Menu

Have you ever...?

Have you ever gone on a vacation, and then come back home, only to have the place "stay" with you longer than you expected? We went up to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont in May, and now we can't stop thinking about wanting to go back there. My husband feels the same way. We seem fixated on "North-ness" now. Could it be the summer heat of New Jersey getting to us? Will we feel the same way when winter snows blow? :D

Seriously, though, I think something major happened to us on the inside on our little one-week vacation to New England. :bigear:

I was born and raised in New Jersey and have very fond memories of my years there. But in 1980 I married my husband and we moved to New England and I love it! Yes, the winters are cold, but I've adapted. My sister still lives in New Jersey and, now that I think about it, I think she's had worse winters than we have had these last few years.

It took some time to get used to the New England accent. :)

What will definitely convince you to move to New England is a summer in Wolfeboro, NH (yes, the Romneys have a summer place here and the family is very nice. Saw Ann Romney in the grocery store this summer. She really does her own grocery shopping!) where I've had the privilege to be caring for my father-in-law who has terminal lung cancer. I also love Maine. From my home in Massachusetts, I can be in Boston in 45 minutes, the Lakes Region in 1.5 hours, and the ocean in less than a half hour. Love it!

Edited by ccm

The Adirondack Mountains have that effect on us. We feel cheated this year that we most likely will not be able to get away for the total relaxation and peace we feel there. Every time we come back home i'm struck by the ugliness of suburbia and how closed in everything feels.

I love finding treasures like that; it's for this reason I feel there are bits of me left in quiet, gorgeous places all over the world. :001_wub:

Though he walked and breathed, and about him living leaves and flowers were stirred by the same cool wind as fanned his face, Frodo felt that he was in a timeless land that did not fade or change or fall into forgetfulness. When he had gone and passed again into the outer world, still Frodo the wanderer from the Shire would walk there, upon the grass among elanor and niphredil in fair Lothlorien.

I hated Paris so much that I told dh that I would only go back if one of my sons really wanted me to go with them- the rudest people ever. Once was more than enough.

I like the Netherlands. I would go back to the Netherlands in a heartbeat, but only in the summer.

However, my favorite, favorite city is San Francisco. :D Like the previous poster anywhere in northern California would be alright with me. My dad's parents lived in northern California when I was in middle school and I went there in the summers. My uncle still lives there. I remember walking down the street and eating cherries off the trees as I walked. Although I like northern California in general, San Francisco is da bomb! The last time I went was for some computer training 11 years ago. :eek: :(

Mandy

Yes. For me, it's northern Michigan. I just love the cool, mossy forests and the lakes. It's a hunger, and I find myself pining to be back there all the time.

:iagree: My inlaws have a cottage in northern Michigan and it is my most favorite place to be in the whole world. I'm not sure if it's Lake Michigan right down the street, the deer that walk through the back yard, the eagle that sits out in the bay right out the back window, the beautiful sunsets every night, the bike path out the front door or the lack of internet and tv, but it just calls to me like a siren song and I am always trying to get DH to go on vacation with me there.:lol:

I dream about moving there. I dream about moving to a home in a setting like there. I dream about capturing that feeling I get while I'm there.

Another vote for coastal Maine. I love the sound of the ocean, though I'm not so sure I'd do well with the cold. (I grew up in HI.) I think part of the romance of the place, for me, is that it was our first vacation that we didn't visit family. And since we went after the tourist season it was quiet and peaceful.

I was born and raised in New Jersey and have very fond memories of my years there. But in 1980 I married my husband and we moved to New England and I love it! Yes, the winters are cold, but I've adapted. My sister still lives in New Jersey and, now that I think about it, I think she's had worse winters than we have had these last few years.

It took some time to get used to the New England accent. :)

What will definitely convince you to move to New England is a summer in Wolfeboro, NH (yes, the Romneys have a summer place here and the family is very nice. Saw Ann Romney in the grocery store this summer. She really does her own grocery shopping!) where I've had the privilege to be caring for my father-in-law who has terminal lung cancer. I also love Maine. From my home in Massachusetts, I can be in Boston in 45 minutes, the Lakes Region in 1.5 hours, and the ocean in less than a half hour. Love it!

Good to know, thanks!

Yes. For me, it's northern Michigan. I just love the cool, mossy forests and the lakes. It's a hunger, and I find myself pining to be back there all the time.

Although I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, we camped for the FIRST time in the UP on the shore of Lake Superior this summer. Then we spent a week in Petosky. I begged my DH to buy a farm and move us there! Unfortunately, we aren't farmers. :D

Although I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, we camped for the FIRST time in the UP on the shore of Lake Superior this summer. Then we spent a week in Petosky. I begged my DH to buy a farm and move us there! Unfortunately, we aren't farmers. :D

:lol: I try to convince my DH to buy a farm in northern Michigan but near Lake Michigan. We aren't farmers, I don't like bugs, worms, getting dirty, poop, etc. I don't know why I am convinced I need a farm, but every time we drive up north and pass these beautiful farms with rolling hills, I want one, too.

England. *sigh* Especially Cornwall and Somerset. Best trip ever. I go back there in my head frequently.

I'm always surprised by this. My husband's family lives in England and we have friends here that have moved to Canada from there (one who worked in government) and we here nothing but horror stories about how bad things are in England (money, mafias, dirt and smog and on and on). Everyone is desperate to leave. You could not pay me enough to even visit.

We just went came back from camping in a provincial park and I totally want to live there in a tent under the pines.

I'm always surprised by this. My husband's family lives in England and we have friends here that have moved to Canada from there (one who worked in government) and we here nothing but horror stories about how bad things are in England (money, mafias, dirt and smog and on and on). Everyone is desperate to leave. You could not pay me enough to even visit.

We just went came back from camping in a provincial park and I totally want to live there in a tent under the pines.

My sister lived in the UK for years and really loved it. They came back over here to be near family when they had a baby but culturally they really prefer the UK. I do think they'll go back in a few years. We have thought pretty seriously about going over there for a few years. PS, we just came back from Amherst Shores Provincial Park in NS and it was amazing! I understand the urge to move there for sure.