Menu

HSA & braces...

Older dd will be getting braces this month. Does anyone know if we can add the $140/mo to our HSA account during open enrollment and pay with that for all of next year? I'm wondering if having the braces put on and signing the agreement this year means it wouldn't be an eligible expense for next year. Thanks!

I don't know the answer for sure, especially if you're paying monthly. My dd was referred for braces last fall. We set aside the money in the HSA for this year and the ortho was fine with waiting until January to put the braces on. But we paid in one lump sum and the date of service was obviously January--your situation is a little different.

We worked with our ortho to make sure we did it in a way that met the requirements for the HSA. I don't remember the details, but I do remember it saved a significant amount of $$$. Talk to the folks who do your HSA and to the ortho - both will be used to this question and both should work with you to be sure it's all set up appropriately.

I know they said it would be set up as an automatic draft. At the time, I wasn't even thinking of using our HSA account. We don't set up payment arrangements until she has them on, though.

I will call on Monday and ask about using our HSA account. Open enrollment is in October for us, so I will also talk with our HSA provider.

Older dd will be getting braces this month. Does anyone know if we can add the $140/mo to our HSA account during open enrollment and pay with that for all of next year? I'm wondering if having the braces put on and signing the agreement this year means it wouldn't be an eligible expense for next year. Thanks!

We did it that way. Our son got his braces in January, so we had to wait until the open enrollment period in the fall to add in enough to cover the monthly orthodontist payments for the upcoming year. It wasn't a problem.