Menu

Anyone have experience with Buspar?

Twinmom

I just heard someone talking about this. She said Xanax really works better for her than Burpar, but she did try Buspar before trying Xanax. She had a side effect of feeling groggy when she took Buspar and Xanax just worked better.

But the Xanax really helped her. She had bad anxiety I think.

Sorry that is probably not helpful. I guess I would say my friend was ultimately helped by the whole process but Buspar was not right for her.

I think she also had hypothyroidism? So she is also taking pills for that, and I think the hypothyroidism itself is the reason she has anxiety. So that might be why different medicines work for her than might work for another person.

Can't remember if we tried it or not (we have tried so many). I would just watch for any signs of mania/hypomania with it as in sensitive kids it can cause this.

We have some of those already, but it is too early in the adjustment period to tell if it will settle out.

We have some of those already, but it is too early in the adjustment period to tell if it will settle out.

Just keep a close watch on it...........as I am sure you know to do.

Another med that might be helpful is Lamictal. It is a seizure med used for mood disorders as well that seems to help anxiety but doesn't trigger mania/hypomania in kids. You do need to start slow and low and go up slowly but it has been great here and honestly seems to help cognition some as well.

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this thread wondering if anyone has anything else to add. Dd 12 (Anxiety disorder, HFA) has started this before the holidays and weaned off of sertraline (Zoloft). She had dizziness and sweating and her dose has been reduced again. Sertraline worked well for her anxiety but her weight really went up a lot (they wanted to send her to a children's weight control clinic at the Children's hospital) and they finally agreed to take her off of it as they had other kid patients who were having the same issue.

Anyhow, I have to call again on Monday and discuss whether it should be continued at such a low dose. She has been pretty hyper the past couple of days but is also recovering from an upper resp. virus that really had her down for a few days. So hard to know what is causing what!

Thanks!

Haven't read responses, but my psychiatrist prescribed it for me for anxiety.  It made a tremendous, obvious difference fairly quickly (within a week).  Definitely made a difference.  Here's hoping it works for you guys!

ETA:  I do have a Xanax prescription, but even before the buspar, I was taking it about twice a week.  My problem was that I was very reluctant to take it and wasn't taking it when I should have been.  With the buspar, I take the Xanax about once a month, and I don't have as much daily anxiety.  (I do also take Zoloft.  And lamictal.  And....well, we should stop there.)  :-)