the same rules/phonograms, so I am happy now. :) Spelling takes my son usually about 5 minutes, maybe 10 on occasion. Then I give a test at the end of the week.

The thing that scares me with HTTS is everything I've read indicates that the TM is hard to understand.

I found HTTS to be easier to navigate after using AAS. If you look at posts where 8FillTheHeart has explained how she uses it, you might get some good ideas. She only uses the TM, not the workbooks.

I used it that way for a little while, as I had the wrong level workbook. But again, spelling didn't get done around here because I hated teaching spelling, and so now we have gone the mostly independent route. I don't have to teach spelling anymore.

We're having a new baby, who will have health issues, very soon so I know I am not going to have much time to figure out a new program. I like a little hand holding, but I find too much scripting cumbersome. Why can't I find a RightStart for spelling? That would be perfect!

I thought AAS was the RightStart of spelling! :lol: (we're RS dropouts too :tongue_smilie:).

Ok, enough whining. If I were to go w/ HTTS, I would need the TM and workbook - yes? As I understand it, there are no specific lessons in the TM, but rather I would follow the pace of the workbook and teach the appropriate sections from the TM, correct?

I think you just go to the TM when the workbook says to do dictation. Otherwise, it's all in the workbook. Or if you use the TM by itself, you can teach the rule, then give however many words and dictation sentences you want. The nice thing about the TM is that it has ALL LEVELS in one spot. So if you're learning about when to use 'c' vs. 'k', you have easy words and very hard words all in the same list - you just pick the words you think your child should work on right now. When you come back to that section the following year, you pick harder words. Like AAS, the dictation continually reviews previously learned material.

Oh, and can I make up my own phonogram and/or rule cards as we go on index cards or would that be too much work?

You could if you feel like you need cards. Or just buy a set of Spalding/SWR/AAS/etc. cards and make any adjustments needed. HTTS used the same phonograms as AAS, IIRC. I know they definitely do /E/ sound for 'i' and 'y' (where Spalding and its spinoffs have you use a short /i/ sound at the end of "baby").

Hope you can figure something out! We used 3 levels of AAS, and it was too slow for us. HTTS definitely moves faster, which is very nice! WRTR (Spalding) also moves faster, and might be one to look at, as it makes more sense after doing AAS. It still has the issue of most O-G based programs though... teacher dependence. HTTS at least has some independent work in the workbook, so it might be a good fit for you. If not, and if your child isn't majorly struggling with spelling, pick up a simple workbook and be done with it for your own sanity. If the 7 year old has to do a workbook for one subject, it's not the end of the world, especially when you're dealing with new baby health issues. And remember that phonograms and rules only get you so far with spelling... You still have to memorize which phonograms are used in a word. There is no rule for why the meat "steak" is not spelled "stake". :)

... I may use HTTS next year after we complete our first year with LOE. I keep going back and forth between going through LOE again with more challenging words, HTTS, ....

If you figure out how to tweak HTTS as a follow on to LoE (based off on LoE's scheduling or something), please post back. :)

If you figure out how to tweak HTTS as a follow on to LoE (based off on LoE's scheduling or something), please post back. :)

If you figure that out, you might be given your own subforum :lol:

:DLuckily I have a whole school year to work on this little project. Thanks for the advanced notice though. If it can work, I'm sure I will figure it out because I"m highly motivated to come up with something less teacher intensive after a year in the WRTR and then LOE trenches.

I basically follow the recommendations of the TM and the workbooks. My children do one page per day. If the workbook say "learn this" we copy it to a flashcard to be memorized. I am willing to pause the workbooks to memorize the spelling rules. When the workbook says "refer to TM and dictate a few sentences for them to spell", I do that. The TM says to dictate 4-5 nonsense syllables, 4 spelling words, 3 phrases and 3 sentences. I skip the nonsense syllables but do the rest plus the last five trouble words from the previous dictations. I make sure to read the little subtitles and notations in the TM because they indicate appropriate grade levels. Lastly, I generally dictate all the appropriate words, phrases and sentences before moving onto the next page in the workbook because I prefer a slow but thorough treatment of spelling. I appreciate that later dictations review previously studied words.

I basically follow the recommendations of the TM and the workbooks. My children do one page per day. If the workbook say "learn this" we copy it to a flashcard to be memorized. I am willing to pause the workbooks to memorize the spelling rules. When the workbook says "refer to TM and dictate a few sentences for them to spell", I do that. The TM says to dictate 4-5 nonsense syllables, 4 spelling words, 3 phrases and 3 sentences. I skip the nonsense syllables but do the rest plus the last five trouble words from the previous dictations. I make sure to read the little subtitles and notations in the TM because they indicate appropriate grade levels. Lastly, I generally dictate all the appropriate words, phrases and sentences before moving onto the next page in the workbook because I prefer a slow but thorough treatment of spelling. I appreciate that later dictations review previously studied words.

Thank you for taking the time to share how you use it. You make it seem easy :)

I'm working on using HTTS myself, and trying to follow a similar guideline, I'm determined to make it work! I'm not doing 1 page a day though as even doing 1-2 pages a week means we will finish the entire 2nd-3rd grade workbook in 1 year.

My current plan, subject to change, is to do the workbook page. If that page is broken in sections to do a section and then the following day have them write the rule and dictate words, phrases and sentences that apply, with some with review as well. We are still working out the kinks though and I'm still working on judging how much and how hard he needs to be challenged without overwhelming him.

I have the LoE phonogram and spelling cards coming, along with their phonogram game book w/ 2 sets of cards and the spelling book. I *plan* to weave them together but I'm waiting on it to arrive to see how to work that out. I'm thinking we'll reserve 1-2 days for phonogram games and use the spelling rule cards to work on memorizing them.

I bought both HTTS & the workbook and I could not figure it out, even after reading all of the posts on here (including links in this thread). We used it for a few weeks and ditched it after my daughter not learning anything and me wanting to pull my hair out. I seriously was starting to think something was wrong with me for not being able to figure it out! Even the workbooks confused me. I didn't see any correlation between the TM & the workbook. It seemed like it was 2 different curriculums, lol.

I bought Sequential Spelling (not rule based) and we are loving it. She is finally learning how to spell. I looked into AAS but I really didn't like the idea of all those parts, nor was I a fan of the cost. I realize that isn't what you asked.

I'm working on using HTTS myself, and trying to follow a similar guideline, I'm determined to make it work! I'm not doing 1 page a day though as even doing 1-2 pages a week means we will finish the entire 2nd-3rd grade workbook in 1 year.

Good for you! We don't go through the workbook as fast because we go through all the didictations before going to the next page. So if there are one hundred words to spell, then we are parked in that workbook page for 5 days. :001_smile:

Thank you for taking the time to share how you use it. You make it seem easy :)

You are most welcome. Honestly, I'm just following the instructions on the first two pages of the TM. :001_smile: I tried to do just the TM but it took too much effort to figure out pacing. The workbook solved that part for me and since we copy onto handwriting paper/notebooks, it's very cheap.

I really do like the way the rules are presented clearly and consolidates different ways to spell a sound or different ways to say a phonogram. The built-in review is very nice too. The sentences are not elegant but we memorize poetry and various passages from classic literature in addition to reading widely so I'm fine with that.

Best of luck with finding what works!